How does Evolution FX-P compare to Acuda S3 as upgrades from Mark V?Other rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Well I've played with the FX-P sadly I went through a gluing incident and don't want to glue a new sheet to a bat I have with FX-P until next year. Anyway I did like the FX-P but I do want to hear what some others have to say about maybe Acuda S3 or some other rubbers that have the general Allround playstyle and control the Mark V has. I lean a bit toward Allround offensive play and mainly top spin but I absolutely love to play short game on the table and cut the ball. I have found the Fx-p rubbers are great for this and can compete with even higher spin than Mark V. I mainly use backhand and I play with sponges 1.8 or 1.9. I need my rubber to be good at the short game and good to loop mid distance while having some good control. What do you guys think are good upgrades from Mark V but kind of keeping what I want out of a rubber? I'm sort of focusing in those 2 and I've heard of Andro Hexer /Powersponge/Duro (I heard the PS is a bit slow, not sure how slow), Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft as well.

Sorry to throw the thread off topic but say I have the All blade with Mark V rubbers, my hits are a bit slow so I wanted a faster rubber. Keeping Mark V rubber and upgrading it by say getting thicker sponge and a faster blade? I know I hear of people at a high level with just mark V rubbers because I'm guessing no rubber really plays like Mark V while granting more speed, so they stick with Mark V. I'm not sure if once I want to purchase the set up I could just get thicker sponge and probably a different blade. I just don't want my short game to get compromised. Just an option I'm throwing in.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I hear of people at a high level with just mark V rubbers

I wonder what such higher level represents. I can only say you´d be hard pressed to find any player above substantial amateur level in our country playing with any kind of classic rubber (Mark V, Coppa, Sriver, Speedy Spin, you name them). Exceptions may exist, but would be few and I am very sure these wouldn´t be attacking players, except they´d still speedglue or boost their classics.

On the very low levels, many people would be better off with a classic than a modern high performance rubber.

Recently, some rubbers with reduced speed glue effect have been introduced, such as andro GTT. They give that little extra in addition to a classic while still enabling a very controlled game without being too soft and mushy. You might want to try one of those.

Reactions: eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I wonder what such higher level represents. I can only say you´d be hard pressed to find any player above substantial amateur level in our country playing with any kind of classic rubber (Mark V, Coppa, Sriver, Speedy Spin, you name them). Exceptions may exist, but would be few and I am very sure these wouldn´t be attacking players, except they´d still speedglue or boost their classics.

On the very low levels, many people would be better off with a classic than a modern high performance rubber.

Recently, some rubbers with reduced speed glue effect have been introduced, such as andro GTT. They give that little extra in addition to a classic while still enabling a very controlled game without being too soft and mushy. You might want to try one of those.

Well I hear of people at level 2000 USATT or more playing with Mark V's. Not sure if it's a good option or should I just remove the though of getting more Mark V rubbers. I have though looked through the android line and saw the power sponge and duro and I think since some people state the duro is slow I could try that rubber, I'm not sure how it's short game is but they say the control is promising, the power sponge seems to bottom out.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well I hear of people at level 2000 USATT or more playing with Mark V's. Not sure if it's a good option or should I just remove the though of getting more Mark V rubbers.

Well, it's pretty simple. If you have a consistency in doing any kind of stroke with Mark V and you want a slight more speed, you may thinking about change your rubber. But if you think you don't have consistency when hitting the ball, I think you should train harder before thinking of changing rubber.

The benefit of slower rubber is you can throw your best shot without need to control much power in your stroke. So you can loop without needing to hold back your power. With a fast rubber sometimes you need to hold back the power and focusing more on touch when brushing the ball. This actually make your shot more spinny but lack of speed.

Reactions: OmegaSalix
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Well, it's pretty simple. If you have a consistency in doing any kind of stroke with Mark V and you want a slight more speed, you may thinking about change your rubber. But if you think you don't have consistency when hitting the ball, I think you should train harder before thinking of changing rubber.

The benefit of slower rubber is you can throw your best shot without need to control much power in your stroke. So you can loop without needing to hold back your power. With a fast rubber sometimes you need to hold back the power and focusing more on touch when brushing the ball. This actually make your shot more spinny but lack of speed.

Yea I see what you mean, when I played with the FX-P it took me a bit to start actively brushing more than hitting like I did with Mark V but it was so spiny when I hit the table it would surprise people at how fast it was since it was coming slow. I've looked into maybe getting the Duro 1.9 or power sponge. I can just get the fx-p again on both sides since I was finally getting accustomed to the rubber. I though it was fast but not something I couldn't get use to and feel like it gave me room to improve. I wanted to see if any others have played with the duro or power sponge and compare to fxp.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I wanted to see if any others have played with the duro or power sponge and compare to fxp.

