How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Monday night blues!!! I played a match on Monday as well, lost all 3!!!
just wasn’t ‘at the races’. Very poor performance. Like yourself, opposition was beatable.
Inconsistency ruled my night!! Had chances in lots of points, messed up!! Then general game play was poor, bad placement, easy balls for them etc etc

Played again on Wednesday, which was better, managed to win 1, and against the 2 players mentioned below, lost in 4, but games were tight. A better night.
Opposition had the 4th and 8th ranked players in the division, with 70%+ win averages.
I played one of the youngsters, that we have been coaching for a couple of years, only his second league match. He won 2, beating the 8th ranked player in a tight game, 14-12 in the 5th. He did all the things right that I did wrong!!!
Happens to the best of us - I was ready to pack it all in on Monday, but back on it now...

Keep smiling.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Thanks Brs, that's a really interesting data point and highlights his strength in getting that ball back and keeping it in play, and my weakness in consistency.
I didn't count it here (way more work), but counting the average rally length on points you won vs points you lost sometimes tells an interesting story too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Fair point NL - I certainly respect what all three of these guys did on the night to beat me. I spent 30 mins this morning with my coach before our lesson, watching all three (very very painful!) and working on where I let it go. His observations centre on being too reactive, being too close to the table despite most balls being long or half long, and losing a games worth of missed serve returns ;-)

We then worked those side/top serves into the session along with drills to help me create space and move into position to play a better loop followed by a kill shot.

Last week, funnily enough we worked on short top spin serves and I need to bring these in.

Talking to him this morning he said "if I get a push return from a serve, happy days!" whereas I half dread them because I lack confidence on BH to attack them and open up.

We then played a match - he had to get to 50 and I had to get to 20. He won 50-13 which was crazy (He is 15 in the UK though so a pretty good standard)

Good 2h session today - I'm 100% focused.
Getting the confidence to open on backspin takes time. That said, it is rarely a swing issue and mostly always a legs issue - if you can squat/lunge and get low enough to play the stroke vs backspin, almost all the mystery of backspin disappears. Quality serves give you more time and opportunity to predict the returns and prepare early, so that is part of the solution to the mystery.

I tell most people to start with serving no spin or deceptive short side-topspin. It takes time to develop but is very rewarding. Most players at your level will pop the ball up, assuming the short ball means a backspin ball, and then you get a chance to practice and play an attacking third-ball stroke. If they don't pop the ball up, then serve real backspin with a similar motion.

I am working myself back into being able to post video again, hopefully I will find time to edit and share something.

The other thing about backspin is that it works better when you turn/spin the ball, rather than when you smack the ball. As a general rule, modern rubbers work better this way, which is why it is best to catch the ball close to the tip of your racket when looping and to learn to topspin high balls rather smack them unless they are lobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDM7 and Wrighty67
Monday night blues!!! I played a match on Monday as well, lost all 3!!!
just wasn’t ‘at the races’. Very poor performance. Like yourself, opposition was beatable.
Inconsistency ruled my night!! Had chances in lots of points, messed up!! Then general game play was poor, bad placement, easy balls for them etc etc

Played again on Wednesday, which was better, managed to win 1, and against the 2 players mentioned below, lost in 4, but games were tight. A better night.
Opposition had the 4th and 8th ranked players in the division, with 70%+ win averages.
I played one of the youngsters, that we have been coaching for a couple of years, only his second league match. He won 2, beating the 8th ranked player in a tight game, 14-12 in the 5th. He did all the things right that I did wrong!!!

IB66 you're sounding pretty hard on yourself there ...

I am sure you had many good setups, solid winners and quality rallies

btw, what are the top three areas of your game you look to improve on in 2023?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi LDM7,

looking to get back to where I was in March/April 2022!!!!:ROFLMAO:

I was starting to improve my techniques and consistency but 6 months out with the injury put a stop to that, what with not really having any more coaching since ( yeah, I’ve been coaching other people, but I’m in need of being coached, it really helps me with CONFIDENCE and that is a big big plus!!! often forgotten!!!)

So yes ,I’ve had some great games from those 3-1, 3-2 defeats. As one of my teammates says ‘HULK SMASH, HULK SMASH GOOOOOOD’ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

so the 3 areas to really focus on are -

1) Controlled attack WITH Consistency

2) Getting my GAME PLAN STRATEGY when serving, really sorted out.
I have some tricky serves,
Understanding how to get the receive I want from a certain serve, then implementing 1)

it would be 3) improving movement, bit of an issue with that one though!!!:LOL:

so

3) Improve serve receive and reading spin.

I may get around to filming a match this week, maybe Thursday nights match, perhaps I can post one that I win!!!!!

Reactions: LDM7
Happens to the best of us - I was ready to pack it all in on Monday, but back on it now...

