WTT Champions Frankfurt 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The WTT format is just showing us that what we already knew to be true of every other sport applies in TT too, namely, you cannot be at your best all the time. You have to choose which events you really want to win, and focus on those.

That's why, once they get to a certain level, top champions become more selective about what events they compete in, and for what reason. For example, even Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Rafa Nadal lost matches against lower ranked players sometimes, but those losses usually happened in less important tournaments. Essentially 'warm up' tournaments which they only played to prep for the more important grand slam events.

Seriously well done to Lee SS and Lim J for their victories over FZD and LJK this afternoon! But, to keep things in perspective, those games were possibly the best I've seen Lee SS and Lim J play. Certainly among their highest level performances. On the other hand, both FZD and LJK are looking like they're playing at 60%.

China will be gearing all their prep towards Paris '24 at this stage. Let's see what happens then.
you are right
They is way more "tournaments" now then before.
Not to mention, China went through a taxing national games only just days ago..

There is just way too many back to back to back to back tournaments.

Best out of 5 is also more pressure.
Maybe they should change olympics to best out of 5s too

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
LSS 3-1 FZD

JPN is out. KOR is in.
why you say Japan out??
Japan was never in.
If any country that caused issue for CNT in OG, it is the Koreans....With 2 wins out of 9.

I think Japanese players are seen as super stars, but Koreas are super "step up" stars

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
According to Table Tennis Reference, FZD beat LSS all 9 times they played since 2015 (with LSS winning just 3 games in 9 matches). To paraphrase the great Vitas Gerulaitis, "“Nobody beats Lee Sangsu 10 times in a row.”

I don't expect to ever again see 3 consecutive upsets like we saw today. There was even a fourth simultaneous upset going on in Santiago at the Pan Am games, where Andy Pereira beat Eugene Wang for the first time in his career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
According to Table Tennis Reference, FZD beat LSS all 9 times they played since 2015 (with LSS winning just 3 games in 9 matches). To paraphrase the great Vitas Gerulaitis, "“Nobody beats Lee Sangsu 10 times in a row.”

I don't expect to ever again see 3 consecutive upsets like we saw today. There was even a fourth simultaneous upset going on in Santiago at the Pan Am games, where Andy Pereira beat Eugene Wang for the first time in his career.
You can use the ITTF head to head to show all results:

https://results.ittf.link/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=list&listid=26&Itemid=247

If you plug in Lee Sang Su and Fan Zhendong, it shows LSS at 0-14. Not yet updated of course with today's win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
why you say Japan out??
Japan was never in.
If any country that caused issue for CNT in OG, it is the Koreans....With 2 wins out of 9.

I think Japanese players are seen as super stars, but Koreas are super "step up" stars
So if Harimoto's parents had moved to Korea and not Japan, he would be a gold medallist? :unsure:

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Would Bernie be chosen for Olympic singles under Japan's selection criteria? 🤔
Well, she would get 10 pts (the first win over CM was in 2022 so no points), putting her in 45th place (would've been 28th if that first win counted) in the player standings. But when it comes to beating top 3 CNT players, she would rank 3rd.

For comparison:
Hirano has 25 pts from 3-2 WYD (WR3) at Singapore Smash 2023 and 4-3 SYS (WR1) at WTT CT Zagreb 2023
Hayata has 15 pts from 4-3 WYD (WR3) at WTTC 2023

• Haha
Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Feel really sad for FZD.

Right at the start I said FZD was very inconsistent in the training video.

I am serious worried FZD’s career will be over because WCQ is improving leaps and bounds.
shoot man don't say that! I think Fan still has the edge over WCQ directly but WCQ seems to be doing better against everyone else.

Hopefully they both keep pushing each other to improve.

Jan 2018
why you say Japan out??
Japan was never in.

I'm not talking about the historical aspect of South Korea here, which I've touched on multiple times over the years [1, 2, 3, 4]. I'm referring to the selection system. Yoo Namkyu got himself in hot water in the Tokyo 2020 cycle with his "infinite competition [1, 2]" and by now Miyazaki has done the same for the Paris 2024 cycle. The KNT under Joo Sehyuk (MT headcoach) and Oh Kwanghun (WT headcoach) are no doubt back on track in terms of harmony after a shaky start [1, 2, 3, 4].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Feel really sad for FZD.

Right at the start I said FZD was very inconsistent in the training video.

I am serious worried FZD’s career will be over because WCQ is improving leaps and bounds.
His backhand and middle has been a problem.
Ma's backhand is not the flashiest, but it's stable.
Fan's is flashy, more dynamic but less stable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
shoot man don't say that! I think Fan still has the edge over WCQ directly but WCQ seems to be doing better against everyone else.

Hopefully they both keep pushing each other to improve.
WCQ is another example of "improving naturally", over familiarity with FZD is his nemesis at this point. If he was another association, he'll be beating FZD more.
He'll face LJH, TH/LYJ and possibly Felix in the final. If he scales through these three, it'll banish all the blues of the Asian cup and Asian Championships.

Jan 2018
Folks may want to look up WCQ's H2H against LJK and LGY. Doesn't compare well.

Reactions: NextLevel