FZD - will he rise to the top?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Personally I would like to see FZD rise to the absolute No.1. We are from the the same province in China so I am biased 😁. His new style is quite entertaining.

Sadly ML completely dominated the match in the China trial.

So I wonder how long will ML stay dominant over FZD? How long will FZD stay top before WCQ rise up?

What I am most afraid of is FZD becomes the next Wang Hao. Wang Hao was dominated by the senior Ma Lin. When Ma Lin went downhill Wang Hao was dominated by the new rising ZJK.

In front of FZD there is senior ML. WCQ is catching up fast from behind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Personally I would like to see FZD rise to the absolute No.1. We are from the the same province in China so I am biased 😁. His new style is quite entertaining.

Sadly ML completely dominated the match in the China trial.

So I wonder how long will ML stay dominant over FZD? How long will FZD stay top before WCQ rise up?

What I am most afraid of is FZD becomes the next Wang Hao. Wang Hao was dominated by the senior Ma Lin. When Ma Lin went downhill Wang Hao was dominated by the new rising ZJK.

In front of FZD there is senior ML. WCQ is catching up fast from behind.
Unfortunately, I think FZD will face the same fate as Wang Hao. He will be a great player for a long time, but I think Wang Chuqing will be hard for him to deal with going forward.

• Angry
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hmm, me thinks it is all in the mind !
As I also watched the 3 - nadda beating at the China trial I could not help thinking back
to other thrashings. (was it at the olympics ?)
MaLong for me is still the goat and while I am in awe of FZD skills , he might not last as long as
others did .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Guys, China trial is a match without stakes. People should always know the difference between a match with stakes and a match without stakes. It helps understand the motivation of the players to win when things are not going their way.

Trials are not for the core players per se, they are for the people who want to replace the core players. The only guy who is really at risk in trials on core team is maybe Lin Gaoyuan, because whoever comes out will replace him, but Fan, ML, LJK and WCQ usually have nothing to play for. Those guys are secure on national team.

Ma Long probably had more desire to win than Fan because Ma Long can get released from the team at his age. Fan is the current world champion and world #1 so he is going to WTTC no matter what happens. Ma still has to justify why he is keeping the younger ones from taking spots.

If they play in another event where title and money is on the line and only one guy can really win, then we can judge for real.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Totally agree with NL.

The thread title is not accurate and a bit unfair here. You can compare their levels over the last few years but not their careers, and FZD should have a while longer to go once ML retires.

To me, FZD has been at the top along with ML for a while now, except ML is a legend among legends with an incredible list of achievements and records that FZD likely won't top. FZD has already solidified himself at the #1 ITTF spot for a while which is already huge, staying in the top core of the CNT also, I'd say his top goal for posterity has to be winning Gold in Singles at the Olympics, then achieving the Triple Crown so few have achieved.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hmm, me thinks it is all in the mind !
As I also watched the 3 - nadda beating at the China trial I could not help thinking back
to other thrashings. (was it at the olympics ?)
MaLong for me is still the goat and while I am in awe of FZD skills , he might not last as long as
others did .

I hope we are wrong. I really like his new style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Guys, China trial is a match without stakes. People should always know the difference between a match with stakes and a match without stakes. It helps understand the motivation of the players to win when things are not going their way.

Trials are not for the core players per se, they are for the people who want to replace the core players. The only guy who is really at risk in trials on core team is maybe Lin Gaoyuan, because whoever comes out will replace him, but Fan, ML, LJK and WCQ usually have nothing to play for. Those guys are secure on national team.

Ma Long probably had more desire to win than Fan because Ma Long can get released from the team at his age. Fan is the current world champion and world #1 so he is going to WTTC no matter what happens. Ma still has to justify why he is keeping the younger ones from taking spots.

If they play in another event where title and money is on the line and only one guy can really win, then we can judge for real.

That's an insightful analysis. LGY is probably out of the core team. And I agree the trial is the arena for the newer players to prove themselves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
China no 1 is not necessary world no 1.
Fan is world number 1 already.... 3 x World Cup winner, World Champ winner
how can he be the next Wang Hao?

Olympic. What if ML retires at the end of this year and WCQ doubles his performance?

Given the current form ML is still amazing. If ML and FZD goes to the next Olympic FZD will likely win.

If WCQ and FZD go to the next Olympic, it's probably a 50/50

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Olympic. What if ML retires at the end of this year and WCQ doubles his performance?

Given the current form ML is still amazing. If ML and FZD goes to the next Olympic FZD will likely win.

If WCQ and FZD go to the next Olympic, it's probably a 50/50
That's just life.
Look at Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen, world numbers 1 with any title?
Many got the 2 of the 3 grand slams, Fan is already there at age 26 (if that is his true age)

I do hope Fan gets his olympic gold to make it grand slam. Looking at the lack of depth, he should have 2 more shots still.

However, I do think near definition of grand slam is required, since world cup is canceled by WTT. So now there is OG, WTTCF and a bunch of Smash (okay, one....)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
If I remember correctly, FZD becomes World Champion when Ma Long did not play in the tournament (I forget for what reason).

I personally have a feeling that FZD is given (by CNT) the world title last time, by not allowing ML to participate. If Ma Long played last time, it might be him who would be the world champ once again. Not to say that FZD is not capable, he is an extremely good player, but Ma Long is better, I think.

Am I just speculating here?

The point is, if Ma Long is still playing, it will be harder for FZD to be on top (not impossible, considering Ma Long is getting older).

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
If I remember correctly, FZD becomes World Champion when Ma Long did not play in the tournament (I forget for what reason).

I personally have a feeling that FZD is given (by CNT) the world title last time, by not allowing ML to participate. If Ma Long played last time, it might be him who would be the world champ once again. Not to say that FZD is not capable, he is an extremely good player, but Ma Long is better, I think.

Am I just speculating here?

The point is, if Ma Long is still playing, it will be harder for FZD to be on top (not impossible, considering Ma Long is getting older).
There is no shame in losing to Ma Long.

Reactions: matzreenzi
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Overall, Ma Long is more athletic than Fan ZD and many others Chinese players, it's a fact. His build, movement, strength, and mentality are second to none. He's one of the greatest athletes in sports.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
My gut feeling proved correct. FZD played a slow and conservative game. He made so many predictable errors.

After leading 2-0, he lost 3 games straight and got eliminated 😓
But you have to give the credit to the other player too.
Cho played a smart game.
Maybe FZD didn't play his best, but it doesn't matter. To keep consistency always at 100% is impossible, because we're humans.
And Cho played amazingly well 🙌 🏓
I have to watch that match many times, too many lessons there.

Last edited:
Mar 2021
My gut feeling proved correct. FZD played a slow and conservative game. He made so many predictable errors.

After leading 2-0, he lost 3 games straight and got eliminated 😓
Watching FZD lately is like watching Fat Thor in Avengers Endgame.
I am sure he will bounce back like Thor in Love & Thunder. Thor will not be Fat Thor for long. FZD will not be lame FZD for long. I await the return of BEAST FZD.

P/s FZD on Beast Mode is forever etched in my hard drive.