What does Table Tennis Need to grow?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
People will generally say MONEY

But for me Table Tennis needs people with skill both on the sport and on his job so he could also support table tennis without living in mediocrity.
Oh, and that person must have the love for table tennis and the drive and the passion to support the sport.
Yep, I will be that guy and hopefully I will duplicate myself to maaany people.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Wish I could just say "good soil, wonderful weather, great seedlings". But we all know that it's not as easy as that. We have been going about this topic or similar to this for aeons. Some might say it has to change from the grass root, and some may say that the head honcho of ITTF must go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Tenis is more attractive to watch because ball is bigger and slower. Then table tennis needs this:

1. Good cameras angles. Because after nice rally you need slow motion.
2. More time between serves. Sometimes they need time for slow motion. In tennis it is not problem but in table tennis is it problem because of "6 balls towel use" rule. Then spectators didn't see how it was nice because everything is really quick.
3. Big TV screens in hall where after nice rally spectators can see slow motion. Otherwise is table tennis very quick and not interesting for spectators. I love table tennis but I don't like watch it live because in TV I can see slow motion.
4. There is too much easy errors in table tennis. Normal spectator don't understand why best players doing so many easy errors. They don't understand rotations of ball and other things. I think todays table tennis is very, very quick and there is too much rotation in ball (but speed is real problem). We will need some regulations for rackets materials (I will not suggest how to regulate it). If you check some really old videos of table tennis then you will see very long and interesting rallies and not too much easy errors (some of them because of ball hidding during serving). Try to check old Waldner's, Person's or young Ma Lin's videos (many other players) and you will see what I am thinking. Todays Chinese players (but not only them) playing almost every attack ball like killer shot. Then players like Boll, Mizutani, Hyuk, Samsonov (many others without killer shot but nice playing technique) have problem. If material is slower then it will be not possible and for winning ball you will need more playing variations (Waldner was really great! :)) and then it will be very interesting to watch.
5. Better quality for online video. It was ITTF's great step these online videos but they will need to improve quality to 720p or more because table tennis's ball is small and very quick. Its sometimes boring watch matches with poor quality.
6. More player types variability. 99% today's players at Pro level playing same style. We need more modern defenders, more asian type defenders (big loops), more all round players or some new player types. If someone want to watch interesting match then very offen watch matches of modern defenders or all round players. Why everybody play same? Because of attacker's advatage. Its easier play attact type of play than others.

Maybe now when everybody will have HD tv at home table tennis will be more popular to watch. We will see.

(And I am sorry for my horrible english but I love this sport! :))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very nicely put .. I think iTTF should take a leaf out of Killerspin match videos .. even though they are of the "exhibition" type .. some of them are really good ...
Tenis is more attractive to watch because ball is bigger and slower. Then table tennis needs this:

1. Good cameras angles. Because after nice rally you need slow motion.
2. More time between serves. Sometimes they need time for slow motion. In tennis it is not problem but in table tennis is it problem because of "6 balls towel use" rule. Then spectators didn't see how it was nice because everything is really quick.
3. Big TV screens in hall where after nice rally spectators can see slow motion. Otherwise is table tennis very quick and not interesting for spectators. I love table tennis but I don't like watch it live because in TV I can see slow motion.
4. There is too much easy errors in table tennis. Normal spectator don't understand why best players doing so many easy errors. They don't understand rotations of ball and other things. I think todays table tennis is very, very quick and there is too much rotation in ball (but speed is real problem). We will need some regulations for rackets materials (I will not suggest how to regulate it). If you check some really old videos of table tennis then you will see very long and interesting rallies and not too much easy errors (some of them because of ball hidding during serving). Try to check old Waldner's, Person's or young Ma Lin's videos (many other players) and you will see what I am thinking. Todays Chinese players (but not only them) playing almost every attack ball like killer shot. Then players like Boll, Mizutani, Hyuk, Samsonov (many others without killer shot but nice playing technique) have problem. If material is slower then it will be not possible and for winning ball you will need more playing variations (Waldner was really great! :)) and then it will be very interesting to watch.
5. Better quality for online video. It was ITTF's great step these online videos but they will need to improve quality to 720p or more because table tennis's ball is small and very quick. Its sometimes boring watch matches with poor quality.
6. More player types variability. 99% today's players at Pro level playing same style. We need more modern defenders, more asian type defenders (big loops), more all round players or some new player types. If someone want to watch interesting match then very offen watch matches of modern defenders or all round players. Why everybody play same? Because of attacker's advatage. Its easier play attact type of play than others.

