Choosing Table Tennis Shoes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I've been interested in getting some table tennis shoes, but was curious of any tips and pointers when getting shoes. Should I get them that fits snugly?

Also, are there any good brands that aren't necessarily TT shoes, but do the job?
Well.. I think TT shoes are not necssary to play TT. I saw that many people who have been high level used low-cut normal shoes and they played very very well. (Even no air in bottom line, no cushion, just shoes or sneakers.)

So, I do not feel for buying TT shoes but if you really want or need it, I know that Mizno and Adidas have pretty well durability, fit and efficiency.:)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Somehow, the good table tennis shoes are a bit more expensive than they should be. The inexpensive ones are not as good.

I use indoor soccer shoes. The specs on indoor soccer shoes are very similar to table tennis shoes. Very thin sole. There is really no heel (heel of foot is not higher than ball of foot). Wide sole, low to the ground for lateral movement.

Part of why you may want specific shoes for table tennis would be if your club has an indoor court surface. Then, indoor court shoes would be really helpful. Also, the low to the ground profile actually helps keep you from turning your ankle. A shoe designed, say, for tennis, where you are higher away from the ground is not as good for the movements in table tennis.

Indoor Volley Ball Shoes have pretty similar specs and an indoor court sole as well.

An indoor court sole is made out of gum rubber. If you wore it outdoors it would wear out very quickly. But on indoor courts it gives you the correct amount of traction you need without too much grab, so you get more torque and your knees are a little safer.

All in all, I would say a reasonably priced indoor volley ball or indoor soccer shoe would be worth it. Or, if money is no option the top of the line Butterfly shoes, Mizuno TT shoes, or Asics TT shoes, all are GREAT. The top of the line Butterfly shoes are actually made by Asics anyway. :)

Mizuno are supposed to be the best ones though. And if you look, so many top players use them. I think the whole Chinese National Team uses them, even the guys sponsored by Butterfly. :)

Reactions: Rajah*

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
The other reason to have a sole made from gum rubber is that it does not mark the floor - very important in a venue like my club which has an expensive wooden floor. Purpose-made table tennis shoes can be ludicrously expensive, rather like decent football boots - or "soccer" boots for those who don't know what football is. Thank you, Butterfly and Adidas ! However shoes made for other indoor sports like volleyball, badminton or squash can also be considered as they are largely the same. Personally I use Hi-Tec Squash Classics - sensibly priced and well made. If I were playing at a high level I might like something lighter, but since I'm not the Hi-Tecs are fine.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The other reason to have a sole made from gum rubber is that it does not mark the floor - very important in a venue like my club which has an expensive wooden floor.

Great point. I left that out because I had already given a ton of info. Some clubs will only allow indoor court shoes for this precise reason.

I had Adidas indoor soccer shoes also, f-5 series. While the grip was good, my feet "can't breath" because of the plastic covering the shoes.

This is true. My indoor soccer shoes - (football for those who don't live in the USA) :) are not as ventilated as a table tennis shoe or an indoor volleyball shoe.

This user has no status.
I've been interested in getting some table tennis shoes, but was curious of any tips and pointers when getting shoes. Should I get them that fits snugly?

Also, are there any good brands that aren't necessarily TT shoes, but do the job?

On what kind of floor do you usually train? This will determine the amount of cushioning and grip your shoes should have.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I've got some Carlton badminton shoes which are really good, and bright yellow which is a bonus. Any badminton shoes should do the trick as they're light. Avoid TT makes because most of them break quite easily. I had some Adidas ones before which were really good.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are so many shoes out there but i must recommend the new Stiga Instinct shoe i tried out this weekend. Check out Yogi_bears review on it!

Having had a pair of Stiga shoes that looked way stronger than those fall apart in a way that I have never had any shoe of any kind fall apart, I am skeptical of their durability. The Stiga shoes I had were a top of the line model. The cost over $100.00 USD. They were not strong enough to handle lateral movements. The soles of the shoes are still good. They hardly got wear on the sole. But the upper got torn apart from the lateral movements. There were rips on the inner edge and outer edge of the shoe on both shoes, within about 2 months of steady play: 4 days a week 2-4 hours each day. On the inner part of the shoe the rips when from my big toe to the center of my arch. on the outside it went from my little toe more than half way to the heel.