Who has the greatest 'kill-shot' in table tennis?

Who was the best tt weapon of all time?

• Waldner's Drop Shot Block

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Jorgen Persson's Backhand Swat

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Kreanga's Backhand Loop

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Xu Xin's Round the Net Loop

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Samsonov's Forehand Loop Extreme Angle

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Werner Schlager's Ace Serve

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Timo Boll's Hand Switch Forehand Loop

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Ma Lin's Forehand Counterloop

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • Wang Hao's Reverse Pengrip Backhand

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
If you're gonna get Waldner to compare with Xu Xin why not throw in Wang Liqin's forehand everything. He ruled the first decade of 2000's with that forehand. Mostly within the Speed Glue era, but even today his forehand is still killer which is why no one lets him have a fh rally because they can attack his backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Ma Lin does this quite well and has as good a drop shot as Waldner, but the difference is that Waldner started the whole drop shot during the 38 mm ball and Ma started using it during the 40 mm era.

But no I would have to disagree with you there moriguchi. A lot of "kill shots" at least from the Europeans aren't about speed or spin. They're about accuracy. Maze has some great lobbing technique or did have until they started dropping on him. Ma Long and ZJK both have great backhands that can really place them anywhere on the table for service return. Excluding the Chinese it's typically about placement. The Chinese add in speed to the mix because they don't want people to be able to predict properly where they will hit the ball. The less time they have to calculate the better for them.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Well for my 1000th forum post I decided to venture back to this old thread for some reason. Just thought some new members would like to contribute their opinions and votes to it! :)

Been awesome being part of TTDaily so far, looking forward to much more in the future :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Indeed.
1000 posts! good effort no.4! ;)

I agree Wang Liqin had the best loop of the 2000s, but now Ma Long and Zhang Jike have taken over, as well as Xu Xin.
Wang Hao was always great to watch, really smooth.
The most effective is hard to pick!
Schlager had one of the most impressive third-ball kill shots ever. Nice setup with the fast serve out wide, followed by a kill shot down the line.