Maybe now when everybody will have HD tv at home table tennis will be more popular to watch. We will see.

(And I am sorry for my horrible english but I love this sport! :))

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I don't think there is anything wrong with table tennis as a sport. Slowing it down would definitely not make it more popular, but just confirm people's thoughts that table tennis is not a tough sport. If people get interested in table tennis they will be able to see what happens on TV and in the top a bit. But you can't really see the accuracy, serve variation and spin variation that the pro's use that much anyway. The main thing to do to make table tennis more popular is by having someone to identify with. In China, there's many to pick from, in Japan there's Mizutani, in Germany there's Boll. Table tennis is quite popular in Germany, and quite impopular in the Netherlands. I don't think there is much difference in people's attitude or TV coverage. But Germans have a hero in tt, and Dutch people don't really have that at the moment. I think that's the major difference. To make table tennis more popular, all you need is a hero.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Maybe we need a few Sharapova to play in TT...But just like tennis, we may need introduce more table tennis exhibition match. These are really interesting, especially I found that Tennis and TT should be considered as one of few sports that easy to entertain the spectators. This should able to draw more people to try on the sport when they see TT can be so fun to play

But I was always wondering, because badminton suppose to be considered as the fastest racket sport (the shuttle speed can up to 350km/hr). But yet the player still able to sustain a real long rally. The price money, spectator are alots more than the TT, while there are like only few manufacture that donimating the badminton market (lol yonex). And I just has no idea why TT has such less price money...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
I read yesterday asnwers from Samsonov and I am very happy. Many people woried about new balls and I am very happy about it. He wrote they are better because they are harder and more round. Then players will do less errors because of bad ball. And because they are little harder they had less spin and jump more. We will see. I want to try them :)

Mar 2011
Dici said:
But I was always wondering, because badminton suppose to be considered as the fastest racket sport (the shuttle speed can up to 350km/hr). But yet the player still able to sustain a real long rally. The price money, spectator are alots more than the TT, while there are like only few manufacture that donimating the badminton market (lol yonex). And I just has no idea why TT has such less price money...

In case some of the members still wondering about badminton, here are some videos featuring the world no1:

The 1st shot shows the malaysia no2 training against 2 players, the 2nd shot shows the no1 playing against 3 back up shuttlers.

The malaysian doubles pair playing against the danish doubles in Denmark Open

This user has no status.
Table tennis just needs spectators. Here in England league matches are done on 4 weekends during the season in a sports hall with the bare minimum of spectators. You don't even need to buy a ticket. The standard is very high in the top division and very entertaining to watch because the results are usually close. If table tennis starts acting like a big sport by using venues with seating and having to buy a ticket to see world class table tennis then it could become more popular.

Table tennis is a brilliant sport to watch, granted some people find it difficult to understand why top players make errors due to spin or speed or placement so some sort of education is needed. What do you reckon?

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
sir
Pl see my post School program
thanks
Shreeshaila

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't think there is anything wrong with table tennis as a sport. Slowing it down would definitely not make it more popular, but just confirm people's thoughts that table tennis is not a tough sport. If people get interested in table tennis they will be able to see what happens on TV and in the top a bit. But you can't really see the accuracy, serve variation and spin variation that the pro's use that much anyway. The main thing to do to make table tennis more popular is by having someone to identify with. In China, there's many to pick from, in Japan there's Mizutani, in Germany there's Boll. Table tennis is quite popular in Germany, and quite impopular in the Netherlands. I don't think there is much difference in people's attitude or TV coverage. But Germans have a hero in tt, and Dutch people don't really have that at the moment. I think that's the major difference. To make table tennis more popular, all you need is a hero.

Dude, it isn't a matter of current hero or top ranked player. Germany had many times more registered players a few decades ago than now. Even with Timo and Ovchturov and Steger and Co, TT is on the decline slowly over the years. Still, if every country had such a good system and infastructure as Germany, the sport would be better off. We have very poor spectator participation, because there is very little world participation and that comes from mainly school. If TT was a school sport and is really as captivating and enjoyable as we perceive, then TT would explode as a sport if it became a school sport. it comes down to a matter of culture and TT isn't very important in many nations' culture. That is a difficult thing to change quickly.