Keep smiling.
wrighty tighty lefty loosey

if you think of packing it in, TTD forum us

if you are frustrated, try playing lefty

if you do packing it in, then this little dragon may have to skip across the pond and come see you at the local pub

com'on @Wrighty67

this thread wouldn't be the same without you

keep training, keep visualizing and keep the faith

your next breakthrough is just a crack away

Let's go mate 💪

out of curiosity, did you review your posted match(es) with your coach friday? if so, may i know a couple of areas you're improving and a couple opportunities to shine brighter? tks,

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66
looking to get back to where I was in March/April 2022!!!!
=> hey @IB66, were you any good back then? ;)

6 months out with the injury

=> that's no bueno, i didn't know that

=> is that separate from your lower back or related?

put a stop to that, what with not really having any more coaching since ( yeah, I’ve been coaching other people, but I’m in need of being coached, it really helps me with CONFIDENCE and that is a big big plus!!! often forgotten!!!)

=> that biggest joy i get from pinga ponga is when i do something "right" i.e. perform a skill correctly, i am genuinely happy 4 myself, i do not need any1 to pad me on my back, i know myself, that's how coaching gives me confidence and competence

I may get around to filming a match this week, maybe Thursday nights match, perhaps I can post one that I win!!!!!

=> win, lose or draw ... as long as we keep improving, waking up better than when we went to sleep, we shall be thankful, amen?

=> LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR VID (y)

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
wrighty tighty lefty loosey

if you think of packing it in, TTD forum us

if you are frustrated, try playing lefty

if you do packing it in, then this little dragon may have to skip across the pond and come see you at the local pub

com'on @Wrighty67

this thread wouldn't be the same without you

keep training, keep visualizing and keep the faith

your next breakthrough is just a crack away

Let's go mate 💪

out of curiosity, did you review your posted match(es) with your coach friday? if so, may i know a couple of areas you're improving and a couple opportunities to shine brighter? tks,
Hey LDM - thanks for the support. I am back and fully engaged.

I had a great 2h with my coach - watching the videos was painful. His main comment was - the player who plays with me is not the same player in those matches! One of my biggest issues is tightening up and reverting to poorly executed pushes. The other recurring issue is space and not moving into it - so cramping my ability to actually play a nice shot.

Lastly we decided to work harder on a more penetrating BH loop vs backspin. I get a lot of mid table pushes to my BH as serve returns - I need to be better at opening up on these with confidence and then getting ready for a 5th ball kill.

Keep well :)

Reactions: NextLevel

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
we decided to work harder on a more penetrating BH loop vs backspin. I get a lot of mid table pushes to my BH as serve returns - I need to be better at opening up on these with confidence and then getting ready for a 5th ball kill.
This is a great way to organize training. You chose a real point pattern that happens a lot to improve your response to the expected receive. You can play whole matches serving to get into this pattern and work on it almost like doing exercises with your coach.

Reactions: LDM7 and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
This is a great way to organize training. You chose a real point pattern that happens a lot to improve your response to the expected receive. You can play whole matches serving to get into this pattern and work on it almost like doing exercises with your coach.
That's the plan - the reality is that when faced with these pushes I tense up and lose confidence so need to really force myself to jump back, get low and swing freely to get the lift followed by the spin to bring the ball down - it's a shot I love (Ma Long's is my model BH loop) and so I am very motivated indeed to nail it.

• Love

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Monday night's RR vs Jeremy (3-1)

i was seeded #3 in a group of 5 plyrs

thank you for giving it a watch (9:03), feedback & assist me

There is so much good stuff going on in here. Your anticipation is great, and very active movement. Also your no-spin and smash against high balls is super strong. There were some nice backhands in there as well.

If you want something to work on, maybe forehand loop vs backspin. I watched the receive at 1:43 a bunch of times on slow-mo. Your finger is way up the back of your rubber and your grip seems very high on the bat. This may help add power to your smashes but limit your spin generation. Also you kind of jump-turn, which again is great to add power to smashes, but keeping your feet on the ground and pushing off might generate more lift on backspin balls.

In general I think your game is at a point where adding more spin would be very powerful to mess with your opponents. They are already under a lot of pressure from your aggressive flat attacks. They have to keep the ball low. If you serve backspin, they push, and you fh loop it up slow and spinny, how can they handle that? If they block back high you will start the smash pattern. That's the pattern I would go to next. Your movement is so good it would support playing fh over about 80% of the table.

Reactions: IB66 and LDM7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Monday night's RR vs Doan (3-2) #1 seed (long pips on BH side, Yaiks!)

I was #3 seeded in a group of 5 plyrs

Thank you for giving this vid (12:35) a watch, feedback and assist me improve

Well done - good match.

A few thoughts from my side;

1. Serves looking good
2. FH looking even better!
3. You struggled with his pips - lots of balls sent way off the table when you misread them when you might have just rolled over those balls and moved onto the attack
4. Footwork - I see me in there, nowhere near enough dynamic movement - you stay planted for long periods
5. Some great BH in game 5

Keep it up - looking solid

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Love it - I thought you played super well in this match!

Fantastic forehand play and real aggressive intentional/pro-active approach to the match - if he didn't keep it low, you attacked it.

Despite my comment on the other match re mobility, it looked much better to me in this one - you move around the FH really well.

BH - like most of us, this would add another dimension if it had more flow and freedom to the stroke.

