Getting Blisters from Table Tennis Racket?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you play penhold or shakehand? Where on your hand are you getting the blisters? Is it from the edges of the blade between the rubber and the handle rubbing on your fingers? If yes, are those edges squared or rounded? If they are more squared and there is an edge, you should take a file and round the edges. Lots of penhold players do that. If you are not sure what I mean, you can see if you can take a look at the edges of some penhold players rackets.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Do you play penhold or shakehand? Where on your hand are you getting the blisters? Is it from the edges of the blade between the rubber and the handle rubbing on your fingers? If yes, are those edges squared or rounded? If they are more squared and there is an edge, you should take a file and round the edges. Lots of penhold players do that. If you are not sure what I mean, you can see if you can take a look at the edges of some penhold players rackets.
I am getting blisters on my palm. Under my middle finger and the finger between my pinky and middle finger is where i am getting the blisters. I play shakehand and the cause is the handle.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am getting blisters on my palm. Under my middle finger and the finger between my pinky and middle finger is where i am getting the blisters. I play shakehand and the cause is the handle.

You may also be grabbing to tightly. The hand should be relaxed. The index finger and thumb should probably be doing a little more of the holding and the rest of the hand should be pretty relaxed. That may be what is going on is that you are holding too tight with the rest of the hand.

However, if you think it is the handle, sand it with a fine sandpaper just to make it smoother, and add a finish like Minwax Wipe On Poly to the handle to make it feel more smooth, or add grip tape like what would be on a tennis racket. I think they make those specifically for table tennis rackets too.

This user has no status.
if you keep consistently playing and ignore the pain from the blisters, a callus will form where the blisters once were, and no more blisters! If you stop playing, unfortunately the callus will fade away and when you play for long periods of time the blisters will come back. Filing the blade will only help you short term, even with a filed blade blisters will appear if you play a lot. Besides, having a callus is pretty cool right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
if you keep consistently playing and ignore the pain from the blisters, a callus will form where the blisters once were, and no more blisters! If you stop playing, unfortunately the callus will fade away and when you play for long periods of time the blisters will come back. Filing the blade will only help you short term, even with a filed blade blisters will appear if you play a lot. Besides, having a callus is pretty cool right?
I actually had a callus when i played during the summer when i had no school. Due to school, i only play Friday so it is painful when i play now.