Why does the vast majority of top pros use ALC instead of ZLC?

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I guess, alc has more time in the business overall. Many coaches were suggesting to pick viscaria or timo boll alc to a perspective kids 10-15 years ago, that now are seasoned pros. And its little bit more consistent than zlc, with higher arc.
But will see in near future, maybe it will be the opposite.

Felix Lebrun was playing with innerforce layer zlc, now he is using tibhar inner zlc that was developed for him. And yes in Japan zlc is very popular.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Most pros can also generate their own spin though - a lot comes to what you just like.
True, but I'd argue that spin is more important; you'd want maximum/a lot of spin from touch shots, serves, push, flick, loop, but you won't need max speed for most of these shots.

This user has no status.
Honest reason is having a star player. The Viscaria was released in 1993 but ALC didn't seem to take off in quite the mad manner it has until after Zhang Jike in 2012. Prior to this lots of people used all wood such as WLQ, ML, WH, ML etc etc and people bought those blades at a great rate. But since 2012 every single major tournament was won with ALC.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
This is your winner! :ROFLMAO: ;)
I often wonder if it was actually the 40+ ball that set off the widespread transition to artificial fiber blades, or just that players were simply getting better at pushing the two winged topspin meta requiring harder sponges and blades that yielded easier speed.

Gionis P. who uses Petr Korbel unfriend Scarfed Garchomp.
Tbh defenders are the only group that seem like they will never widely adopt fiber blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I often wonder if it was actually the 40+ ball that set off the widespread transition to artificial fiber blades, or just that players were simply getting better at pushing the two winged topspin meta requiring harder sponges and blades that yielded easier speed.
It clearly was the 40+ ball, just about everyone using a Korbel or some all wood precious favorite went to something faster or an innerforce with carbon kick - it did begin with the 40mm ball but the 40+ just ended the discussion for many more players - some compromised and stopped at 7 plies all wood, but they are the exception not the norm and not at the very top of the rankings. Also the loss of spin and the need for spinnier rubbers created the hybrid rubber monsters that needed to be compensated for with faster blades. The table size limits make speed and power have a limit on their returns in TT.