Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Have you looked at your diet in detail? I am diabetic, and thus notice severe energy drop-off if I don't manage my food correctly. I find it useful to carry some sort of protein/carb bar (low GI) during a match, and just have a mouthful occasionally if the drop-off is occurring. Different people react in different ways though.

hopefully I'm not a diabetic.

However i'm doping with RedBull, not so much in training if I'm not tired, but often in competition. It does give me a physical boost, and pumps me up (motivation, agressivity, focus). But I often notice after the match is over, I feel emptier, and makes the next match more difficult (of course UNLESS i get a new RedBull but the effect goes a bit down usually and so on)

You're right as well, if i don't manage my food correctly and my energy level goes down, my level of play goes down significantly.

This user has no status.
I can't wait that long to become a world class player, who knows if Boll is still playing then :rolleyes:

Anyway. Just came back from training, I felt pretty good. When I get into my zone I feel almost unbeatable. I also noticed something: Usually for a hard topspin I am contracting my lower arm muscles and have quite a tight grip. Today I tried out "squeezing" the handle as much as possible during the topspin and it appears that my balls come harder. It has been working quite well, so idk if I should pursue that or if it will hurt my transition game since I have quite a strong FH and BH grip, or if it will even hurt my wrist.

I also just noticed that someone is about to have the honor of post #6666

My technique has improved in the last few years when I realized that I had to be more relaxed for any move.
For FH, i do contract my muscle and tighten the grip at IMPACT, but its light, and I'm not "squeezing as much as possible". Also i open the wrist. Maybe before i used to squeeze more but i found out its improductive, makes me more mistakes and i'm too contracted for the next shot.

My FH is far from being the quickest around but its enough to score points even against better players if I get the chance. To get extra power, for me, its more about being in position, stay low and have time to take a good backswing. When on top of that the timing is good, then it will be a good and fast drive/topspin, without the feeling of trying to hit the ball hard and squeeze anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
hopefully I'm not a diabetic.

However i'm doping with RedBull, not so much in training if I'm not tired, but often in competition. It does give me a physical boost, and pumps me up (motivation, agressivity, focus). But I often notice after the match is over, I feel emptier, and makes the next match more difficult (of course UNLESS i get a new RedBull but the effect goes a bit down usually and so on)

You're right as well, if i don't manage my food correctly and my energy level goes down, my level of play goes down significantly.

I would strongly suggest that you tone down the Red Bull, or anything of that nature. It will spike your blood sugar, and then drop it drastically. Even in a non-diabetic person. This is the effect you are experiencing. You need something which will release glucose slowly over a period of time. If you can, talk to a sports dietician.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Don't do red bull man , its not good , the chemical is not good , it always causes a bad crash and then you get into a zombie state ... I would suggest use banana or try to find some of this stuff if that helps ...

SNE-01264-1.jpg

My technique has improved in the last few years when I realized that I had to be more relaxed for any move.
For FH, i do contract my muscle and tighten the grip at IMPACT, but its light, and I'm not "squeezing as much as possible". Also i open the wrist. Maybe before i used to squeeze more but i found out its improductive, makes me more mistakes and i'm too contracted for the next shot.

My FH is far from being the quickest around but its enough to score points even against better players if I get the chance. To get extra power, for me, its more about being in position, stay low and have time to take a good backswing. When on top of that the timing is good, then it will be a good and fast drive/topspin, without the feeling of trying to hit the ball hard and squeeze anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The are couple things to consider in red bull and similar drinks:
-the central nervous system stimulants like caffeine which keeps you alert
-simple sugars, like table sugar (glucose+fructose), high fructose corn syrup, and so on
-taurine, vitamins and ect..

As everyone knows the bad guy in the room is simple sugars. In short they work this way: their main property is that they are quickly processed and absorbed into the blood and result in a spike in a glucose (blood sugar). So if the glucose is high then with the help of insulin it is transported to muscle and liver and it is stored there in the form of glycogen as energy reserves. (When your blood sugar is low, glycogen is reverted to glucose which is consumed by body for doing its stuff). If there is still too much of blood sugar (as it can be the case if you eat simple sugars as they are released too quick into the blood) and your glycogen reserves are full, then glucose is transformed into fats and that's there all thw bad magic happens.

By the way glucose by itself is extremely important as it is the main ready to use energy source of the body and the only source of energy for the brain.

When doing their thing endurance athletes do use energy drinks (not the red bull type) to get energy from glucose and to fulfill their glycogen levels and to avoid hitting the "wall" when they run out of it. Also these energy drinks are enriched with electrolytes which athletes loose due to sweating.

So if you are not at the end of your second hour of your marathon run you should have enough energy reserves and you don't need to take energy drinks to increase the levels of energy.

