Clubs with limited table time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hello all,

I go to a club where there are only 5 tables and there are regularly 15-20 attendees. This is why I started this discussion.

Firstly, is your club as oversubscribed. If so, where is it and how overcrowded is it?

Secondly, how does your club deal with this problem? If your club doesn't have such a problem then how would you solve this problem?

I look forward to any brilliant ideas the collective TTDForum has to offer :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
My Club has around 60 members, we have 5 tables but usually around 20 to 30 members turn up. We reserved 1 to 2 tables for doubles. Each game played on the basis of best of 3 sets. Our usual time starts at 3pm and end up 7 to 8pm, 6 days a week. So far so good, not much complain from the members.

For your club, you are consider lucky with a ration of 4 to a table. Maybe you set a roster or timetable and rotate the members on a fairly basis so that each one got a chance to play and meet each other on a regular basis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
in my town, we have 2 tables for the club and like 20 people play. our club doesn't have any sponsors and no support from the government. that's the one reason why our sport is not progressing in my town. most of the time, drills are done. the club only operates in the afternoon to night and is outdoors.

we just play and play. and teach the kids before the matches starts.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
My Club has around 60 members, we have 5 tables but usually around 20 to 30 members turn up. We reserved 1 to 2 tables for doubles. Each game played on the basis of best of 3 sets. Our usual time starts at 3pm and end up 7 to 8pm, 6 days a week. So far so good, not much complain from the members.

For your club, you are consider lucky with a ration of 4 to a table. Maybe you set a roster or timetable and rotate the members on a fairly basis so that each one got a chance to play and meet each other on a regular basis.

Our time starts at 9.30pm and we play till we drop:) usually 1am-2am. We play Monday, Wednesday and Friday..though there are some occasions we play the odd days too. It has to be in the evening coz most of us work during the day. Where about in OUG do you play Fong? I know Sahak and Din Pos play there too.

This user has no status.
Well our situation is the same with you. Only 4 tables and around 10 to 20. what we do is we play match on each table then the one who scores is the one who will play next to the loser. But in order to play you must ask the scorer who is the last in line, after that you must say to the last person that " I am next to you" then you are already included in the line and will able to play.
But our club is able to accomodate the number of players playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Our time starts at 9.30pm and we play till we drop:) usually 1am-2am. We play Monday, Wednesday and Friday..though there are some occasions we play the odd days too. It has to be in the evening coz most of us work during the day. Where about in OUG do you play Fong? I know Sahak and Din Pos play there too.

I play in OUG MCA Hall, beside BP petrol station. Some of the non-chinese players are Ishak who play both side pimple (work in Kinara Army Hospital), Din who plays Wang Hao style (Army Sergeant), Faud uses shakehand and Osman Yee. All of them are of good standard. Occasionally we invite some former national players like Peang Tak Seng, Tay Tong Kee, Ling Ting Sik. We also frequent Star Elite, Puchong, the shop run by Ng Sock Khim, our Malaysia number 2 women.

In our club there are also 5 tables with more than 20 players..... we settle this by doing the 2 games per person policy on 4 of our tables....
We also have a "change the loser" format in one of our tables.. this format develops endurance and also helps in our ranking :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I recommend making the matches to 3 out of 5 and 5 minutes for warm up Max. Or you could suggest a 20 minute partner session where you can do drills and such. Just switch out your players and let two new players on each table which will have your 20 members in every 30-60 minutes. So if you're playing for 4 hours that's about 4 matches or 4 drill sessions or any combination there of at a minimum.

We used to have 30 members with only 3 tables and were able to get players on the tables pretty easily, but doubles always helped as well to get through everyone and then we did singles at the end when people were starting to get tired to continue playing.

says Played Table Tennis since i was a kid, played for both...
says Played Table Tennis since i was a kid, played for both...
Mar 2012
Hello all,

I go to a club where there are only 5 tables and there are regularly 15-20 attendees. This is why I started this discussion.

Firstly, is your club as oversubscribed. If so, where is it and how overcrowded is it?

Secondly, how does your club deal with this problem? If your club doesn't have such a problem then how would you solve this problem?

I look forward to any brilliant ideas the collective TTDForum has to offer :D

I play at Dulwich TTC, we do not have this problem, we put out 10 to 12 tables, generally we have 20 odd showing up, we have quite a few juniors, they then to tire out quickly so you get free tables.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Haha, moving to New Zealand when I retire doesn't sound like a bad idea but that is at least another half century away. Some of these ideas are really good and I think they will help a lot. Some things I would like further detail on though. If sessions are separated into different times for different levels of play, do you not think this limits some people's opportunities and also would this not alienate a lot of beginners trying to get better. After all, how else do you improve without actual coaching?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I (we) have the same problem here, Luke..

4 tables for around, say 10-20 people?
We Indonesians are cool chaps and yeah, we don't give time limit but we do know the etiquette of sharing very well.
Usually they who don't play could be seen observing the players, chatting, or even have a serious discussion about tactics which I love.

That's the way we cope with it, Luke ;)