WTT Champions Frankfurt 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Who, from where, is able to watch? With my German YT account nothing was streamed (only short consumptions of the German players from the DTTB). As I’m in Argentina right now, with the lokal account the match of WCQ was offered via the WCQ-Fanclub. But also, no stream from the event published by the WTT. 🤬
Good Question, I watched from Poland (neighbor of Germany) and had to use VPN with my location in Germany to watch it as w/o VPN nothing popped up. This is ridiculous!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Where did you watch it?
He's been struggling with the backhand rallies more and more in recent years.
This tournament will be very interesting to watch.
A private recording on Bilibili

I watched his game with Truls it confirmed my suspicions. If he plays the final FZD will be lucky to get 2 sets.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Miwa just won against Hirano. She gets an opportunity to knock down Hayata in the next round. If she does, she's in good shape to claim the N1 spot in Japan next January at the National Champs. I think she's ready for it.
Hmmm. I would need more than 1 win to be convinced. It would certainly be a great win. But one win doesn't make a trend. I think Miwa's 3-2 loss to Adriana Diaz contrasts sharply with Hayata's 4-0 win over Diaz at the same tournament (WTT Contender Muscat). Regardless, there's a lot to be excited about with the trio of Hayata, Hirano, and Harimoto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Miwa just won against Hirano. She gets an opportunity to knock down Hayata in the next round. If she does, she's in good shape to claim the N1 spot in Japan next January at the National Champs. I think she's ready for it.
Yes, I have to see that first to be convinced.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Muscat feels like a decade ago LOL
Almaty feels like yesterday though. And Hayata's win over Miwa there looked like a pretty comfortable one so I'm not sure what sort of changes can occur in a couple of weeks. Maybe they're close enough where a bit more consistency on Miwa's part and/or a sub-par Hayata performance makes things more even?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Tsk, tsk, tsk, stakes!

Hirano lost 2-4 in QF after leading 2-1 at Zennoh Cup Hiratsuka in early May (Ito 2-4 Nagasaki in R16), only to win 4-0 at Zennoh Cup Tokyo in late July (Ito 4-3 Hirano in SF, Hirano had 2 match points).

It's very clear by now that, in this cycle, Hirano's true form only comes out when her back is against the ropes. Her target is Ito. Her other teammates are on the back burner. Her ~57% win rate against China in 2022 and 2023 isn't just for show.

Selection checkpoints:
Asian Games 2022 Selection Trial = 1st for Hirano (avenged her losses to Kihara and Ishikawa in the first selection at Lion Cup 2022 and Sato at All-Japan TTC 2022, and ended her losing streak against Kihara)
Zennoh Cup Funabashi -> WTTC 2023 = 1st for Hirano (had the toughest draw, 4-1 Mende R32, 4-3 Yokoi R16, 4-0 Ito QF, 4-2 Shibata SF, 4-2 Hayata F)
Nojima Cup 2023 -> ATTC 2023 = 1st for Hirano (4-3 Ito, G7 7:9 -> 11:9)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Tsu, tsu, tsu, stakes!

Hirano lost 2-4 in QF after leading 2-1 at Zennoh Cup Hiratsuka in early May (Ito 2-4 Nagasaki in R16), only to win 4-0 at Zennoh Cup Tokyo in late July (Ito 4-3 Hirano in SF, Hirano had 2 match points).

It's very clear by now that, in this cycle, Hirano's true form only comes out when her back is against the ropes. Her target is Ito. Her other teammates are on the back burner. Her ~57% win rate against China in 2022 and 2023 isn't just for show.

Selection checkpoints:
Asian Games 2022 Selection Trial = 1st for Hirano
Zennoh Cup Funabashi -> WTTC 2023 = 1st for Hirano
Nojima Cup 2023 -> ATTC 2023 = 1st for Hirano
I do hope Miu Hirano gets that 2nd Olympic singles spot. And you're right that she did well at those selection points. However, she made it harder on herself by losing to Pyon Song Gyong at the Asian Games. She could really use those 10 extra points to separate herself from Mima ito further in the Paris 2024 race.

