Shuki Development and Questions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is good stuff Shuki, as long as your coach is okay with your game there is nobody better to give you feedback...
So I spent the majority of the night not playing and talking with my coach and a few other players.

I asked her about my serves, first the backhand, she said it's fine. Then I brought forth some points like "but is it wrong to use my right foot to stomp instead of my left?" she thought for a moment and said it's only okay because you face the table so much on the serve. Later you may want to get more power and you'll have to rotate into it more, starting facing away from the table and using your left foot to stomp. But for now, there is no need to change the stroke. Learning the basics is still more important." (basics means able to consistently hit all strokes)

Then when we went on to my forehand serve I talked about the foot stomp and showed the two ways of serving and she prefered the stomp of the right foot the way I do it while also saying both are correct. But she did notice my timing with the stomp and contact of the ball were off. She said "I can't figure out how you get the spin on the ball that you get while holding your body back that much, but if it works for you and you're comfortable with it for now keep doing it. Actually, you should stop sooner than later, If you serve fast and long ball then you may not be ready for the attack yet because your motion is after you hit still."

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Tournament went well today. First place in u1700.

Lost to my training partner in u1900

In the open I lost to a 2296 player but I put up a fight! (He was probably holding back conserving energy or something). I won first game with him 11-7 then he won the next three; 10-12, 12-14, 9-11.

Even though I lost in the open to him it felt great to do that well even if I know he wasn't giving it his all.

I think it took him a bit to realize that my backhand could flip all his serves to it. Even if they weren't strong flips it still seemed to throw him off that he couldn't beat someone as low as me with service.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Oh! Forgot to mention, in the u1700 I did t play a single player that had inverted rubber on both sides. All of them were either medium or long pips on at least one side. Some two. So probably not reflective of my actual level in the 1700. I'm sure if I played some inverted players they would have beaten me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Are you better against LP players?
substantially. the way I've always looked at it, they put the LP there because that side is weaker. It's like saying "look over here! here's my weakness!" I have no backhand so I put LP on it. So I'll slow loop to the lp and then it comes back with backspin and I'll just keep building up the spin until they can't keep it down anymore.
plus the balls I get from them are slower, giving me time to get in place and do a much better stroke than I'd have time to do against most inverted players.

Twiddlers are a bit different though. let's not get into that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What round did your training partner take you out in the U1900? How far did he go? Did he win it?

And playing a player with a 2296 rating that close is pretty good no matter how you look at it. How many players did you face in the round robin of the open?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What round did your training partner take you out in the U1900? How far did he go? Did he win it?

And playing a player with a 2296 rating that close is pretty good no matter how you look at it. How many players did you face in the round robin of the open?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

quarter's are where I faced him my partner. He lost in finals.

In the open I played 3 people in my rr open group one was only 1360ish if I remember right, and one was 1780's. the 2296 was obviously the one out of us to advance through the rr. I'm pretty sure he played down to me pretty bad, just not sure why. either conserving energy or just being nice playing to my level definitely shouldn't have been as close as it was.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
quarter's are where I faced him my partner. He lost in finals.

In the open I played 3 people in my rr open group one was only 1360ish if I remember right, and one was 1780's. the 2296 was obviously the one out of us to advance through the rr. I'm pretty sure he played down to me pretty bad, just not sure why. either conserving energy or just being nice playing to my level definitely shouldn't have been as close as it was.

So, in the Open, only one player advanced out of the round robin group? That's too bad. How did you do against the 1780 level player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So, in the Open, only one player advanced out of the round robin group? That's too bad. How did you do against the 1780 level player?

games were close, deuce deuce 11-9, 3-0 but I felt it was more just a good matchup than me actually being better than him. yea only one advanced. also no money prizes for any event 1900 or below just medals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
substantially. the way I've always looked at it, they put the LP there because that side is weaker. It's like saying "look over here! here's my weakness!" I have no backhand so I put LP on it. So I'll slow loop to the lp and then it comes back with backspin and I'll just keep building up the spin until they can't keep it down anymore.
plus the balls I get from them are slower, giving me time to get in place and do a much better stroke than I'd have time to do against most inverted players.

Twiddlers are a bit different though. let's not get into that.

While there is some truth to your description of LP players (mostly older crowd, though), it's a bit simplistic. Have you ever played a decent chopper or high level blocker? They can wreak havoc even without twiddling. How is your game against no-spin and other weird balls with uncomfortable placement?

Some people use LP because it suits their preferred style, mostly defense - I ran into several kids who trained with LP early on, and don't get me started on 2500+ players with LP on BH.

Edit: and congrats on winning U1700, it's always an achievement.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
While there is some truth to your description of LP players (mostly older crowd, though), it's a bit simplistic. Have you ever played a decent chopper or high level blocker? They can wreak havoc even without twiddling. How is your game against no-spin and other weird balls with uncomfortable placement?

Some people use LP because it suits their preferred style, mostly defense - I ran into several kids who trained with LP early on, and don't get me started on 2500+ players with LP on BH.

Edit: and congrats on winning U1700, it's always an achievement.

I understand that this isn't ALWAYS the case with lp players and I'm willing to adapt if my plan isn't working. I play well against higher level choppers/defenders compared to how I play against higher level aggressive players. Just because I beat players rated higher than me doesn't mean I think I'm at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk