Yu Ziyang the new Fan Zhendong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
He is 16 years old and probably shy and did not knew what to do. Also you cant really say he did it because he wanted to steal the point we dont have any proof and there will never be...

If he was in doubt,why did he agree and say it was in?he could have requested a replay

Shy?i doubt it.just listen to him after he wins a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Yu Ziyang is very good for his age. Watching him play in the World Junior championships against Yuto Muramatsu you could see that he was a very good player. They played twice and from what I remember didn't even drop a set in the finals of teams and singles. Winning those championships so convincingly makes him the best of "his generation", he also beat the other top chinese of that age group. I believe he may even be as good as ZJK Ma Long and Xu Xin were at that age. However he is no match for FZD and I doubt he ever will be. It's just that FZD is an exception, a prodigy. It must be tough for anyone else to be following his shadow and always compared to him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Yu Ziyang is very good for his age. Watching him play in the World Junior championships against Yuto Muramatsu you could see that he was a very good player. They played twice and from what I remember didn't even drop a set in the finals of teams and singles. Winning those championships so convincingly makes him the best of "his generation", he also beat the other top chinese of that age group. I believe he may even be as good as ZJK Ma Long and Xu Xin were at that age. However he is no match for FZD and I doubt he ever will be. It's just that FZD is an exception, a prodigy. It must be tough for anyone else to be following his shadow and always compared to him.

His generation includes FZD,so he isnt near the best:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
His generation includes FZD,so he isnt near the best:p

True, although technically I believe he is one or two years younger. Also I believe Liang Jingkun is the same as as him so he might not even be the best of his age. He seems to beat LJK but LJK does much better within China, look how well he did in the trials beating ZJK

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
True, although technically I believe he is one or two years younger. Also I believe Liang Jingkun is the same as as him so he might not even be the best of his age. He seems to beat LJK but LJK does much better within China, look how well he did in the trials beating ZJK

True that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews

Liang Jingkun is 2 years older and Fan Zhendong is 1 year older than Yu Ziyang.
Personally, I find the touch/ball handling of Yu Ziyang really really good, the best of the "new generation". Especially his game over the table (his FH flick is insane) and I think he will be a "top player". Of course, I dont' include FZD, because like Emjay said, he is really one of a kind and a real prodigy.
This is just my opinion though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The only thing I really think about this subject is: I want to see the teenagers from Europe, Korea and Japan starting to have that kind of complete game with forehand, backhand, over the table attacks and mid-distance looping.

Where is the system to train those kinds of players?

Oh yeah, the only place they have such an in depth system is in China. But it would be nice to see some countries get a little more systematic about developing young talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The only thing I really think about this subject is: I want to see the teenagers from Europe, Korea and Japan starting to have that kind of complete game with forehand, backhand, over the table attacks and mid-distance looping.

Where is the system to train those kinds of players?

Oh yeah, the only place they have such an in depth system is in China. But it would be nice to see some countries get a little more systematic about developing young talent.

I know a Chinese student and he told me that he started when he was 5. And from the age of 7 he was forced to play 2 hours a day 6 days per week AT LEAST.

The only real talents in Europe ar children that get involved with their parents tabletennis life and their parents let them play at a very young age already. For example Timo Boll played with his father in the garage at the age of 4

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know a Chinese student and he told me that he started when he was 5. And from the age of 7 he was forced to play 2 hours a day 6 days per week AT LEAST.

The only real talents in Europe ar children that get involved with their parents tabletennis life and their parents let them play at a very young age already. For example Timo Boll played with his father in the garage at the age of 4

Yep, in other countries, the parent has to want the kid to train from an early age. In China there is a whole system for cultivating talent rather than the parent wanting it. Also, in the west, once the kid gets good enough, the parent has to pay for training and travel for the kid to get real systematic coaching. In China the state does that if the kid has talent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yep, in other countries, the parent has to want the kid to train from an early age. In China there is a whole system for cultivating talent rather than the parent wanting it. Also, in the west, once the kid gets good enough, the parent has to pay for training and travel for the kid to get real systematic coaching. In China the state does that if the kid has talent.

Since this thread has been resurrected, i want to add my 2¢...

You might be right in one side, carl, but please also don't forget about the negative aspects to it.

-This military like drills from such an early age.
-Kids separated from their families.
-parents wanting their kids to complete their unfullfilled dreams.
-Michael Jackson (may he r.i.p) was a big example to a 'stolen' childhood.
-some kids who went through all of this don't really behave grown up as an adult, cause they want to relive their lost childhood.

I wouldn't want my son to go through all this, if he didn't want to do this a onehundred percent. This affords a one hundred percent of commitment.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I wouldn't want my son to go through all this, if he didn't want to do this a onehundred percent. This affords a one hundred percent of commitment.

I agree 100%. I wasn't advocating the system as what I would want to happen.

I do think, in China parents want it, because of the potential fame and wealth.

But that doesn't mean it is good for anyone as a human being. It is just why nobody can really compete with China.

I was talking with a friend yesterday and I was telling him he was a better player than I am. He referred to all these things I did better than he did. I said, "I look good in practice and I am happy with that. But you want to win more and you play to win."

We played a best of 5. He won 3-0. In all three games I was up by at least 2 or 3 when I had 8 points. But he pulled out all three games.

I said, "see. And you see how, when you lose a point you get really mad. And when I lose a point I don't. If I mess up, I might yell for second. But then it's forgotten."

He said: "But you don't go home and lose sleep over loses, do you!" And I said, "exactly!"

There is a price, even for this friend, who can't stand losing, that goes with competitive play. I am happy just playing because I love to. I don't do it for some other reason.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: Cornel and Suga D