Why it is hard for umpires to call hidden serves

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
W.r.t. this serve that got banned, in your badminton circle, if an amateur tries it during a friendly game, will he be chastised and warned not to do it or will people in the play area tolerate and tell the receiver to suck i
There are a few things a serve can be called 'foul' for in badminton. If a serve was blatantly foul, it would be called, borderline was generally similar to TT - suck it up- because it's harder to really get an advantage.
Badminton react pretty quickly to serves that give an unfair advantage. when I was playing, hitting the feathers before or at the same time as the cork base when serving became common practice and was allowed for a while, but it made the shuttle wobble and fly with a weird trajectory. Returning serves like this was a nightmare, even for the Pros, this was acted upon and eventually banned.
This 'Spin' serve is very recent and appears to have been banned quickly, I have no experience with this serve, but is easily identifiable by all accounts and therefore easy to implement the ban during matches Etc

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I also played with some retired national team players from various countries. And their serves are as illegal or worse than most amateurs.
I think there's an age factor with that. Some older people who learned TT years ago before the new rules were put in place didn't learn that way. So that's what they grew up doing and to them is normal. I've played a few people who literally threw the ball into the racquet to serve. Kinda like the Zhou Qihao serve but not as deadly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
It's endemic, especially in premier division. Just look at 'the words greatest server' ttd video done a while back, a lot of it was hidden and the camera even has a better angle than the player has.

The only choice you have is to develop illegal serves of your own and bring them out if the opponent starts serving illegally. Then when they complain, and an umpire comes to watch, go back to your normal serves and wait for your opponent to get faulted. If you can pull that off, it's a quality psychological attack. (y)

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
It's endemic, especially in premier division. Just look at 'the words greatest server' ttd video done a while back, a lot of it was hidden and the camera even has a better angle than the player has.

The only choice you have is to develop illegal serves of your own and bring them out if the opponent starts serving illegally. Then when they complain, and an umpire comes to watch, go back to your normal serves and wait for your opponent to get faulted. If you can pull that off, it's a quality psychological attack. (y)
That's a great idea. I'm going to study the Zhou Qihao serves now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I wish somebody would have shown me this perfectly legal serve when I was a widdle boy 😁
It might have changed my whole life and I probably would have developed into a complete prick. 😁
View attachment 29528
Thats the result of a society that doesn't value ethics. It's totally legal but also unfair. If all kids at that level developed that serve there wouldn't be any need to play the game.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Thats the result of a society that doesn't value ethics. It's totally legal but also unfair. If all kids at that level developed that serve there wouldn't be any need to play the game.
I sure appreciate your deep philosophical insight. The adults around the table seem to get a good laugh out of it but of course the little boy on the receiving end ended up in tears.
I think somewhere in the ITTF rules there is a section about fair -play but maybe I am wrong and it could be in the Ice hokey rules.
If all kids would learn this serve it could either be the beginning of world peace, as in "there is no sense in fighting any more" or it would more likely develop into the next world war.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I sure appreciate your deep philosophical insight. The adults around the table seem to get a good laugh out of it but of course the little boy on the receiving end ended up in tears.
I think somewhere in the ITTF rules there is a section about fair -play but maybe I am wrong and it could be in the Ice hokey rules.
If all kids would learn this serve it could either be the beginning of world peace, as in "there is no sense in fighting any more" or it would more likely develop into the next world war.
Well maybe not a world war but amongst parents for sure. lol

• Haha
Reactions: lodro