Youth coach: fun pingpong games

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi,

since recently I've started co-coaching the youngsters of our clubs. We always give basic exercises and after that there is a fun thing/game the last 15 minutes, like emperor's game, round the table running, playing in teams... etc etc.

So I was wondering, if someone else is also a coach and if you would also know some fun games of fun exercises to give. The training also has to be amusing for the youngsters or otherwise they won't come back.

Cheers!

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I've been coaching juniors since I was just 16 myself since there were no coaches where I lived before, now I'm an ITTF level 1 coach and am about to start coaching in all the schools in my region.

I've always tried to make coaching the kids fun, it's the best way to get them to keep coming back until the point where you know they are ready to get stuck in to the hard stuff.

A game I always love to use is splitting the group into two teams and using one table, one person from each team plays at once and it's knockout. The team which beats all of the other teams players first wins a point and depending on how many in the group you can say first to 11 points or first to 5 points. If there is a player who no one can seem to beat, sometimes I will give them a lifeline and jump in and knock that kid out so others can play too haha.

Also I like to do stuff like serving for targets like lollipops and chocolate bars. It's good to give them incentives and rewards and stuff. With the youngest group of kids we always seem to end up playing DONKEY where u run around the table and hit the ball when ur at each end and if u miss u get a letter etc.

The other thing u can do is play up and down tables to 11 but change so they have to play pengrip, right handed, only forehands, only backhands etc. :)

I use lots more too but there is a few for you :D

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Sure mate. I have a few.

Exercise #1 (you probably know some if not all of these) hehehe

Every child needs a ball. It should be the size of a tennis ball or slightly bigger. The coach will need five hoops and a big wooden or carton box. Some common drills are:

1.Running around the room with a ball.

2.Running around the room throwing the ball in the air and catching it carefully without falling down.

3.Running around the room while bouncing the ball on the ground continuously.

4.Alternating between the above exercises whenever the coach blows his whistle.

*The above exercises starting from the squatting position.

5.The children try to throw the ball in a hoop hanging from a wall at a height of 2-3m (the children are to aim for the center of the hoop).

6.The children try to throw the ball in a big box at a 10-15cm distance.

All the above exercises must be done in a simple way. Many children do not know to use a ball. The purpose of this session is to see to what extent the child can master the ball. In this session, the concentration level of each child should be carefully monitored.

Exercise #2 (you probably know these as well)

The equipment needed in this session is tennis balls, table tennis balls and table tennis rackets. The session is divided into three parts.
The first part starts with running exercises as in previous sessions.
In the second part, the tennis ball exercises are continued but at the same time great attention is paid to the bouncing of the ball.
The children must discover by themselves, the required tossing height of the ball. The coach must emphasize the initial movement of the arm when tossing the ball as well as the follow through movements of the body.

Drills

1.The children bounce the ball with one hand from a standing, a sitting, a walking, a running, and a jumping position.

2.They run while bouncing the ball without chasing after it.

3.They run and bounce the ball with right and then their left hand to various heights.

4.The children do all the above exercises zigzagging through obstacles.

5.Switching FH and BH while bouncing the balls on the racket. Repeat 1-4

The aim in all the above exercises is to give symmetry and rhythm to the children's' movements. At this point, the children must learn to master their body. In the third part of the session, the children are presented with a table tennis racket for the first time. The coach will say a few words about the racket its history and how it developed into what it is now (material, shape, weight.). The children are shown both grips (European-Asian), some simple movements are shown and then the coach moves on to the first drill.

*Always have prizes for the best performance, effort, ingenuity, stamina, or whatever that you can think of. Always works for me;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I always enjoyed teaching the kids Floor Pong just as a good warm up and ice breaker for players at the beginner level between the ages of 10-17. Any younger and they typically don't have the coordination to keep up with the game.

The game is played with a proper TT service, but the amount of players is only limited to how many people have paddles and can fit into the gym.
1 serves to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and so on with the last person serving back to 1, but after service the player returning service must allow the ball to hit the floor once then hit it back onto the table. You are penalized with 'strikes' by not getting the ball back onto the table after bouncing on the floor once, hitting the ceiling, or being hit by the ball out of sequence; meaning if you are unable to return the ball on the table you may attempt to hit the ball towards the body of another player. They however may try to block with their paddle which would give you a strike or if they fail to block they would receive a strike. If you are near a wall you may also attempt to bank the ball off the wall back onto the table. If you however are unable to return the ball or if it strikes another player you are they would receive a strike respectively.

The next person to serve is always the player next in sequence to the player who received a strike from the previous point. When a player has 3 strikes they're out, and all players in sequence after that player move up by one number (i.e. if you and two other players are 6, 7, and 8 and player 5 was struck out you would become 5 with the other two 6 and 7).

The game is meant to be an around the world type game, but with less strict rules and more creative thinking involved. The use of spin is encouraged and the only rule of conduct is that no player is allowed to hit the ball out of sequence except to block a ball being struck towards their body.

Mar 2011
The racket and table tennis ball exercise

The equipment needed for this session are hoops and table tennis balls. In the first part the hoops are used.

Drills

1.The children wheel the hoops by their side while running from one side of the room to the other.

2.The children hold the hoops parallel to the floor at a height of 30-40cm jumping in and out of them with their feet joined and the knees high.

3.They throw the hoops high above them and as they fall they try to get into them.

In the second part, the coach uses the table tennis rackets and balls. The coach can have the children to balance drills with the ball on the racket. The children see how long they can keep the ball still on the racket. The coach can then proceed with the wall exercise.

1.If you want to make this drill a little more difficult, draw a line with chalk on the wall and at a height of 100-150cm, so that the ball will strike the wall over the marked height. The children must use both sides of the racket.

2.The following step is to draw circles on the wall with a diameter of 40cm and at a height of 150cm. The children do the wall drill, but this time aiming at the center of the circle.

*During the session the coach checks that they are using the correct grip and little by little he starts correcting their arm movements. In the first stage, the ball strikes the floor before it is hit with the racket.

In the second stage, the ball is hit before it bounces. The coach must pay great attention to the children's body movements. The mistakes must be corrected immediately. All the drills from the second part of the session can be done in pairs, to add a sense of competition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thx for the warm-up exercises azlan. We only have like 55 minutes for each group (3 groups in total), so we don't do any warm-up unfortunately..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Match/Teamwork

An exercise, that i thing is both good for the table tennis skill and the teamwork as well as fun between the children:

Split the children i two teams. In the teams the players gives each other numbers from 1-?. One after one they compete against one from the other team. They play one set witch starts at 10-10. The winner of the set stays at the table. The first team, who reach 21 wins, win win.