@NextLevel

The other thing about backspin is that it works better when you turn/spin the ball, rather than when you smack the ball. As a general rule, modern rubbers work better this way, which is why it is best to catch the ball close to the tip of your racket when looping and to learn to topspin high balls rather smack them unless they are lobs

=> could you further clarify what "turn/spin the ball" mean?

I am working myself back into being able to post video again, hopefully I will find time to edit and share something

=> perhaps NL, could you make some demonstrative videos supporting your thread concepts & ideas?

Love it - I thought you played super well in this match!

Fantastic forehand play and real aggressive intentional/pro-active approach to the match - if he didn't keep it low, you attacked it.

Despite my comment on the other match re mobility, it looked much better to me in this one - you move around the FH really well.

BH - like most of us, this would add another dimension if it had more flow and freedom to the stroke.
Like I said before, your BH loop vs backspin inspired me to try harder

I WANT YOUR BH @Wrighty67

mine BH loop = more spinny than a loop drive

I am working on getting my bat ready and start w/ a still bat, drive through the ball more

also, one would notice I declined to open from my BH 100% opportunity

I am not trusting my BH just yet

I know ... I know ... It's a process

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Like I said before, your BH loop vs backspin inspired me to try ...

I WANT YOUR BH @Wrighty67

mine BH loop = more spinny than a loop drive

I am working on getting my bat ready and start w/ a still bat, drive through the ball more

also, one would notice I declined to open from my BH 100% opportunity

I am not trusting my BH just yet

I know ... I know ... It's a process
Did you see the vid I posted on the other thread about BH - it was my first real focus on BH loop vs under?

Here it is in case;

• Love
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Hi LDM7,

Saw what I expected. Improvement, and errors from trying really hard not quite in position or timing or bat height prep. Your gains in training get negated to a small and large degree in competitive matches from this, but this is seriously needed to solidify your gains.

Not gunna comment every point, but a number of them to show a pattern of the good and bad... a little more good than bad. This is from your match with Jeremy.

:38 You stepped forward to hit FH high ball. You had missed a number of these in practice
1:10 You targeted the body very well on a strong FH high ball
1:40 You lost point because you did not step fwd on your FH
1:44 You were way too wild way too long backswing and swing on the long serve, be more compact and loose grip at first
1:56 You stepped into the shot well vs high FH slow ball (you get a lot of these, so you should become real good at this)
2:13 Your fast shot to middle won point
2:19 Too much backswing vs long serve - use tiny step and arm placement to reduce backswing and get leverage
3:12/3:18 You had a kinda high ball to FH and you reached out instead of waiting or a step fwd - missed both shots
3:55 You stepped into higher slower ball on FH and finished with power and leverage
4:20 Reached in front too much on FH missed shot
5:12 SPIN TO WIN got winner from first topspin heavy
5:56 Moved opponent well and got him on a soft shot wide to BH
6:03 Stepped into FH well finished strong on balance with leverage
6:11 Did not move feet - it cost you - your tiny hop stepping would have helped you there
6:59 Way too much arm (lower and upper together) no timing or leverage
7:15 Stepped in well on slow kinda high FH ball - killed it
7:38 BH placement won point
7:53 SPIN to WIN again. Won on opener. Doesn't it feel good to do that when you want vs slow easy ball?
8:03 High ball to FH - You lifted bat high enough on prep - it won you the point easy
8:28 High ball on FH you did not raise bat high enough and could not angle shot down - lost point. Easy fix.
8:48 You went for strong hit on low ball bat too closed. Shot selection/awareness
9:03 You stepped in well on high ball

If you count how many times you missed the higher balls with FH compared to how many you made... you clearly see you made more of those... and you get easy points from them. You get so many chances like that every game. Good we worked on that. Getting a point or two every game net gain from those is HUGE. It is a combat multiplier. You are breaking even attacking long serves or pissing away a point too much... but it is needed. You have to attack the serves that should be attacked. Just work on being more compact in position leveraged. You make plays all the time when you do that.

You also showed some improved shot selection and rally tactical intelligence. That adds points, games, matches.

• Love
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Monday night's RR vs Doan (3-2) #1 seed (long pips on BH side, Yaiks!)

I was #3 seeded in a group of 5 plyrs

Thank you for giving this vid (12:35) a watch, feedback and assist me improve

Not gunna make so many time specific comments on this vid.

Clearly his use pips BH and soft FH troubled you on timing of bounce and on where ball was going when. You simply need to get used to it... and you got used to it enough. You figured out how to get a few more predictable balls to get easier points on offence and build confidence.

You made a LOT of shots when you were in good position with good stance balance and leverage. You made your points from this base on spin, placement, or consistency in rally. That is TT and this is not Sparta. But it is.

You are seeing how important it is to see the ball what opponent did to it, figure out instantly what you want to do, then move and prep and execute... all on a subconscious level.

Finally you are seeing in a medium competitive match situation some of the fruit of your improvement in training and focus areas. You are seeing how important it is to move forward vs slower balls to set position and leverage. You are making better decisions with shot selection and executing shots better with more quality (spin, placement, suddenness, variety, pace, depth)

This cycle of improvement never ends as there is always another level or twenty above you to challenge you.

• Angry
Reactions: NextLevel and LDM7