Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
@SchemeSC

I think you're understanding me wrong. I'm not talking about loaded up chops that clear the net by 1mm and are clearly short. They're just a bit too low and just a bit too short for me to go for it and I would rather push them every time. If it's clearly long then it's a no-brainer to loop.

I just can't loop any real backspin that's half long. I've never tried. However I have tried touching them: and I asked a question about touching them better. I didn't ask how to loop Joo Sae Hyuk's chop over the table.

EDIT: Keep the context in mind. You know what my level is roughly. I'm talking about low, heavy chops for an under 1500 player: not a 2500+ player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'd like to see a video of this low, heavy chopper that's giving you these nasty, unloopable, half-long balls.

Whenever I read Archo describe his play, why do I get this funny feeling that I am a way lower level player than he is or am mostly playing scrubs?

Reactions: Shuki and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hey guys. I did not play today, but I have a question:

When receiving a heavy chop from an inverted chopper, or just a heavy chop in general, that floats a bit short and low over the table, I know how to angle my racket very open to get the ball over the net to the other side.

However it will fly off with pretty great acceleration, like someone just played a counterhit on it. So normally, it will go quite long.

Is there any possible way to return these balls short? Perhaps chopping with sidespin?

I have a suspicion there is a terminology problem here - I'm 99% sure you are talking about pushes in this post, perhaps heavy ones, but still pushes. The last highlighted phrase gives it away - no one 'chops' incoming backspin, plus so far I was under impression that you are in TT desert, so to speak, so suddenly having a chopper to practice against is a bit of surprise.

When I see 'chop' being discussed - I typically think Joo Sae Hyuk, Gionis, Ma Te etc. chopping back incoming loop. Not a push, however heavy it might be. Perhaps it's a regional/cultural difference in terminology.

says what [IMG]
I have a suspicion there is a terminology problem here - I'm 99% sure you are talking about pushes in this post, perhaps heavy ones, but still pushes. The last highlighted phrase gives it away - no one 'chops' incoming backspin, plus so far I was under impression that you are in TT desert, so to speak, so suddenly having a chopper to practice against is a bit of surprise.

When I see 'chop' being discussed - I typically think Joo Sae Hyuk, Gionis, Ma Te etc. chopping back incoming loop. Not a push, however heavy it might be. Perhaps it's a regional/cultural difference in terminology.
My mistake for using chop when referring to returning the ball.

However when I say the ball is a chop, I really do mean the Joo Sae Huyk and Gionis kind of off the table, big swing against a loop. Ear to knee, and all that.

This user has no status.
oh i forgot to say above , when i push back those chops for defenders, i push back with my FH usually (normally the ball is slow and i have a strong FH stance playing those players), i feel i have much more control with FH for this. the tip of the racket is forward and i hit with it, and not with the side of the racket (a lot of beginners push with the side of their racket, i think its usually wrong, especially for this kind of push). i also open my wrist, it makes it easier to contact the ball below and sometimes lift it a bit if its heavy underspin

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I'll go to play today.

I could get my partner to demonstrate what I mean with me, but I kind of doubt he can consistently give me a heavy enough ball and have it land anywhere near the table. So maybe I will just post the same kind of video as usual.

It's a shame his push is not quality enough to really practice third ball. There is one player here, and older man, who knows how to serve and serve return properly. He can push heavy and low to me against my backspin serve and have it be heavy enough and placed awkward enough that sometimes I'll just miss the ball. I wish I could practice against that every day.

In a way I am understanding what TWI said when he said I am wasting my time. :rolleyes:

At least I can still practice footwork.

This user has no status.
Had a 1H session today with my coach. a very good one. a lot of footwork exercise, with multi-ball buckets, both with and without randomness. I've been doing quite a lot of these multiballs recently, and to be able to do those, you have to stop looking at your own ball after hitting, get ready and immediately look at the coach for hints to where the next ball is going to be, else there is absolutely no chance of getting it in time.

Well, for normal play I can feel its helping a lot, because now, I'm able to use the same mindset, its giving me an extra 1/10 or 2/10 of second to anticipate, i can take the ball really early and get into fast rallies that i was really unable and could not imagine I would be able to make. My mind is faster. Unfortunately my legs are not as quick as when i was 20, but I'm moving faster than before all that training also as a result.

---

I also had a 30mns knock with a slightly higher rated player, playing with short pimples, he's quite consistent but i was nearly matching his consistency, especially on BH side. Moving better and going to neutral position quicker makes me more consistent as well. i understand also that using spin and having a very compact form on BH helps a lot, especially against this kind of rubbers. The guy blocked for me, and when pivoting to execute FH, i made less mistakes when my form was bigger (but still being relaxed and not trying to hit hard). All misses was when i felt pressed so much i didn't take enough backswing.

got a small tournament tomorrow, it will be a good test to see if this good training translates into good results.

says what [IMG]
@Shuki

Yeah, good point. Although I HAVE used these serves in games (Actually decent ones, too. I did not feel very good about these because I mostly just straightened my arm and did not use the wrist correctly.) and reset just fine. So these are not "for show". It is just how I practice them. You get tired after a few hours.

However I do want to see what my "real" motion looks like so I will film the full serve next time. Good point.

I will be very busy next week, so we will see when that is.