NDH Looping with new Garaydia ZLC

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NDH looks like he is going for maybe 40-50% power on these practice warmup kinda loops.

We can say his blade can launch missile with teh best of them, but T05 really slows it all down into a controllable range. I have looped with some Korean coaches' Amulart with T05 and it felt like a control looping setup and that blade is OFF+.

The first vid I saw what looked like the entire arm moving locked up moving as one piece with little arm snap. The second vid had the arm look more fluid. I agree with the ones saying he should be doing tiny hops and micro adjustments.

This user has no status.
It definitely looks like you're looping to someone whose blocking ability isn't quite up to par with your looping ability, which is more a compliment to you than anything against him or her ;) taking the ball a little after its peak is a good way to take some speed off the shot without slowing the swing too much. But you generate good torque out of your body and maintain a pretty relaxed arm, which is awesome for a bigger guy who probably has the strength to just arm-swing people off the table.

NDH

says Spin to win!
It definitely looks like you're looping to someone whose blocking ability isn't quite up to par with your looping ability, which is more a compliment to you than anything against him or her ;) taking the ball a little after its peak is a good way to take some speed off the shot without slowing the swing too much. But you generate good torque out of your body and maintain a pretty relaxed arm, which is awesome for a bigger guy who probably has the strength to just arm-swing people off the table.

Haha, thanks - I'm not sure positing a video of myself absolutely annihilating each loop would have shown an awful lot. So yeah, I was probably around the 50% mark going for consistency!

I was also just trying to get into a rhythm with the new bat (seeing as I only picked it up an hour before!).

This user has no status.
I'm not trying to hit the ball very hard.

If my right shoulder has followed so far that it is much closer to the table than my left, then (in my opinion), I've gone too far on my follow through (for consistent play).

If I was trying to go for speed, it would be slightly different, and you would probably see a slightly different look.

I also think, because this is just a drill, I'm getting more rotation on the body (left shoulder is starting much closer to the table, to allow more hip rotation) compared to match play where I'd be slightly squarer (to allow easier access to the backhand).

imo your right foot is too far back, it would be hard to generate so much torque with your body to get the right shoulder forward even if you went full power.

don't get me wrong, you are doing some bad ass loops there but i am a worried about two things: body usage efficiency and recovery. making your stroke bigger when going for more power is a great way to lose the point if the ball is blocked back. my philosophy is that there should be one optimal stroke that is always roughly the same size and you just change the speed at which you are performing it. this makes timing easier imo.

next time you warm up try this: stand more square to the table and try to have your upper body completely parallel to the end line of the table at the moment of contact. now try looping at different speeds but always have your chest square to the table when the ball touches your bat.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Didn't manage to get any match footage tonight, and only had 2 mins left after the match before it closed.

Thought I'd add some loop to loop action into the mix!

I made a conscious effort to keep my feet more level, and to take the ball earlier.

Thoughts welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/81rZvCmyQ3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I believe your consistency and power would increase, especially with your long arms, if you didn't tense the arm as much and let it swing a bit straighter on the backswing.

You're doing it better in the 2nd video, but you're tensed up again in the 3rd video in a more match situation with more pressure and more things to think about. You might not notice it, but I bet you are tensing up more than you think.

A tip I heard from many reputable coaches is to pinch the bat lightly with your index and thumb to the point where it feels like it might slide out of your hand. Then do shots that way, revert to your normal grip and try to replicate it.

If you don't want to believe me, do take a look at this, beginning at 38 seconds. You can only achieve such a dramatic wrist movement, without straining, if you're relaxed and let your body do what it wants. Your stroke is different, so relaxation will show in a different way, but still be as beneficial.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You are doing great NDH, whatever izra is saying makes complete sense and try to look at the footage of the person in izra's profile pic :) , Oh Sang Eun , he is very tall and he has some bad ass power when he decided to turn it on :) . Modelling your game on his game would be a great idea ! If I were you , I would look at Vladi and OSE 's form and try to copy their game play and looping styles
Didn't manage to get any match footage tonight, and only had 2 mins left after the match before it closed.

I made a conscious effort to keep my feet more level, and to take the ball earlier.

Thoughts welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/81rZvCmyQ3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This user has no status.

Thoughts welcome.

looks much better now! notice the body position at the moment of contact on your 0:12 loop and how easily your partner deals with it and notice the body position on your 0:14 loop and the effect it has.

p.s.- with your new stance your ability to play a backhand got a whole lot better. congratz! :D

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
looks much better now! notice the body position at the moment of contact on your 0:12 loop and how easily your partner deals with it and notice the body position on your 0:14 loop and the effect it has.

p.s.- with your new stance your ability to play a backhand got a whole lot better. congratz! :D

its a working progress, but for the couple of minutes I managed to hit (other than the matches), it felt good.

Still plenty to work on - Thanks for everyone's comments!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
its a working progress, but for the couple of minutes I managed to hit (other than the matches), it felt good.

Still plenty to work on - Thanks for everyone's comments!

In general, your left leg probably has to start bearing more weight. I get the impression that your right leg is much stronger and that you are comfortable staying on it without transferring weight to the neutral. IT should get better but try to feel weight on your left leg more in general.

Reactions: ttmonster

NDH

says Spin to win!
also, i like how you use your body for the stroke and not your shoulder in the counter looping video. your partner is swinging more from the shoulder and you can tell he needs to put in more effort to make the stroke.

Thanks, I was trying to get the same output from the shots as when I had my left foot further forward (which made it easier to generate the power from the hip twists) in the previous videos.

Reactions: izra