It would have been really nice if she had beaten Miwa today to help secure a spot in the WTT Finals. Now, she has to hope YXX loses to Han Ying. Also, making WTT Finals would not be a problem at all if she hadn't had strange losses earlier in the year to Pavade, Lily Zhang, and Bruna Takahashi. But the situation is what it is. I hope she makes it to WTT Finals.

Jan 2018
I do hope Miu Hirano gets that 2nd Olympic singles spot. And you're right that she did well at those selection points. However, she made it harder on herself by losing to Pyon Song Gyong at the Asian Games. She could really use those 10 extra points to separate herself from Mima ito further in the Paris 2024 race.

It would have been really nice if she had beaten Miwa today to help secure a spot in the WTT Finals. Now, she has to hope YXX loses to Han Ying. Also, making WTT Finals would not be a problem at all if she hadn't had strange losses earlier in the year to Pavade, Lily Zhang, and Bruna Takahashi. But the situation is what it is. I hope she makes it to WTT Finals.
Hirano's win rate against teammates has always been poor (but her overall H2H is actually decent). Coincidentally, her win rate against non-CNT overseas players (100% at the start of 2023) only started dipping after the points for beating top 3 CNT players came into effect this year. It is easy to tell from the breakdown below that she has had her eyes on the core CNT players this year. The root cause for getting Hirano stuck in the "ELO hell" still comes down to Ishikawa retiring at the wrong time.

When Hirano was on the verge of dropping out last year, I still rated her as the best in performance, all because of that 3-4 loss against CM at WTTC 2021. Interestingly, Kato also had her eye on Hirano ahead of WTTC 2023. Like I once wrote, Hirano is like ZJK, Ito is like ML and Hayata is like XX in terms of trajecotry.

As for Harimoto, once again, she will have to get past Kihara and Nagasaki first, on top of Hayata. She is up against the strongest generation here [comments by Hirano, Hayata, Nagasaki].

WTT SCT Goa 2023, 2/27-3/5
SF Hirano 2-0 -> 2-3 CIC (first loss to non-CNT overseas players in this cycle. CIC also beat Hayata earlier in R32 and then Ito in R16 at WTT CS Macao 2023)

Singapore Smash 2023, 3/7-19
R32 Hirano 2-0 -> 3-2 WYD (WR3 for that week only)
R16 Hirano 1-0 -> 2-3 Zhang Rui

WTT SCT Bangkok, 4/23-29
R16 Hirano 0-3 Lily Zhang

WTTC 2023, 5/20-28
R128 4-0 Zeng Jian
R64 4-2 Kaufmann
R32 4-0 JJH
R16 0-4 WYD (WR3 for that week only again. Hirano said it was a lost cause after losing G2 12:14 and G3 9:11)

WTT CT Tunis, 6/20-25 (right after Nojima Cup 2023)
R16 1-3 Takahashi

WTT CT Zagreb 2023, 6/26-7/2
QF Hirano 3-1 LWS
SF Hirano 3-1 KM
F Hirano 4-3 SYS (WR1, 3-year-and-9-month win streak against overseas players broken)

WTT CT Lima 2023, 7/31-8/6
R16 0-3 Pavade (forfeited in G2 due to leg cramp)

ATTC 2023, 9/3-10
WT
SF Hirano 1-3 CM (WR2)
WS
R64 Hirano 3-0 Li Ying Im
R32 Hirano 3-1 Yang Ha Eun
R16 Hirano 0-3 CXT (WR4)

Asian Games 2022, 9/23-10/8
WT
SF Hirano 2-3 JJH
F Hirano 2-1 -> 2-3 CM (WR2)
WS
R32 4-0 SUWAL Sikka
R16 2-4 Pyon Song Gyong (Hirano won 4-1 at Buenos Aires 2018 but she said there was little intel after the pandemic)

Last edited: