WTT Singapore Smash 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Chinese is by far the most spoken language in the world, so the Chinese may ask you the same question – why don't you communicate in Chinese? The answer you give will be the same as their answer.
Come on... be serious

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Age (though to be fair, her opponent was older). But her opponent has been injured far more and all that Chinese training has to catch up to Chen Meng some day...
as I've said in another topic, age is not a valid excuse here, as the 3 times she and Wang have been defeated it was by 32.6 aged players on average. Ma Lin is the burden here...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That's a fair assessment, let's see how the matches play out. He beat just about everyone on the CNT in the trials other than Ma Long. Ma Long needs the rating points here to keep his ranking more than anyone else, as he has a bunch going off in April (Olympic Games).
He also didn't play anyone in the CNT though. He didn't play against LJK, WCQ, LGY, or even the interesting young players like LSD or XYB who has beaten quite a few top Chinese players in the superleague.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
  • Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He also didn't play anyone in the CNT though. He didn't play against LJK, WCQ, LGY, or even the interesting young players like LSD or XYB who has beaten quite a few top Chinese players in the superleague.
The guys I saw were trying to beat him like everyone else and he got to the finals, it is not his fault that WCQ got injured or that no one could beat him. - once those 4 got to the semifinals, the competition became largely useless as those four were going to the WTTC anyways. Those guys who all got to the semifinals are all automatic picks, it is the guys trying to beat them that are motivated. In a sense, Ma Long probably had the most motivation since last time, they didn't let him go so that Fan could win the WTTC. So by winning the trials, he (kinda) made sure they couldn't do that again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
"by far"...

yeah !!

what is "far" to you ? 1 centimeter ?

and "Native" is a bit of a xenophobic statement here, millions of africans are native french speakers, they learn it in their family and at school in Senegal, Mali, Cameroun, Ivory Coast, Gabon and so on... as they also learn french history like "our ancestors the gauls"... and yes it's a bit stupid here, I know. The regional languages come way after that.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but can anyone tell me why CNT do not speak English? After winning the match during interview they are supported by interpreter in other sports even if you are not native English but you rock in particular disciplines and are famous at least you are able to communicate in English and replay some basic questions (even doing some mistakes but everyone can undestand).
Ding Ning once famously tried that; it was not so smooth. Let's just say, let her speak in her native language and let the interpreter do his / her job. Everyone is happier for it.

Let those professional players concentrate on playing spectacular table-tennis for our enjoyment and let the professional interpreter do their job. Not everyone can be everything everywhere all at once in real life. Everything everywhere all at once only happens in Hollywood block-buster reel life.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I said CHINESE not Mandarin.

This is getting more and more off-topic but I'd argue that "Chinese" is not a language. Mandarin and Cantonese are not mutually intelligible. This makes them less related than say Portuguese and Spanish. Up to the early 20th century, Mandarin wasn't yet made the official language of China, and in the not-so-distant past, "China" was a fractured sub-continent with dozens if not hundreds of distinct ethnicities, cultures, and languages.

At least in terms of people of different countries attempting to communicate with each other through a intermediate language, English dominates. And using "by far" to describe its prevalance is accurate and might even be an understatement.

But, back to the topic, I will never fault an athlete for choosing not to communicate in a language uncomfortable to them. Shohei Ohtani is probably the biggest star in Japan and in the MLB, and he chooses to use an interpreter despite the fact that he does speak English pretty well. These athletes have a lot on their minds, and the mental burden of trying to avoid verbal gaffes and mistakes on top of being at peak physical performance doesn't seem worthwhile.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thriller of a match between Truls Moregard and Shinsuke Togami. Ended with the best rally of the match, which is always exciting.
The most annoying part for me is that you don't get to see the serve! And in a post-match interview, Truls said it was a serve his father likes a lot but he doesn't like so much. They didn't even replay it. Great job, WTT!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019