Duro compared to FX-P: Less bouncy, slower, overall very good control. As 1.7 or 1.9 version suitable for ambitioned beginners even. An often overlooked, extremely good and, if for once a name keeps a promise, durable rubber.

As for Powersponge, I have only tried Rasant.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I would consider Acuda Blue P2/P3 too... More control than S3/S2. They have beast spin, meanwhile very controllable.
Only thing is P3 would be very soft (well s3 would be too). From my own experience, I'd go for Acuda Blue P2 if I were you.
Though I never tried the Andro range. It's nice to notice, that it's rated similar to all your suggestions on ttdb, just with better spin and better control. I was considering FX-P for my own bh before I ended up with this rubber, but I found out I wanted a lighter rubber, with closer feel to Jp-03, yet not as soft, and preferably lighter, (jp-02 being too heavy) and Blue P2 met all of those quotas for me.
As well as being more controlled than I thought + the spin rivaling the best rubbers. (especially for plastic balls)
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/donic-acuda-blue-p2.html
This is donic's description (translated)

P2 (45 ° medium soft)
- Novel sponge and pimple geometry
- Very good ball feedback- medium soft, round version the golden mean for offensive and Power-round players
A comfortable lining, the pure joy!
-Novel sponge technology: The medium pore blue sponge softer than conventional sponges despite higher number of degrees
- new pimple geometry: Thin long pimples with large gaps between the individual knobs
-: upper rubber newest generation as with Bluefire M1 Turbo and JP 01 Turbo, good grip, but with a flatter trajectory
Easy to play: - Very good ball feedback , optimal control, powerful sound- Soft stop?
Suitable for players of all game levels (depending on sponge thickness and hardness)

NB: It's also worth noting that the top rubber sheet is very soft, so despite being 45 in sponge hardness (which is still a bit soft, but not too soft), it feels softer when used.
And it's weight is similar to Mark v.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

The point is that most table tennis players ARE amateur level although that may not be the case on this board. Certainly most table tennis players in the UK play in local leagues and think that the players in their top division are pretty special. I play for a club where our first team is one of the best in a town with a population of over 200,000 people and they mostly play with Tenergy rubber and loop. However there is still one of the team who plays with Sriver. I've played table tennis for about 55 years with a 20 year break before I started to play again a couple of years ago after retiring and at my very best was no more than a very poor player in the top division (at that time our league had 12 divisions which are now down to 4!). That still made me a better player than about 90% of players in the town but there was still a huge gap between myself and the very best in the town. However, like the OP, I look for control and when I began playing again started to play with Geospin Tacky for the control. I then changed to use Tenergy 05 FX on my forehand and just recently I've moved to Xiom Vega Europe on the forehand and Tibhar Aurus Soft on the backhand because I was looking for lighter rubber with a combination of spin and control. I've only played with the new rubber for a couple of weeks but love the lighter rubber although I'm not yet quite sure whether the Tibhar Aurus Soft gives me as much control on the backhand as the Geospin Tacky did although it certainly helps with attacking (I'm much more consistent on the backhand side than forehand). I also find that although the Xiom Vega Europe is not as fast as the Tenergy 05 FX that I prefer it. I agree that top level players might not be interested in classic rubbers but most of us certainly are and still want to find something suitable and, in my experiences, the rubber you use can make a huge difference even at the much lower levels that most of us play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I agree that top level players might not be interested in classic rubbers but most of us certainly are and still want to find
something suitable and, in my experiences, the rubber you use can make a huge difference even at the much lower levels that most of us play.

Yes, that is pretty much what I meant.

We have a sytem of 15 leagues from first league down, give or take one or two locally.
You will hardly find any classic rubbers even in the middle of that system, which is local level, getting even more local further down.

Above that, almost nil chance. That is why I was surprised to hear about "high level" players with classics. But I guess it all depends on the relative and absolute definition of "high level".

This user has no status.
Yes, that is pretty much what I meant.

We have a sytem of 15 leagues from first league down, give or take one or two locally.
You will hardly find any classic rubbers even in the middle of that system, which is local level, getting even more local further down.

Above that, almost nil chance. That is why I was surprised to hear about "high level" players with classics. But I guess it all depends on the relative and absolute definition of "high level".
The problem is that there is no absolute definition. Everything is relative. I well remember leaving the UK in 1973 to work for a couple of years in the USA when I was a 2nd or 3rd Division player in the Portsmouth League and finding that I was in the best half dozen players in the state of North Carolina! That was purely because at that time hardly anybody in the USA was interested in table tennis. I'm sure things are vastly different now but it was and is all relative!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I would consider Acuda Blue P2/P3 too... More control than S3/S2. They have beast spin, meanwhile very controllable.
Only thing is P3 would be very soft (well s3 would be too). From my own experience, I'd go for Acuda Blue P2 if I were you.
Though I never tried the Andro range. It's nice to notice, that it's rated similar to all your suggestions on ttdb, just with better spin and better control. I was considering FX-P for my own bh before I ended up with this rubber, but I found out I wanted a lighter rubber, with closer feel to Jp-03, yet not as soft, and preferably lighter, (jp-02 being too heavy) and Blue P2 met all of those quotas for me.
As well as being more controlled than I thought + the spin rivaling the best rubbers. (especially for plastic balls)
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/donic-acuda-blue-p2.html
This is donic's description (translated)

