What's the difference between the equipment sold commercially and the equipment used by pros

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The national and Pro stuff is sanctioned by the Office of the Goon Squad, which also enforces illegal procurement and possession.

Carl over years has acquired some really sophisticated and capable phone spy equipment and has facilities in Krooklyn that would blow your mind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Can someone shed some light on this?
A few short points.
- There are "pro" versions of some rubbers that are not available commercially, but even not every sponsored player gets them
- Mostly the difference lies in the selection/quality control.
- Often the difference lies only in the sponge hardness.
- Some pros even play rubbers they buy from the shop. It is rare for a top player to be without contract, but it happens.
- Don´t think too much about it. Rubber quality - whether BTY or other brands´ top range - is so good and consistent now that what you get would fit many a pro´s needs. And actually, some sponsored players are supplied with these.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Butterfly contracted top pros and butterfly sponsored pros for example are different.
Butterfly has thousands of sponsored players, and maybe few hundred contracted players (Butterfly pays them money to play with Butterfly).

Contracted players can get customized equipment.
Blade is more common, since each player's technical requirement is pretty much different.

From rubber standing point, there is only "so much" they can tweak.
Butterfly rubbers are already pretty high quality, but for example, T05 Hard has been "in the (pro) market" for years in T05 with customized harder sponge. T05 Hard came out only recently to fit the commericial market.

Specs on the sponge is probably the biggest different tweaks from Butterfly rubbers.
When comes boosting, each player does they own thing.
So sponge thickness customization can also come into play here.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
On rubber (or even blade) I think it has to do with top sheet/sponge quality. For commercial the tolerance is larger. For example, Tenergy 9C specs: Speed 13.5, Spin 10.5 Sponge Hardness 36 , we can expect a tolerance of +/- 10 to 15% while for professionals it is much tighter, say 5%. In rubber business, we (our company) have to pay much more for tighter tolerance rubber due to low yield and more elaborate manufacturing processes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
On rubber (or even blade) I think it has to do with top sheet/sponge quality. For commercial the tolerance is larger. For example, Tenergy 9C specs: Speed 13.5, Spin 10.5 Sponge Hardness 36 , we can expect a tolerance of +/- 10 to 15% while for professionals it is much tighter, say 5%. In rubber business, we (our company) have to pay much more for tighter tolerance rubber due to low yield and more elaborate manufacturing processes.
I think for TT rubber manufacturers, they can just use stricter selection to achieve tighter tolerance rather than a different manufacturing process.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I think for TT rubber manufacturers, they can just use stricter selection to achieve tighter tolerance rather than a different manufacturing process.
True, it also depends on how manufactures decide which method will give them the best cost/benefit. The simplest way is using sampling test to decide which lots have the tightest tolerances then give/sell them to professionals. Or they have a proprietary and expensive machines/manufacturing process to create rubbers that are so expensive (like Tenergy Dignics) that only one price is needed for both pro's and amateurs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I guess contracted players uses the material he/she likes better, that's including everything in blades & rubbers....
The purpose of the contract is to supply players with material that makes them successful, so you can advertise with them. If the material isn´t good enough, players might demand their contract to be expanded to allow them to play other/better stuff - this was the case for a long time with tenergy05.

Now most companies keep a strict eye on their players, because their rubbers are equal or in some cases/opinions better than tenergy/dignics. They will eventually let them play with a blade from a different brand, but demand to change the handles. They will most likely not let players use other rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The purpose of the contract is to supply players with material that makes them successful, so you can advertise with them. If the material isn´t good enough, players might demand their contract to be expanded to allow them to play other/better stuff - this was the case for a long time with tenergy05.

Now most companies keep a strict eye on their players, because their rubbers are equal or in some cases/opinions better than tenergy/dignics. They will eventually let them play with a blade from a different brand, but demand to change the handles. They will most likely not let players use other rubbers.

Initially I thought world top pros have the luxury to "not use" products by the brands.
I do know many DHS, Stiga, Donic, Tibhar and Butterfly players for example using other blade/rubbers.
And yes, change handle is quite often. To make sure on quality control, the brands would help do that.

But I knew a few that are "at best" world 100~200 level that had the luxury from the likes of DHS to allow for a non DHS backhand rubber (this was before the days of H8-80, and when 8-80 came out, he happily used that instead of Tenergy)