What kind of rubber for playing with slow backhand stroke?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hi together,
would be happy about hearing your thoughts on the following

I am a typical offensive player that uses forehand Topspin as well as backhand topspin.
focussing on my much stronger forehand in matchplay.

but I strategically like to use my backhand topspin after my service to open up the first top spin on a backspin push from the opponent.
I also try to play backhand topspin / drive when the service from the opponent is longer and attackable.

the issue: my stroke when playing backhand topspin is not fast, it is really slow. Especially my forearm movement is slow, and that’s why is mostly use too mich wrist.
I am working on this problem, but my natural habit seems to be a more slow forearm movement.
this leads to the problem, that some backhand topspins go to the net, especially when there’s more backspin in the ball.
if they pass the net, the balls are mostly not deep but spiny.

I know that working on my forearm stroke is the most important thing.
but besides that I want to hear your thoughts on what kind of rubber would suit better for my backhand stroke.

soft or harder sponge?
less or more catapult?
soft or harder rubber / touch?

I am playing typical innerforce blade (Victas Fire Fall FC, Butterfly ALCs). My rating is around 1800-1900 (US).

thanks a lot for you help
cheers

I think the catapult is actually more important .

Select an hardness around 45 Shore O
with a little catapult, not too much.

It’s hard enough to encourage You to hit harder but not too hard.

I am using Donic accuda S2. When I had a similar problem I got over it with this rubber. But it’s not super spinny.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
What rubber do you play currently? Its not "only" about hardness during TS...A softer sponge comes with drawbacks in serve and short game. In addition the throw of the rubber (arc it makes) is important.
Xiom Vega Pro has a high throw, which helps clearing the net. If that is too hard a Vega Japan is a softer alternative.
Maybe something more tacky could also help. The new hybrid rubbers might be an alternative (C45, Hybrik MK) as they allow you (or even force you) to really hit more through the ball.

This user has no status.
I'm a beginner here, so I'm just asking for the sake of discussion. When I play against short pips, in example my buddy uses them on FH, I feel like the faster I hit the faster he returns the ball back. It's just insane the amount of speed, it forces me to avoid fast balls. Just wondering if a fast short pips rubber on BH could work the same and is an option here.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Lazer suggestion above is a good one, I would add that you could try out some Chinese tacky rubbers on the softer end of the spectrum.

Depending on what you like something 37 degrees or lower could be a solid option.

What is the name of Chinese tacky rubbers lower than 37 degrees ?

Thank you for your kindness sharing.

Best regards,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I want to hear your thoughts on what kind of rubber would suit better for my backhand stroke.

This rubber helped my BH a lot. Some rubber, an old blade and a couple of 3mm steel plates.

RUBBER.jpg