Shuki Development and Questions

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, guys, I've just had word that the goon squad is out to get us all and they are out for more than just blood. They want prisoners.

Word is, they got a bogus report about how we are using pro versions of Tenergy, H8, Hexer and Rasant Grip and are out for our scalps.

Der_Echte is, right now, singing Christmas Carols and, yes, he's happy as a kid on Christmas Eve getting ready to set a new and improved world wide syndicate dragnet on the goon squad.

Apparently traps have been set in Kansas City, San Francisco, Philidelphia, NYC, DC, London, Stockholm and there are a few cities I am not supposed to mention. The deuce will drop 'round about midnight Greenwich Mean Time. Somehow Der is going to use the secret hideout and the trap door to lure the goon squad baddies through the labyrinth right in time do jump off the Brooklyn Bridge in unison. If he can pull this stunt off, it will be the stuff from which legends are made. But if anything goes wrong, we're all in danger. Especially people in Kansas City and San Francisco.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
How about Sunnyvale ?
Well, guys, I've just had word that the goon squad is out to get us all and they are out for more than just blood. They want prisoners.

Word is, they got a bogus report about how we are using pro versions of Tenergy, H8, Hexer and Rasant Grip and are out for our scalps.

Der_Echte is, right now, singing Christmas Carols and, yes, he's happy as a kid on Christmas Eve getting ready to set a new and improved world wide syndicate dragnet on the goon squad.

Apparently traps have been set in Kansas City, San Francisco, Philidelphia, NYC, DC, London, Stockholm and there are a few cities I am not supposed to mention. The deuce will drop 'round about midnight Greenwich Mean Time. Somehow Der is going to use the secret hideout and the trap door to lure the goon squad baddies through the labyrinth right in time do jump off the Brooklyn Bridge in unison. If he can pull this stunt off, it will be the stuff from which legends are made. But if anything goes wrong, we're all in danger. Especially people in Kansas City and San Francisco.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@monster
Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that I've been so defensive on a thread asking for criticism.

I agree with you to an extent (haha here comes another of my disagreements). I see the problem they're staying about my forehand serves. But what I still don't see a problem with is stomping with the right foot on a backhand serve. You brought fourth good evidence and I appreciate you trying to guide me toward the light. I think the biggest problem for me on seeing that stomping the right foot is wrong is that our top players at my club stomp the right foot. That's where I learned it.

Part of me likes to debate and find out all the pros and cons to each way of playing and WHY one way is better than the others. But another part of me is surely just being defensive.

Tonight I brought my camera again and I'm about to start play. I will be cutting the video again but this time I'll just be cutting between games so I'll have 3-5 different videos. I won't be cutting out the points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Am I safe in switzerland? :O

I've herd Bern, Geneva, Lausanne and Zürich were all on the target list. But I wasn't supposed to let anyone know about that information. Now that it's out, all hell could break loose.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I also want to apologize to everyone for arguing especially on serving which is something I'm not able to practice and not going to ever be able to practice any time soon. So I got extra defensive. And there I go defending myself again

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

No need to apologize man. IT's your thread. Just get the right kind of video and let's get back on track.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I've herd Bern, Geneva, Lausanne and Zürich were all on the target list. But I wasn't supposed to let anyone know about that information. Now that it's out, all hell could break loose.

Luckily we got our own secret hideouts in Bern. And if its getting really bad i can still lure the goon squad into the bear cage we have :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I also want to apologize to everyone for arguing especially on serving which is something I'm not able to practice and not going to ever be able to practice any time soon. So I got extra defensive. And there I go defending myself again

Hey, listen, the rest has been said. It takes someone who is comfortable with himself to apologize. I'm not sure it was necessary. But....it shows big heart and good instincts.

So I'm just going to address the issue of practicing serves.

1) You can practice serves with 1 ball and a floor.

2) You can practice serves with one ball and a couch or bed.

3) Any time you practice serve and receive drills, when you are serving YOU ARE PRACTICING serves.

If you don't focus on the serve part of serving, which is how a lot of people do the serve part of serve and receive than the progress is more just by virtue of repeating the habits you already have. You get better slowly at what you are already doing.

But you can also consciously change things. My short backspin serves are getting better and better from just focusing on trying to get them short, low, fast and spinny all at once. Trying to feel the ball sink into the rubber and pull the blade face past the ball while holding the ball on the topsheet. I have definitely played with different arm positions: using all wrist, using just forearm, keeping the elbow up and back, leading with the base of the wrist....so many ways to vary the motion.

A few months back I realized a few things about my serves and worked on improving my toss and trying to contact the ball closer to the base of my ribcage on my right side. I had noticed that my contact was right near the center of my stomach and farther back not only makes my blade face visible later and for a shorter amount of time before contact, it also forces the movement to be very short but faster with a lot more whip action. Where as in front of my stomach it is entirely in plain view and the racket motion is longer and slower with less whip because it means I have used more upper arm than is ideal. That is why Brett has the Ninja Serve Assist tool, right?

