Backhand Rubber for Reverse-Penhold Backhand (rpb)

What’s cracking my fellas, I am back once again to ask for your opinions and suggestions!

To preface, I’m simply playing CPen as a side hobby, as I am currently maining a shakehand short pips. Therefore u can say that I am sort of a beginner at CPen even though I have the basics down as I’ve been playing table tennis since I was 5. I know how rpb works so I guess I’m not THAT much of a beginner at penhold.

I currently use a Xiom Tau 2 on the forehand and Tibhar Evolution MX-P50 on the backhand. The Tau 2 feels fine for me but the MX-P50 is where the problem arises.

Firstly, it is WAYYYY too fast for me to control. My rpb isn’t that developed yet so this was particularly frustrating for me.

Secondly, most balls either fly off the table or drill into the net when I try to make adjustments. The margin for error is so low that sometimes I become discouraged from even attempting rpb.

With these 2 concerns in mind, I have decided to change the backhand rubber. Oh I forgot to mention (even though it is visible in my profile), but I am using a DHS Hurricane G inner ALC blade with 2 different wood outer plies (either Koto/Limba or Limba/Ayous, not sure which as different websites state differently). My rpb side is the softer wood side, so either Limba/Ayous. I read that ESN tensor rubbers are better for rpb as well as high-throw rubbers as rpb tends to have a closed racket face.

Here are my current considerations for a more controllable and easy to use rubber for rpb:

1. JOOLA Dynaryz CMD
2. JOOLA Rhyzen Ice
3. JOOLA Rhyzen Fire
4. DHS Goldarc 8 47.5

5. ANDRO Rasanter R48
6. VICTAS V>15 Extra
7. VICTAS V>15 Stiff
8. VICTAS Ventus Extra
9. VICTAS Ventus Stiff
10. GEWO Nexxus EL Pro 45 Superselect
11. GEWO Nexxus EL Pro 48 Superselect
12. XIOM Vega X

I’m not such a baller to purchase all and test them all out, thus I am turning to the glorious Tabletennisdaily community for advice and help. I am currently leaning more towards either the Rhyzen Ice/Fire or the Goldarc 8.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Why not copy Lebrun and use K3?

I think RPB backhand tends to be more loop than block, so the extra grip and tackiness will help the RPB.
I am nowhere near his level haha, and I believe K3 is way too hard for me to properly utilise the sponge on my rpb.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I am nowhere near his level haha, and I believe K3 is way too hard for me to properly utilise the sponge on my
I guess you could go with Vega X or Goldarc 8. They are kinda cheaper options. They tend to be easier to control, but otherwise perform very well at everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Maybe try a softer esn rubber. I use the gewo neoflexx 45 for rpb. It is neither very fast nor very spinny but it is good control and easy to loop

I had decent success with Xiom Vega X when played penhold recently. I actually absolutely loved it on Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (YEO) and it was OK on Nittaku S7.
Also tried FastArc G-1, this was exactly like you described: the margin for error is so low, needs to be softer.

Here's a short video of me trying YEO with Vega X. First point was actually really good :)

those rubbers you listed are too fast even for me, if you want to have more control, try a softer slower one and start to build your strokes from it. Rakza 7 soft worked for me many years ago.
Even Rhyzen Ice is too fast? Damn

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I had decent success with Xiom Vega X when played penhold recently. I actually absolutely loved it on Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (YEO) and it was OK on Nittaku S7.
Also tried FastArc G-1, this was exactly like you described: the margin for error is so low, needs to be softer.

Here's a short video of me trying YEO with Vega X. First point was actually really good :)

Are you the Ma Lin clone or the Liu Guoliang clone?

Are you the Ma Lin clone or the Liu Guoliang clone?
I love the way Ma Lin played and watched nearly every game on YouTube possible. Unfortunately, through my experience I understood that penhold has major disadvantage: faster BH shots. I know that Felix Lebrun is very good with both sides, but I am not him and my wrist is not capable of doing same quick BH shots as with shakehand grip.

May be it's because of the grip itself, but I wasn't able to adjust backside fingers yet to be proficient enough with BH.

Anyways, I would suggest trying softer Xiom rubber like Vega Europe or any Xiom rubber with 47 or less deg. hardness

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
What’s cracking my fellas, I am back once again to ask for your opinions and suggestions!

To preface, I’m simply playing CPen as a side hobby, as I am currently maining a shakehand short pips. Therefore u can say that I am sort of a beginner at CPen even though I have the basics down as I’ve been playing table tennis since I was 5. I know how rpb works so I guess I’m not THAT much of a beginner at penhold.

I currently use a Xiom Tau 2 on the forehand and Tibhar Evolution MX-P50 on the backhand. The Tau 2 feels fine for me but the MX-P50 is where the problem arises.

Firstly, it is WAYYYY too fast for me to control. My rpb isn’t that developed yet so this was particularly frustrating for me.

