Another Beginner Level Equipment Advice Question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi,

I'm pretty new to table tennis on the proper side of things. I started trying to learn how to play correctly around the start of the year, but I haven't yet had any formal coaching/training. I'm a fairly sporty person and feel like I have at least a baseline understanding of the beginner strokes.

My question is my wife bought me a premade Palio Master 2 racket off Amazon because I heard good things about it, but i'm wondering if as I start to go to a club and start training if I should have instead went with a custom blade/rubber combo.

Either something like:

Stiga Allround Classic
Dawei 2008XP
Dawei 2008XP

Or

Butterfly Primorac
Mark V or Srivers

I guess I just have no comparison with the Palio and the CJ8000 rubber combo to know if the feel is good or not. It's not easy for me to get to a club until september. I just bought a table for my home and I just want to feel confident that the paddle I'm using is at least not hindering me in any way. It's probably more of a mental thing.

I'd also like to know that when I do get around to upgrading I can still feel good about the blade I'm using with newer faster rubbers.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I don't know about the Palio Master 2 premade. Most premades I've seen weren't too usable, and the rubbers are rarely detachable/replacable. So even if the blade is good, it's a throwaway when rubbers wear out.

The combos you mention are excellent for starters until well into the higher levels. The Butterfly Petr Korbel is also in high regard, as is the Stiga Allround Evolution, Stiga Allround NCT, the Yasaka Sweden Classic, the Yasaka Sweden Extra. And the (very cheap) Danwei rubbers will go with any of them, as will Mark V, Sriver S or L (I slightly rate the latter higher) or Sriver FX. Or Xiom Vega Pro, which I'm rather fond of myself.

I have a Yasaka Sweden Extra with Xiom Vega Pro (1.8mm) on both sides, just to give relatively new players a feel for what quality to expect when going for quality without immediately assuming infinitely deep pockets of cash to spend; this will cost about €80. Take a decent, but cheap, Chinese rubber - Dawai, Yinhe/Galaxy, Friendship 729 - and you'll shave off €20-30 extra and still have a quality tool, ready to go the distance in table tennis.

There exist US-based shops that have excellent beginner combos to offer, but as I don't recall sufficient details I find it hard to find. Waitamini', I think it was http://colestt.com.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
At this stage, I wouldn't stress too much about it. I have coached beginner/improver players who use the Palio Master bat. It's a decent bat for their standard of play. But here's the thing. If you keep playing table tennis, you will end up changing rubbers and blades several times in the first few years until you find a combination you really like. There is a lot of trial and error involved. So my advice for you would be to stick with the bat you have until you start at the club in September. Then when you start playing more experienced players, ask them if you can have a hit with their bat. You'll then get a better feel of what you like / don't like without spending a load of money right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Wonderful advice from tom , also it will help you show your wife that your appreciate that gift and change it only after really you have grown out of it .. :D
At this stage, I wouldn't stress too much about it. I have coached beginner/improver players who use the Palio Master bat. It's a decent bat for their standard of play. But here's the thing. If you keep playing table tennis, you will end up changing rubbers and blades several times in the first few years until you find a combination you really like. There is a lot of trial and error involved. So my advice for you would be to stick with the bat you have until you start at the club in September. Then when you start playing more experienced players, ask them if you can have a hit with their bat. You'll then get a better feel of what you like / don't like without spending a load of money right now.