Beginner Setup Advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Hello! I've been playing for about 9 months now and want some feedback on my current setup. When I first made it I didn't know much about rubbers and all that, pretty much just got what was available since I really didn't want to buy a premade racket.

My current setup is the Yinhe N10s, AK47 Yellow FH and AK47 Blue BH. I'm a cpen player but still developing my rpb. I have a pretty aggressive forehand that I rely on the most at the moment but not satisfied with how it feels (could just be a skill issue tho lol), right now I want to try the AK47 red on my FH though I'm open to getting another setup. My budget is around $100 but I'm also limited to what's available in my country so a variety of options/alternatives would be much appreciated.

I usually play 2-3 times per week at local spots and have developed my style without much formal training. I am planning to join a club once my school pressure dies down which is why I want to get a setup that feels better. Thanks!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What is your reason for wanting to change? What are you not getting from AK47 Yellow?

Any chance you can post footage?

When your technique is solid and you know how to get the ball to sink into the rubber/sponge so that the topsheet really grabs the ball while you are contacting tangentially, harder rubbers give more. If you don't know how to do what I just described, harder rubbers are a little harder to get speed or spin out of.

If you have no trouble with making consistent, solid spin contact, then either rubber is going to be fine for you. If you are not getting a heck of a lot of topspin on your FH shots, you may just be wasting your time changing equipment when technique is the actual issue.

And, probably, if you are playing for 9 months, just using what you have and focusing on developing and improving technique is the best option. Do you get any coaching?

Reactions: NDH
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hello! I've been playing for about 9 months now and want some feedback on my current setup. When I first made it I didn't know much about rubbers and all that, pretty much just got what was available since I really didn't want to buy a premade racket.

My current setup is the Yinhe N10s, AK47 Yellow FH and AK47 Blue BH. I'm a cpen player but still developing my rpb. I have a pretty aggressive forehand that I rely on the most at the moment but not satisfied with how it feels (could just be a skill issue tho lol), right now I want to try the AK47 red on my FH though I'm open to getting another setup. My budget is around $100 but I'm also limited to what's available in my country so a variety of options/alternatives would be much appreciated.

I usually play 2-3 times per week at local spots and have developed my style without much formal training. I am planning to join a club once my school pressure dies down which is why I want to get a setup that feels better. Thanks!!
@TensorBackhand , we pass Mr AK over to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Nifster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
What is your reason for wanting to change? What are you not getting from AK47 Yellow?

Any chance you can post footage?

When your technique is solid and you know how to get the ball to sink into the rubber/sponge so that the topsheet really grabs the ball while you are contacting tangentially, harder rubbers give more. If you don't know how to do what I just described, harder rubbers are a little harder to get speed or spin out of.

If you have no trouble with making consistent, solid spin contact, then either rubber is going to be fine for you. If you are not getting a heck of a lot of topspin on your FH shots, you may just be wasting your time changing equipment when technique is the actual issue.

And, probably, if you are playing for 9 months, just using what you have and focusing on developing and improving technique is the best option. Do you get any coaching?

Sorry for the ambiguity. I have no problems with control on the yellow and can get a lot of topspin quite consistently but I feel like the ball can only go so fast with it and I want it to be a faster. I'll try to get some footage next time I play.

But general consensus from the other replies is just to stick with what I have which probably is the best option. Thanks everyone!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry for the ambiguity. I have no problems with control on the yellow and can get a lot of topspin quite consistently but I feel like the ball can only go so fast with it and I want it to be a faster. I'll try to get some footage next time I play.

But general consensus from the other replies is just to stick with what I have which probably is the best option. Thanks everyone!

Unless you are playing for a very long time and have really good technique, or you are getting old and know you will never have the body mechanics to allow good technique because of mobility issues that start to occur with age, then usually, the pace on the ball has much more to do with your mechanics and contact quality than it has to do with equipment.

For someone whose technique is not really solid and well developed, what faster equipment usually does is force you to cut down your swing in order to have the ball land on the table. That can make it take much longer for your technique to improve.

Often, a setup that is a little slower than you need allows you to take a bigger, more aggressive stroke and still land the ball on the table consistently. And in the long run, that causes your technique to improve faster.

So....faster equipment so you have to do less....and don't get better as fast.....but the ball goes faster right now....or slower equipment now and you get better faster?

Reactions: Tony Funk My Racket
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I got these from google translate for the people complaining that this is not English:

so true! He also recommed untuk saya

untuk saya = for me.

Hari hari dia asyik dengan AK47 aje. Syiok dia sama AK47.

Every day he is busy with AK47. He's like an AK47.

Dia ada rubber yang tak Ak 47 yang dia suka ke tak?

Does he have rubber that isn't an Ak 47 that he likes or not?

====

Sure, it is easy for anybody to do that. But since this is an English Language forum and since some people complain as though secrets are being told, if you do write in your native tongue, please just add a translation for the people who, for some reason get all in a bunch about stuff like this that really is harmless but.....

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I got these from google translate for the people complaining that this is not English:

untuk saya = for me.

Every day he is busy with AK47. He's like an AK47.

Does he have rubber that isn't an Ak 47 that he likes or not?

====

Sure, it is easy for anybody to do that. But since this is an English Language forum and since some people complain as though secrets are being told, if you do write in your native tongue, please just add a translation for the people who, for some reason get all in a bunch about stuff like this that really is harmless but.....
I am really amaze that Google translate can even translate slang / lingo and non-standard Malay. A.I. is really powerful.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Nifster is from Singapore and I am from Malaysia. We are both located in South East Asia. Singapore and Malaysia are neighbouring countries and we both share a common language, Malay. We also have a common cuisine. However, if you foreigners ever ask whose food is better, I suggest don't! We'll start WWIII over whose food is more delicious.

Another difference between Singapore and Malaysia; this weekend, Singaporean get to see Taylor Swift live and WTT Singapore Smash. Whereas, us Malaysia gets to watch the above using V.P.N. on our devices. This is the distinction and difference folks.

They may have a TT standard much higher standard than ours; but food wise....
I like the Malaysian cuisine too, but nothing beats the eating malls in Singapore…

Cheers
L-zr

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I like the Malaysian cuisine too, but nothing beats the eating malls in Singapore…

Cheers
L-zr
Eating malls in Singapore is like eating in McDonalds. It is clean, efficient, sterile and well.... curated.

Meanwhile across the straits of Singapore:
Its chaotic, its noisy and its open 24/7.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Unless you are playing for a very long time and have really good technique, or you are getting old and know you will never have the body mechanics to allow good technique because of mobility issues that start to occur with age, then usually, the pace on the ball has much more to do with your mechanics and contact quality than it has to do with equipment.

For someone whose technique is not really solid and well developed, what faster equipment usually does is force you to cut down your swing in order to have the ball land on the table. That can make it take much longer for your technique to improve.

Often, a setup that is a little slower than you need allows you to take a bigger, more aggressive stroke and still land the ball on the table consistently. And in the long run, that causes your technique to improve faster.

So....faster equipment so you have to do less....and don't get better as fast.....but the ball goes faster right now....or slower equipment now and you get better faster?

Very constructive and informative thank you! Even now I do notice myself cutting down on my swing to guarantee the ball landing, I see now that its a bad thing.

I'll focus on developing my technique as my equipment isn't the problem. Thank You!