Caffeine by itself is ok (unless you overdose it :) but that's a general rule ) and in essence because of it and other stimulants you could drink red bull. (Not with vodka :) )

So the conclusions no.1 is that if you need a red bull, drink sugarfree, as the can of red bull has around 25 grams of sugar and 0 grams of fiber (which delays the release of simple sugars) and that is close to the all day dose in one small can.

So the conclusions no. 2 don't get excited about orange juice and similar things as they are also very bad and full of sugar. Read the nutrition information and search for the amount of sugars in the products.

So conclusion no. 3 to get your energy use low release carbs with low glycemic index like oats and so on (I know, not that tasty).. Banana as ttmonster said is a an option if you feel out of energy. It is somewhere in the middle between low GI and high GI. Naturally the more ripe the banana is, the sweeter it is and higher GI it has.

And the last thing as I will get blisters from typic I use the following home made energy drink before going to the gym: cold coffee for "mental energy", instant or steel cut oats and banana for "body energy", protein powder for my muscles, water as needed. Add all this to the blender and blend :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Rule of thumb for sugar/carbohydrate intake (all types): the further it is removed from the natural state, the more of a problem it becomes. Carbohydrates are essential, so worth knowing.

So:
Fruit is better than smoothie is better than juice.
Whole rolled oats are better than "easy" oats which are better than instant oats.
Wholemeal bread is better than white bread.
Whole long grain rice is better than white long grain rice is better than jasmin rice.
Tomatoes are better than tomato ketchup. (Duh!).
No added sugar is better than added sugar, but don't believe them when they add fruit juice/fructose and call it "no added sugar" Fructose is sugar.

You get the picture.

I try to eat a meal containing wholewheat pasta or long grain brown rice a number of hours before playing a match. It's a fine line between not enough and too much. I stress, I am diabetic, so this is more of an issue for me. I reserve the quick fix for hypo attacks, of which I've only ever had one. That was scary enough.

However, anyone who is over 40, has a bigger waist measurement than they should, and without being racist, is Asian, is more likely to develop Type II diabetes in our modern society, and abusing sugar-filled drinks is a quicker way to get there. I am a volunteer for Diabetes UK, and come across at-risk people on a regular basis.

This user has no status.
its less for energy itself that i like RedBull but for its caffeine which gives me focus and agressivity.

I had a mini-tournament today, same kind than last week, but i was in much better shape.

There was 5 rounds this time. 1st one was an easy 3-0 win. 2nd round I was the favourite to win but it was a tricky match because the opponent had a spinny and consistent slow loop drive which caused me some troubles early in the match. But once i controlled it, i was able to dominate my opponent in nearly all aspects of the game, i could attack first on my serve, i received well enough, and i was able to block or even counterloop when he attacked. 3-0 (9 7 7) a few mistakes in receiving and sometimes footwork was a bit slow else the score would have been wider.
3rd round the guy was just too strong for me. His FH and BH flicks were like on ITTV. Same for his counterloops... he won the 1st 2 sets 1 and 6.... in the 3rd i tried to do better, he lost a bit of his focus and i took an early lead but couldn't do better than 9-11. I was surprised though that the guy lost to an opponent who always beat me, but to whom i took a few sets and gave some problems.
4th round perhaps my best match of the day against a guy about my level but a style that I abhor, a penholder with short pips. It was a tough match, two different styles, it was a very good game with many winners on both sides and a lot of rallies. +13 -10 +8 +6 was the score. I managed to block better in the 3rd and 4th and to move well. I even concluded a few long rallies with my signature TWI BH smash :)
5th match was against the young coach, a defender who plays at the (lower) national level. Although there were some spectacular long rallies, he is ultra consistent, and I lost -3 -2 -2 a horrible score... even though for once i didn't miss too many FH against backspin. i had problems pushing back some rather high balls which looked easy but were loaded with backspin. I also lost patience and attacked flat the wrong balls. and took too many risks in receive. ----> heavy punishment

still a much better showing than last week, and that was.... WITHOUT any REDBULL !!!!! :) I was just in shape and confident...

Reactions: darucla
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Rule of thumb for sugar/carbohydrate intake (all types): the further it is removed from the natural state, the more of a problem it becomes. Carbohydrates are essential, so worth knowing.

So:
Fruit is better than smoothie is better than juice.
Whole rolled oats are better than "easy" oats which are better than instant oats.
Wholemeal bread is better than white bread.
Whole long grain rice is better than white long grain rice is better than jasmin rice.
Tomatoes are better than tomato ketchup. (Duh!).
No added sugar is better than added sugar, but don't believe them when they add fruit juice/fructose and call it "no added sugar" Fructose is sugar.

You get the picture.

I try to eat a meal containing wholewheat pasta or long grain brown rice a number of hours before playing a match. It's a fine line between not enough and too much. I stress, I am diabetic, so this is more of an issue for me. I reserve the quick fix for hypo attacks, of which I've only ever had one. That was scary enough.

