SDC Handmade Blades

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
DHS uses Aramid-Carbon on the HL5 and W968, not ALC. I've written this somewhere else, the composition on those blades isn't exactly the same, there is a fundamental difference between them. The commercial version of the HL5 uses (or used, it appears they may have changed this) what I call Ay-C. This particular type of fabric only has aramid in the vertical direction and carbon in the horizontal direction. The higher flexibility of aramid is responsible for the lower frequency reading. The W968 uses a plain A-C fabric, with an equal ratio of fibers in both directions. This gives it a bit more stiffness, but also more softness, and the frequency is usually in the lower 1300s Hz.

The new generation of W968 has a higher frequency, closer to 1400 Hz, which tells me they messed with the stiffness somehow. This can be done in a number of ways, but the most obvious one is the lamination process of the A-C layer. This is also something I often experiment with. I also see a small, but relevant difference in the plies, so it can be one of the two, or both.
What differences have you noticed between the W968 Provincial and National versions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
We're talking about professional grade blades selected for and by pros like the W968 and Viscaria Golden for exemple that go through an extreme selection process. This is creme of the crop quality. Many pros are sponsored by Butterfly and many of them get exactly what they want may it be a custom, exact specs, carefully selected... And they try several units before deciding on a couple. Butterfly can make exactly what a player wants just like DHS, it is just not accessible to us under $500-$1000. This is why we're lucky to have expert artisans like Sergio who can make top quality customs at an affordable price just as well as the top blade makers at BTY or DHS

Butterfly blades are on top of their game when it comes to commercial grades for the public, more so than many other brands including DHS. Nittaku is probably #1 in terms of quality for the public, the materials they use and the craftsmanship seems more artisanal and consistent, quality you can feel.
For example doesn't Dima just use the Butterfly Ocharov blade? Isn't that the same common commercial blade for $180 or whatever?

Why doesnt he just use W968 since it seems 968 is better?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
For example doesn't Dima just use the Butterfly Ocharov blade? Isn't that the same common commercial blade for $180 or whatever?

Why doesnt he just use W968 since it seems 968 is better?
Dima is sponsored by Butterfly, so why would he pay $1000 to use a 968...? Also he is either using a custom Butterfly Ovtcharov blade or one carefully selected for him, as good of quality as a 968, you can be sure of it.

I think it's important not to compare apples with oranges, in this case pro grade blades with commercial ones. You can't slam Butterfly for making overall good quality blades even if they're prices are high. Just like a lot of people slam China for supposedly only making low quality products, the W968 or iPhones are good exemples of high quality products made in China.

Also you might want to try a W968 before making comparisons. Maybe you won't feel any difference in quality compared to a standard Viscaria.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
CNT players get 968 for free. They do need to go through an approval process so they can't just get a new blade willy nilly but it's free. Non-sponsored players using Butterfly blades buy them on the open market. They do have connections and get to pick their own blade though. Yin Hang says he would pick one Viscaria out of 20 from his dealer to play with. He said Chen Qi told him that he'd pick one out of 50. So while they don't have blades made specifically for them, they get to pick one out of an obscene number that specifically suits them.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
CNT players get 968 for free. They do need to go through an approval process so they can't just get a new blade willy nilly but it's free. Non-sponsored players using Butterfly blades buy them on the open market. They do have connections and get to pick their own blade though. Yin Hang says he would pick one Viscaria out of 20 from his dealer to play with. He said Chen Qi told him that he'd pick one out of 50. So while they don't have blades made specifically for them, they get to pick one out of an obscene number that specifically suits them.
If you have good friend in shop and he is allowed to open packaging you can try it in the same way...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Very stiff blade with a compact head size, for aggressive play near the table.

Available FS.

- Poplar / Cypress / TC160 / Kiri / TC160 / Cypress / Poplar
- 85.0g
- 7.25mm
- 158x150mm
- CS (82x24.0x33mm)
- 1916Hz
- Balance: 3.6cm

481-1.jpg

481-2.jpg

481-3.jpg

Reactions: riemsesy and Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is an outer fiber blade with a Etimoe outer layer. Etimoe has crisp feeling and it's a nice alternative to Koto (not that it really needs one). Unlike most outer fiber blades, this one wasn't designed for more speed, but to encompass some of the advantages of a typical outer fiber blade like the crisp and direct feeling, bigger sweetspot, decreased vibrations and higher predictability, without the speed increase which generally comes along with it.