P2 (45 ° medium soft)
- Novel sponge and pimple geometry
- Very good ball feedback- medium soft, round version the golden mean for offensive and Power-round players
A comfortable lining, the pure joy!
-Novel sponge technology: The medium pore blue sponge softer than conventional sponges despite higher number of degrees
- new pimple geometry: Thin long pimples with large gaps between the individual knobs
-: upper rubber newest generation as with Bluefire M1 Turbo and JP 01 Turbo, good grip, but with a flatter trajectory
Easy to play: - Very good ball feedback , optimal control, powerful sound- Soft stop?
Suitable for players of all game levels (depending on sponge thickness and hardness)

NB: It's also worth noting that the top rubber sheet is very soft, so despite being 45 in sponge hardness (which is still a bit soft, but not too soft), it feels softer when used.
And it's weight is similar to Mark v.

I'm not sure if I need something way faster than mark V just something a faster but still has good control, Basically something as fast as FX-P and faster than Mark V. My comparison options are very limited :p After reading the speed on the rubbers like P3 or P2 as it says it's faster than S1 or just as fast and I worry about its catapult effect. I thought the fx-p for example had decent catapult good to push the ball with the extra power I didn't put in my strokes. On the other hand I used the EL-P and thought it had way too much catapult, feels like it was a thin line where catapult can be either good or too much. They say the P3 isn't as good as P2 but that rubber just sounds way too fast. I've read M3 could be an option, but not sure. The reason I don't jump at playing Rakza 7 soft is I hear people say it bottoms out, and I'm going for stuff like 1.8.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Duro compared to FX-P: Less bouncy, slower, overall very good control. As 1.7 or 1.9 version suitable for ambitioned beginners even. An often overlooked, extremely good and, if for once a name keeps a promise, durable rubber.

As for Powersponge, I have only tried Rasant.

Thanks, I barley read any reviews or things said on the Duro rubber. It sounds like a good rubber But I think the fx-p might give me more room to improve and can use it for a long time once I'm use to it. Do you know if on the duro how it's short game and close to the table game is? Mainly in underspin and cutting the ball if you ever dealt with that stuff. I can still choose to try out a Donic rubber like Bluefire M3/S2/P3, maybe I should buy these rubbers used when I get the chance. I mainly play back hand and people either say they loved or disliked these on their backhand, and I like having the same rubber on both sides.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I'm not sure if I need something way faster than mark V just something a faster but still has good control, Basically something as fast as FX-P and faster than Mark V. My comparison options are very limited :p After reading the speed on the rubbers like P3 or P2 as it says it's faster than S1 or just as fast and I worry about its catapult effect. I thought the fx-p for example had decent catapult good to push the ball with the extra power I didn't put in my strokes. On the other hand I used the EL-P and thought it had way too much catapult, feels like it was a thin line where catapult can be either good or too much. They say the P3 isn't as good as P2 but that rubber just sounds way too fast. I've read M3 could be an option, but not sure. The reason I don't jump at playing Rakza 7 soft is I hear people say it bottoms out, and I'm going for stuff like 1.8.

Rakza 7 is minimum as fast as P2, P2 is not beast fast, meanwhile P3 would probably be similar to Rakza 7 soft, but softer, and even slower. The catapult effect on P series is much easier to control than M series.
Even though P series is the newest it's far from the fastest. I do believe it's pretty similar to FX-P in speed.
Also the LAST series I would recommend (out of the 3) is M series, M series is known for being, slightly faster and slightly less controllable than Jp series. and P series is more controllable than Jp series.
Acuda Blue P series brings the best from Bluefire and Acuda series and puts it together.
So you're going in the wrong direction if you'd rather pick M3... you'd rather go with jp-03 in that case, but again I'd rather take P3 over jp-03.

I recommended P2 because it's not as "mushy" as p3. I think p3 is too soft. Also EL-P has a different top sheet from FX-P.
A lot of people don't like the transition to EL-P (from either MX-P or FX-P which both has the same top sheet with just different sponge hardnesses) P3-P2 is just the sponge hardness.

Also, russel, I've tried Aurus "soft" first of, P2 feels softer, and it's also similar in weight. (both being very light).
Meanwhile P2 generates WAY more spin than Aurus. Just saying.

Reactions: russell