However, anyone who is over 40, has a bigger waist measurement than they should, and without being racist, is Asian, is more likely to develop Type II diabetes in our modern society, and abusing sugar-filled drinks is a quicker way to get there. I am a volunteer for Diabetes UK, and come across at-risk people on a regular basis.

Nicely written. Just in case wanted to add the obvious that for example "processed" rolled oats are better then for example unprocessed mango or water better then some orange juice :)

I also love energy drinks. Just i drink sugar free.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I went to the club like every Fridays to have a 1:1 with the main coach but he told me I forgot to book him !

So i had to train with the junior coach, for the 1st time. But it's good to have a change, and he's right handed. I asked him to work on my BH block. I'm quite good when the ball is coming from BH side or middle (from BH topspin or FH pivot) but not good when its coming from FH, especially when the arc is high where i become quite passive, and cannot control much : i always try down the line because of the side spin but its the short side of the table and 80% of the miss is over-miss.

He gave me a good tip: in the waiting position for the block, i should put the racket higher than i was doing, near my chest instead of near the belly. I can block the ball more actively adding a vertical motion from up to down and also control better, allowing for a diagonal shot. If its a low arc fast ball coming then lower the legs to adjust. Of course its possible to adjust with the hand as well.

With this simple tip, my error rate on this type of blocks went down from perhaps 60-70% to half of that + much better control. I hope i'll remember it !!! Together with the tip from last week on how to receive deep BH serves (off the bounce), my confidence has just taken a huge boost. May it last please... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Garrison
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
So yesterday I had my match and sadly we lost our first game of the season 5-9 (we are 5W 1L overall now). I am often complaining about the hall but this time it really hurt me. I have never seen a floor that slippery, which is really bad for my play since I need to have a strong stand to feel confident in my strokes. My backhand is very good on lower balls and when they come higher I run around and smash with the FH, something I simply couldn't do in that hall.

It was still a huge step into the right direction for me compared to the last weeks. I thought about stopping to train entirely because it simply doesn't bring any benefit when I can't deliver on game day.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Played the competition yesterday. Started off with a relatively solid win over a very skillful young and fast woman (much younger), then lost two abysmal matches. Actual matchplay wasn't that bad, but I'd been spending a few hours in service practice and I'm thinking that kind of messed with my basic automatics. The opponents being aggressive openers on both wings, I felt pressured when serving — but while my attempts to vary spin, placement, speed and add some deception did give me the edge in rallies when they occurred, in the the difference in these matches for the most part was my service faults. Argh.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Garrison,

Try having a new or relatively new pair of shoes for these venues with a slippery floor.

When shoes have their independent points of contact wore down, you look at bottom of shoe and think the shoe is still in good shape, but where it meets the floor with our particular step is wore down to a smooth continuous, instead of many separate points of contact. This gives the slipping on the bad floors.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yoass,

It sounds like the opponents in your two losses were several levels better. There is no shame in this no matter the result. Such better players place extra pressure on us to serve a "perfect" low/tight serve or sudden deep ones. This is tough to do under pressure. We know they will cream the mistakes. It looks like you fought with honor to me.... PLUS, you did better than your level vs the lady player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
One cheat code I have learnt from others , is to keep a moist towel by the net and continuously keep touching the toes of the shoes on that and doing a small skip step like motion afterwards to reaffirm the grip .. in case that helps. ...
So yesterday I had my match and sadly we lost our first game of the season 5-9 (we are 5W 1L overall now). I am often complaining about the hall but this time it really hurt me. I have never seen a floor that slippery, which is really bad for my play since I need to have a strong stand to feel confident in my strokes. My backhand is very good on lower balls and when they come higher I run around and smash with the FH, something I simply couldn't do in that hall.

It was still a huge step into the right direction for me compared to the last weeks. I thought about stopping to train entirely because it simply doesn't bring any benefit when I can't deliver on game day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
They did have a wet towel there, but it doesn't help more than wiping the sole with my hand. Normally that is enough for 3-4 points but yesterday I would make 3 steps and start slipping. The floor itself was not that slippery but very dirty, so the wet towel would just make more dust stick to the sole.

Also I do have very new shoes. Tried out the new Xiom Footwork, however the sole does not provide much grip. It's usually enough though

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
They did have a wet towel there, but it doesn't help more than wiping the sole with my hand. Normally that is enough for 3-4 points but yesterday I would make 3 steps and start slipping. The floor itself was not that slippery but very dirty, so the wet towel would just make more dust stick to the sole.

Also I do have very new shoes. Tried out the new Xiom Footwork, however the sole does not provide much grip. It's usually enough though

The best shoes for abnormal slick floors are tennis shoes made for warehouse workers.

A few years ago, a club used the wrong wax to do the floors. The water trick wouldn't work and the floors got slicker as you played with white powder from wax showing. I found a pair of warehouse soft sole shoes that were not affected by the conditions. Tennis or table tennis shoes didn't solve the problem.