Secondly, most balls either fly off the table or drill into the net when I try to make adjustments. The margin for error is so low that sometimes I become discouraged from even attempting rpb.

With these 2 concerns in mind, I have decided to change the backhand rubber. Oh I forgot to mention (even though it is visible in my profile), but I am using a DHS Hurricane G inner ALC blade with 2 different wood outer plies (either Koto/Limba or Limba/Ayous, not sure which as different websites state differently). My rpb side is the softer wood side, so either Limba/Ayous. I read that ESN tensor rubbers are better for rpb as well as high-throw rubbers as rpb tends to have a closed racket face.

Here are my current considerations for a more controllable and easy to use rubber for rpb:

1. JOOLA Dynaryz CMD
2. JOOLA Rhyzen Ice
3. JOOLA Rhyzen Fire
4. DHS Goldarc 8 47.5
5. ANDRO Rasanter R48
6. VICTAS V>15 Extra
7. VICTAS V>15 Stiff
8. VICTAS Ventus Extra
9. VICTAS Ventus Stiff
10. GEWO Nexxus EL Pro 45 Superselect
11. GEWO Nexxus EL Pro 48 Superselect
12. XIOM Vega X

I’m not such a baller to purchase all and test them all out, thus I am turning to the glorious Tabletennisdaily community for advice and help.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I've played goldarc 8 47.5, it's a run of mill tensor rubber made by esn in Germany. It has nice grip, relatively low speed and very good control. It has low catapult and it's nowhere near as responsive as the mxp.

I found it excels on the table with counters and even from mid distance if you like to engage the sponge and play curvy topspins. I can easily see it being used on the backhand, but keep in mind that it's completely non tacky, and feels and plays like an esn rubber, because it is.

It's a pretty good choice if you like a medium throw angle. I used it on my forehand and when I turned the goldarc on the backhand it worked pretty well. Plus it's like 35€ on aliexpress!

Other choices would be the xiom vega europe, I would say try to avoid the x for backhand, but again I don't know for penhold, the Europe is an excellent rubber, even though it's a bit soft and durability is kinda... sub par...

Reactions: S-Pin

Unfortunately I don’t think my rpb is at your level yet

Out of all the rubbers you mention, my pick is Victas ventus extra, but I’m a shake hand player. It’s a pretty fast and hard rubber with great spin capability. If your blade is really fast I would pick something slower, but stay in the hard range, don’t go too soft. 😉

Cheers
L-zr

Out of all the rubbers you mention, my pick is Victas ventus extra, but I’m a shake hand player. It’s a pretty fast and hard rubber with great spin capability. If your blade is really fast I would pick something slower, but stay in the hard range, don’t go too soft. 😉

Cheers
L-zr
My blade is the DHS Hurricane G, with inner ALC and BH outer ply of either Limba or Ayous so I suppose it’s not too fast? More of the control side. How soft would you say is too soft on the ESN scale? I don’t rly want to go above 48 ESN but I don’t really have a sense of the bottom line since in my entire table tennis career I’ve never really used soft rubbers (started off as a beginner with Hurricane 3 and Tenergy 25). Considering my rpb is practically beginner level, what would you consider the ideal hardness range?

My blade is the DHS Hurricane G, with inner ALC and BH outer ply of either Limba or Ayous so I suppose it’s not too fast? More of the control side. How soft would you say is too soft on the ESN scale? I don’t rly want to go above 48 ESN but I don’t really have a sense of the bottom line since in my entire table tennis career I’ve never really used soft rubbers (started off as a beginner with Hurricane 3 and Tenergy 25). Considering my rpb is practically beginner level, what would you consider the ideal hardness range?
I would say shore O 45 (ESN scale) be the softest. But some considersation fit the top sheet should be taken. I.e Rakza 7 soft and Vega Europe are too soft.

Too soft rubbers would make serve receive and short game more difficult since the are usually more spin sensitive and catapulty.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I would say shore O 45 (ESN scale) be the softest. But some considersation fit the top sheet should be taken. I.e Rakza 7 soft and Vega Europe are too soft.

Too soft rubbers would make serve receive and short game more difficult since the are usually more spin sensitive and catapulty.

Cheers
L-zr
On the other hand he likely won't use his backhand rubber much for short game and receive (unless for flick) because he plays penhold (unless he is like lebrun who only only plays RBP side even on pushes) so that factor would be to consider, wouldn't it?

After sleeping on it for a while, I've decided that I will either go with Rhyzen Ice/Fire in 2.0mm or Goldarc 8 47.5 in medium thick. Anyone has any idea which rubber will suit my blade more (DHS Hurricane G)? It is an inner ALC blade with differing wood outer plies.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
i tried JOOLA Dynaryz CMD a few times, The thing i noticed most is that it has good grip. The speed isn't high but the rubber has a very clear feeling. It has good control on passive and active play, counters are slow i must say.
If i ever go back to cpen that is the rubber i'd pick for backhand. Joola rhyzen series is also very good.