Left or Right handed which is better?

• Left

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Right

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Here's a controversial debate, of course there is never going to be any insight into an answer I'd just like to see some discussion and a bit of medium heat debate! :D

World+Table+Tennis+Championships+2009+Day+ImLq8TAEh5El.jpg

Image from Zimbio

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Lets see..
The reason why many ppl think that left-handedness is the best is because its rarity IMO.
If the condition is turned where 90% people, thus 90% tt players are left handed, ppl will think that right-handedness is the best..

So, like the power of a defender is its rarity, the same applies to handedness in table tennis.
However, this is only my opinion.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I heard left handers are more creative, using a different side of the brain therefore they have more feeling. This is not 100% accurate but its what some experts say. And the fact that left handers mirror image constantly. As most of the time they are playing against a right hander, they are constantly mirror imaging themselves. Apparently we learn faster when we mirror image. HEHE,,,

Jan Ove Waldner?? Right handed :p

However Pele was left handed :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Just did a quick check of the ITTF's current top 100 ranked players.
70 are RIGHT handed
29 are LEFT handed
(Zhai Yiming doesn't appear to have a picture anywhere!)

To compare this with common percentages amongst the regular populace, 93% of the world are right handed, while only 7% are left handed.
This information shows that in Table Tennis left handed players are very strong.

...and awesome.

ttGuru has spoken.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I heard left handers are more creative, using a different side of the brain therefore they have more feeling. This is not 100% accurate but its what some experts say. And the fact that left handers mirror image constantly. As most of the time they are playing against a right hander, they are constantly mirror imaging themselves. Apparently we learn faster when we mirror image. HEHE,,,

Left-handers tend to have worse coördination, because of the same reason.

@TT-Guru
I think this is the case because you get to train against right-handers more often, so you need to adapt more when playing against a lefty. I think it doesn't have anything to do with skill level, just the fact that it is different from what u usually would get. To find that out you should look up the percentage lefty's win against left-handed and right-handed players I think. I think there will not be a big difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011

I read this a few years back on internet so dont know if its true but they say that left handers react alot faster for the same reason you said that they use the other part of the brain. They also can make bigger angles on the table which is harder to play against. And the fact that most people are right handed, its harder to play vs left handed players.
Most but not all the left handers play with sidespin, thats also harder to play against when you are used to play vs 80 % of right handed players who play with topspin and not sidespin.

Chinese kids learn to play with both hands when they start practicing at a young age aswell, dont know why but its true.

And like you said, lefthanders are more creative, but like wiwa said they have a bad coordination so not sure what would be the best hand to play with.

To be honest the only reason why left hand players have a slight advantage is because there arent many of them.

For example when a left hander runs around the backhand to loop with his forehand, it goes to your FH. Most people on lower level are very bad in blocking forehand.

But a huge disadvantage of a left hander is the angle to his deep forehand. All left handers are very vulnerable there.
Another thing is their crosspoint. Any right handed player can play to the crosspoint of a left handed player so easy.

So my conclusion: I dont want to be a left handed player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
how about center handed?
hahah just joking
in my opinion right handed bcuz i think right hander has fast arm movement no offense :)

Hahe center handed :D I wonder where you would attach your blade on to :p

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
70 are RIGHT handed
29 are LEFT handed

To compare this with common percentages amongst the regular populace, 93% of the world are right handed, while only 7% are left handed.
This information shows that in Table Tennis left handed players are very strong.

...and awesome.

ttGuru has spoken.

The man for stats himself. Thanks for those Matt :D I guess it's now opinion vs. statistical data. What's the saying? The house always wins ;) haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
And might I add, maybe this is nice: I know a club in the Netherlands where like 4-5 of the most talented 14-15 yr olds played together. U know when u just play around a bit before the actual practise starts. They were obliged to do that with their 'wrong' hand in order to increase coördination.

Personally I like playing against a left-handed player because it is harder for them to reach the ball if I play BH cross. But sometimes their serves are awful just because I'm right-handed, but that works vice versa as well :D

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I just think that lefties play against righties more often, so they adapt better compared to us righties. Basically they get more training hours. But like sifu Liu Guoliang said also that lefties doesn't like so much being moved left and right across the table. Probably they are so used to the balls coming into their bodies from right handed players.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
70 are RIGHT handed
29 are LEFT handed

...and awesome.

ttGuru has spoken.

This is brilliant!! you could make an amazing research project on this :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
70 are RIGHT handed
29 are LEFT handed

...and awesome.

ttGuru has spoken.

Awesome ! :D