Zhang jike's lack of motivation?

This user has no status.
Most people here are getting at the similar idea that all players have a bad day. That's true. But Zhang Jike has had a bad couple of months, something we have almost never seen from Wang Liqin, Ma Long, etc. They bounce back quickly. Wang Liqin won three world championships for goodness sake. And yet we all slap Zhang Jike on the wrist and say, "He won the grand slam so now he can slack off." Zhang Jike had one year of solid dominance. Wang Liqin had almost five. He didn't say "well i already won two world championships, I don't need to play hard anymore." He picked it up and won another! All I'm saying is that the Chinese coaches are not going to look at Zhang Jike's losses with such a nonchalant attitude as we are. If Zhang Jike does not show up in the WTTC trials and this coming WTTC, his spot on the national team could be in jeopardy. Chinese coaches are looking for players who are going to play at a dominant level for 7-8 years like Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Wang Liqin, etc. So Zhang Jike had better pick up his game before he gets swallowed up by the young lions who are fighting to the death to make the A team.

All that said, I hope he does bounce back :) We all want a Ma Long vs. Zhang Jike showdown in WTTC don't we?!

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
every player have bad days or weeks but no one have bad 5-6 months. and if he is preparing for squad trails why he have poor performance it that trails and lost to Chen Qi and Xu Xin both 3-0? he don't care anymore , if he loss he will say :"i won that title before". he just lost his motivation.but i think he will show good performance in Grand final because this the only title that he never won.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In 2011, after World Championships, Ma Lin had a bad 6 months and bounced back. He lost to at least 2 players who were not in the top 100 in that period. He lost over and over again to players who he would normally destroy. And he bounced back to respectable form.

But, again, I think some of the issues ZJK is facing has to do with something that might be clinically diagnosed as a psychological condition that has to do with mood swings. In China he might not get that diagnosis. In a different country, he might. I will leave the name of the condition out. But, it might be a mild or not so mild version of a real condition that has to do with chemical imbalances in the brain. :) If that is the case, he has done pretty well against the odds and is amazingly talented.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
It may be easy for us to criticize Zhang Jike, but I think if we were all the in the same position, we'd all be rather complacent by now!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It may be easy for us to criticize Zhang Jike, but I think if we were all the in the same position, we'd all be rather complacent by now!

I don't think there is any reason or need to criticize him. Hopefully he gets his head back in the right place and continues to play great table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
in an interview with liu Gualiang after squad trails he said :" ZJK's problem is lack of fighting sprite and don't want to loss after you won all three big titles can be very hard' so ZJK's problem is not physical.

It seems that you really don't understand the culture of Chinese table tennis. And also, I hope you know Mandarin so that you will understand the REAL meaning of Liu Guoliang's speech.

Do you know Liu Guoliang praised ZJK on the 4th day of trial for WTTC? And Liu blamed Xu Xin on the 1st day and 2nd day?

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
originally posted by delirious:
It seems that you really don't understand the culture of Chinese table tennis. And also, I hope you know Mandarin so that you will understand the REAL meaning of Liu Guoliang's speech.

Do you know Liu Guoliang praised ZJK on the 4th day of trial for WTTC? And Liu blamed Xu Xin on the 1st day and 2nd day?
in last day of trails when ZJK lost to Chen Qi Liu Guoliang warned ZJK.
XX give good answer to Liu when he beat ZJK and ML both 3-0. but after trail ZJK have good chance in astrian open to give answer to Liu , but he only make the condition worst.

This user has no status.
I think that ZJK has had problems with injuries, as you can see from matches in the CSL. He was also injured in 2011 at the Swedish Open. He still played, but very poorly. Don't know why the coaches let him play. It was painful to watch. I can't comment on his mental state, but at the last Pro Tour event, he was clearly somewhere else in his mind and not focused on the game. I also think that there is a great difference in the physical state of the CNT when they are playing the Olympics and the WTTC. They are really not in top condition during the CSL and Pro Tour events. Just look at ZJK at the 2011 WTTC, he was flying around. They really have an extra gear to put in when there is big tournaments due.