In the past 6 months, maybe I have spent 40 min total on a table practicing serves alone. My life is busy for reasons only a few on TTDaily understand. Which is also why I am playing less and less over time.

But when I do practice serving on a table alone, even just for 2-3 min while waiting for someone, I always figure something out that is useful.

But as I said above, you are practicing serves when you do serve and receive drills. You can just do it more mindfully and make it REALLY constructive serve practice. And in fact, you can do that in practice matches as well.

You are very experimental and creative with the rest of your game. Why not add that same attitude to when you are serving.

Last edited:
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
It sounds like I need to figure out how to use my ample midsection to obscure the ball until the last instant. Perhaps if I do a reverse pendulum I can actually contact the ball behind the curved surface and force the player to involve the referee who will waffle about. I can probably get 3 or 4 points a match.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Luckily we got our own secret hideouts in Bern. And if its getting really bad i can still lure the goon squad into the bear cage we have :)
When I did the Bern military two day IML March, they had us sleep in a bunker with the Germans and French. The Goon Squad has been present for decades as a sleeper cell.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Okay. Posting this from in club right now. Apparently a lot of players here have a problem with being on video like it's going to capture their soul or something. One said he didn't want tournament players to see his game.

Sorry for no film. But on the other hand 2 things I noticed.

Firstly I was wrong about all the higher level players backhand serves stomping with their right foot. There is only one of them. So I was mistaken and maybe I picked it up off him maybe elsewhere idk.

2. On my forehand serves I was attempting to make contact AS i turned.

The effect really did add spin so if I argued with anyone saying it wouldn't I'm sorry about that too and I'd like to thank you for that advice.

Lastly I noticed that I just don't do pendulum serves against higher level players. Maybe it's because I really had no time to react so I got rid of it from my game against them.

Interesting to notice.

What I learned most of all. Read advice and the. Try the advice out before criticizing player's criticisms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey, listen, the rest has been said. It takes someone who is comfortable with himself to apologize. I'm not sure it was necessary. But....it shows big heart and good instincts.

So I'm just going to address the issue of practicing serves.

1) You can practice serves with 1 ball and a floor.

2) You can practice serves with one ball and a couch or bed.

3) Any time you practice serve and receive drills, when you are serving YOU ARE PRACTICING serves.

If you don't focus on the serve part of serving, which is how a lot of people do the serve part of serve and receive than the progress is more just by virtue of repeating the habits you already have. You get better slowly at what you are already doing.

But you can also consciously change things. My short backspin serves are getting better and better from just focusing on trying to get them short, low, fast and spinny all at once. Trying to feel the ball sink into the rubber and pull the blade face past the ball while holding the ball on the topsheet. I have definitely played with different arm positions: using all wrist, using just forearm, keeping the elbow up and back, leading with the base of the wrist....so many ways to vary the motion.

A few months back I realized a few things about my serves and worked on improving my toss and trying to contact the ball closer to the base of my ribcage on my right side. I had noticed that my contact was right near the center of my stomach and farther back not only makes my blade face visible later and for a shorter amount of time before contact, it also forces the movement to be very short but faster with a lot more whip action. Where as in front of my stomach it is entirely in plain view and the racket motion is longer and slower with less whip because it means I have used more upper arm than is ideal. That is why Brett has the Ninja Serve Assist tool, right?

In the past 6 months, maybe I have spent 40 min total on a table practicing serves alone. My life is busy for reasons only a few on TTDaily understand. Which is also why I am playing less and less over time.

But when I do practice serving on a table alone, even just for 2-3 min while waiting for someone, I always figure something out that is useful.

But as I said above, you are practicing serves when you do serve and receive drills. You can just do it more mindfully and make it REALLY constructive serve practice. And in fact, you can do that in practice matches as well.

You are very experimental and creative with the rest of your game. Why not add that same attitude to when you are serving.

This post is hard to understand without this video...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Video is awesome thanks NL. Unfortunately, although he says I can use any type of tool to lock my arms and practice I only like to use top of the line equipment, so until I can get the ninja I'm SOL.:D

Actually very useful though and I know quite a few players that are trying to reduce how big their strokes are, I need to send this video to them too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So I spent the majority of the night not playing and talking with my coach and a few other players.

I asked her about my serves, first the backhand, she said it's fine. Then I brought forth some points like "but is it wrong to use my right foot to stomp instead of my left?" she thought for a moment and said it's only okay because you face the table so much on the serve. Later you may want to get more power and you'll have to rotate into it more, starting facing away from the table and using your left foot to stomp. But for now, there is no need to change the stroke. Learning the basics is still more important." (basics means able to consistently hit all strokes)

Then when we went on to my forehand serve I talked about the foot stomp and showed the two ways of serving and she prefered the stomp of the right foot the way I do it while also saying both are correct. But she did notice my timing with the stomp and contact of the ball were off. She said "I can't figure out how you get the spin on the ball that you get while holding your body back that much, but if it works for you and you're comfortable with it for now keep doing it. Actually, you should stop sooner than later, If you serve fast and long ball then you may not be ready for the attack yet because your motion is after you hit still."