Available FS.

- Etimoe / Innegra / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Innegra / Etimoe
- 83.4g
- 6.2mm
- 157x150mm
- ST/CON (102x28-30x24mm)
- 1227Hz
- Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

674-1.jpg

674-2.jpg

674-3.jpg

Reactions: Metaxa and Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
MM ALC composition with a slightly larger head size. The completely random handle pattern makes this one a truly unique blade and impossible to fully replicate.

Available FS.

- Limba / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Limba
- 85.7g
- 6.05mm
- 158x152mm
- ST (102x28x23mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 2.5cm (Low)

671-1.jpg

671-2.jpg

671-3.jpg

671-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Inner fiber blade with a thick core that provides extra stiffness, and a relatively hard Smoked Eucalyptus outer ply for that crisp and direct feel. On the handle we have various exotic woods such as Zebrano, Wenge, Ebony, Padauk and Purple Heart.

Available FS.

- Smoked Eucalyptus / Ayous / I-C / Kiri / I-C / Ayous / Smoked Eucalyptus
e 88.1g
- 6.15mm
- 157x150mm
- FL (101x25-23mm)
- 1380Hz
- Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

713_1.jpg

713_2.jpg

713_3.jpg

713_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is another case where the frequency reading is misleading. The 1250Hz value would suggest a little faster blade, but the core is so light, that it doesn't have the mass to support higher speeds. However, that extra stiffness helps with the stability of the blade, and makes it a little better at blocking than other blades in this speed class. The handle is made from natural cork and Wenge wood.

Available FS.

- Framiré / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / Framiré
- 67.0g
- 6.15mm
- 157x150mm
- ST (102x28x23mm)
- 1250Hz
- Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

716-1.jpg

716-2.jpg

716-3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Typical HL5 composition but with a slightly thicker core, but not as thick as the HL5X.

Available FS.

- Limba / Ayous / AC# / Ayous / AC# / Ayous / Limba
- 91.2g
- 5.95mm
- 158x150mm
- ST (101x28x23mm)
- 1356Hz
- Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

722-1.jpg

722-2.jpg

722-3.jpg

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Do you mean on the blade? That's just the lighting condition of the photo. Also because I sand the edges smooth, I don't leave the fibers fraying like DHS.
Have you ever tried making a thin (~6 mm), Balsa-core offensive blade (with or without composite)? All regular Balsa-core blades seem to be quite thick (7 mm+).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Have you ever tried making a thin (~6 mm), Balsa-core offensive blade (with or without composite)? All regular Balsa-core blades seem to be quite thick (7 mm+).
I've made a few, not many. Balsa is very light, if you use a "regular" core then the blade will have no mass. No mass means no power, so they use thick cores to increase the stiffness. Of course you can also use denser outer plies in a thinner composition and get some extra stiffness that way, but that difference in density gives a very weird feeling, hard but hollow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The core is probably the most important part of a blade, it affects feeling, stability and power. A dense core will provide more of these features, but the downside is the extra weight. Well, not everyone likes light blades, so here I've used the densest Ayous cores I have. The extra mass on the core also brings the frequency down, so don't be fooled, they are very powerful for this type of composition. There are two of these old school looking blades for sale, you can have just one or the matching pair.

Edit: only one left!

- Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
- 98.0g
- 5.8mm
- 154x150mm
- CON (102l x 28-30w x 27-24h)mm
- 1205Hz
- Balance: 2.2cm (Low / Very Low)

714-715-1.jpg

714-715-2.jpg

714-715-3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tadeiro and Metaxa
Jan 2023
The core is probably the most important part of a blade, it affects feeling, stability and power. A dense core will provide more of these features, but the downside is the extra weight. Well, not everyone likes light blades, so here I've used the densest Ayous cores I have. The extra mass on the core also brings the frequency down, so don't be fooled, they are very powerful for this type of composition. There are two of these old school looking blades for sale, you can have just one or the matching pair.

- Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
- 98.0g
- 5.8mm
- 154x150mm
- CON (102l x 28-30w x 27-24h)mm
- 1205Hz
- Balance: 2.2cm (Low / Very Low)

714-715-1.jpg

714-715-2.jpg

714-715-3.jpg
Interesting head shape. How does it compare to a "standard" head shape? Supposedly bigger sweet spot?