I need advice with short pimples

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am thinking to change my BH rubber into offensive short pimples. I want to attack but also need control with blocks and pushes. I think that something like Ai Fukuhara should be perfect. Although I found that rubber she uses (armstrong 8) is not available in my country. Do you think that butterfly flarestorm 2 should be simillar?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Whatever you use on BH, it will surely be so radically different from inverted, you wont tell the two apart too much right now. Try out an inexpensive SP to learn how to use SP in general first if you want to avoid trying out a dozen different rubbers before you get used to SPs. Players in your circumstances are easy pickings to become an EJ.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I would try 802-40 1.8mm $14 or 802 1.5mm $10. 802-40 would be easier to adapt to but 802 would provide a true SP experience. You can't loop balls with 802 1.5mm unless the incoming ball is relatively slow and without top spin. It is relatively easy to loop back chopped balls. I say loop because now the SP is moving up with the spin and can add to it.
802 2mm does provide more grip so one can spin the ball more but it isn't springy like inverted. It won't spin the ball any faster than the tangential motion. Blocks will tend to kill spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
problem with any of the 802 rubbers is that the opponent won't really feel any difference.
and you will lose all the good qualities of inverted rubbers like looping, lobbing, blocking from medium distance.

you should check out tang peng's videos, you will realize how much he struggles with the pips, forced to twiddle many times.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
In fact I am offensive player. I play really aggressive (sometimes too much).I am not very young 37 years old and not fast enough, probably I will not be faster J.
Most of my colleagues and coaches I played with said that my BH is much better then FH. Problem is that during match play I get more points with FH attack, I cannot rely on my BH. I use it mostly to flick short serves and for first topspin attack. Main problems with my BH:

1. After first topspin I am always late for second one probably because my hand arm goes too long, so I hit the ball with edge. I found solution that after first BH attack I continue with FH, but it is not always possible (footwork).
  2. I have problems with receiving long serves to my BH, of course I try to attack them, but most of times my topspin is too slow and not spinny enough, makes it easy to block or smash. Other cases I hit it with edge.
  3. Sometimes I like to play short to FH with my BH, with my current setup it is not easy.

I thought about short pimples which will help me in few things:

1. Serve receive
  2. Block
  3. Play short

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
IMHO , I would focus on making my backhand stroke more compact instead of switching to short pips, but I do firmly believe in "to each his own" :)
In fact I am offensive player. I play really aggressive (sometimes too much).I am not very young 37 years old and not fast enough, probably I will not be faster J.
Most of my colleagues and coaches I played with said that my BH is much better then FH. Problem is that during match play I get more points with FH attack, I cannot rely on my BH. I use it mostly to flick short serves and for first topspin attack. Main problems with my BH:

1. After first topspin I am always late for second one probably because my hand arm goes too long, so I hit the ball with edge. I found solution that after first BH attack I continue with FH, but it is not always possible (footwork).
  2. I have problems with receiving long serves to my BH, of course I try to attack them, but most of times my topspin is too slow and not spinny enough, makes it easy to block or smash. Other cases I hit it with edge.
  3. Sometimes I like to play short to FH with my BH, with my current setup it is not easy.

I thought about short pimples which will help me in few things:

1. Serve receive
  2. Block
  3. Play short

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
actually sp is harder to use than inverted.
this is if you use it the right way.
with inverted you can get kind of late to the ball and still loop or make a good hit or lob.

with sp if the ball is past it's highest point after bounce then you are already late and your options are extremely limited.
so you need to be much faster and closer to the table with sp.
it's like with inverted you can somehow fix things with your arm. with sp your arm capabilities are limited so you need to complement that with better leg speed.

you should check "mu zi" videos, female player from chinese team.

as for receiving serves, it's not easier either.
in short serves it might be a bit easier cause you don't get much affected by spin.

but when I see a player who has sp in the bh I just serve super long to the bh, their return is generally pretty passive and I attack straight away.
if the other guy has inverted and you do this he might loop.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I gotta agree with sebas, the early going using SP is going to be rough, unless all you do is bump through the ball and are not very aggressive on BH unless it is an easy smash stepping forward. What you do is your business, but you ask at TTD and people WILL speak up. You seem to welcome it and that is what posting about stuff like that is all about.

OP... The advantages you have already (nicely) said are true, possibilities are there, also possible to achieve this are thinner sponge (yuck !!) or better hands and getting to the spot on time to use the BH.

So many ways to go.

Many Koreans, if not nearly ALL the amature crowd below Div 1 city who are shakehanders do NOT have a spinny BH topspin. Classic old school coaching teaches that the role of the BH is to keep the shots connected so you can stay alive or ahead of the rally initiative and get chances to use your powerful, quick, not so spinny, very fast FH drive that lands deep to a good spot with very fast pace. Even among the Div 1 city top amature crowd, there are not a boatload of players you would identify as having a great BH topspin.

I say that to remind you that you can have a really great game and very decent level WITHOUT having a very offensive BH and if you continue to grow without making your BH into a weapon of mass destruct, you can still grow in level fine. To do that, your BH just needs to be really consistent, well placed, possibly quick off the bounce, and provide just enough pressure from placement or pace tomake opponent NOT attack and give you the chance to flash your good anticipation & step around footwork to use that Macho FH of yours.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For forum members who use inverted rubbers, you don't have to look much further than TTD member UpsideDownCarl his-self.

In a fast and quick topspin exchange that is bang-bang pace close to the table, Carl has practiced and become VERY proficient at taking the ball off the bounce and doing whatever the heck he wants with the ball EXCEPT fast loop off the bounce. That is good, not trying that, why give away points? His pressure from taking it early and placing it anywhere at medium pace are MORE than enough to discourage the opponent from attacking with high percentage and if opponent attacks those kind of balls, then the opponent will give away points like a bonafide Sugar Daddy gives away cash to a young gold digger beauty.

Carl's BH close to the table off the bounce does what I described in my previous post and gives Carl options in the rally to either get an opponent's mistake, or dare to go on FH in the rally. Carl, however, is very content to keep on popping those nice BHs in a rally... and doesn't feel under pressure... because he ISN'T under pressure, he is in control on that wing close to the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok. I will try to explain it further.
Today I am not active player, let’s say I retired and play only for fun twice a week. I do not have time for training and playing in a league. So mostly in my club we play 10-15 minutes warm up and then match play (there is no coach). I do not think that will change.
There are some situations when I am confident and make easy points, this happens after my serve. I prepare whole situation in my head and I am well prepared what is going to happen next. But main problem is when my opponent serves, very often I do not read the spin properly. Of course I do not make mistakes with upspin or downspin, the main problem is how much downspin is.
So I thought getting short pimples will help me playing less aggressive with my BH. I do not have to attack every ball, especially when I am not prepared. Most of cases it is me who loses then my opponents win. So maybe it is better they start losing and I can play more safe (do not take much risk).
Receiving long serves should also be easier, because still I can attack it or play stop ball.
On the other hand many players are afraid playing against pimples and sometimes make easy mistakes.

Of course decision is not made yet. I just wanted to get more confidence to do it or not.