JTTA: Selection System to be Revamped for Paris 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
it looks like
1415 deep BH push to BH from Harimoto
It's really interesting that in both the 6th and the 7th, Harimoto up his match/set points by pushing deep to Togami's BH, Liang JK did the same at Taiyuan to win.

On the side, I've notice moments when one was stretch on the wide FH by the other. Instead of using a cross step to move further from the table and do a FH loop, they opt for a side step and stretch their arms out in a kind of a half block/half counter-topspin, thus losing their balance in the process.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Hayata, Hirano, Ito, Miwa selected for WTTC by selection point rankings. Kihara selected by recommendation.

Question is, will Ito reject her spot?
Poor Uda. He was 4th in WR back in 2023 Week #45 - November 07th when JTTA signed up before the deadline.

Official lineups
https://jtta.or.jp/news/17926
https://jtta.or.jp/tour/11136

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/2023_45_SEN_MS.html
https://jtta.s3.ap-northeast-1.amaz...23/03/17165627/2023wttcajiawttc_selection.pdf

日本队为临时名单 (Provisional JNT lineups)
https://weibo.com/5856892718/NC7e59IIW
日本釜山团体赛名额 (JNT WTTC 2024 lineups)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8862998263
釜山世乒赛有卖有可能日本变阵 (The possibility of JNT changing the women lineup for WTTC 2024)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8860930630
怒怼黑子的小螃蟹 让美合二单 平野三单 主打出其不意 (Let Miwa play 2nd singles, Hirano 3rd singles, take us by surprise)
IP属地:陕西来自Android客户端1楼2024-01-14 21:10

小福猪猪 日本怎么也是赢的概率小,不如拼平野一单,美和二单,早田三单 (Japan's odds are low no matter what, better to fight with Hirano in 1st singles, Miwa 2nd singles and Hayata 3rd singles)
IP属地:山东来自Android客户端4楼2024-01-14 23:22

贴吧用户_QXXUGVQ
没有,现在日本主教练非常求稳 (No, Japan's current head coach is very play-safe-oriented)
IP属地:云南来自iPhone客户端6楼2024-01-15 13:15

咒術少校
看日本教練想求穩拿銀還是想衝金 想衝的話平野必不可少 團體也能改奇陣 至於第三人 我看只要美和全日錦打好一點 已經大多會是由她上陣了 (It depends on whether the Japanese coach wants to secure silver or go for gold. If he wants to go for it, Hirano is indispensable. They can also use a surprise lineup in team event. As for the 3rd member, I think as long as Miwa plays well enough at Zennihon Takkyu, she will mostly be fielded.)
IP属地:中国香港来自iPhone客户端8楼2024-01-15 15:14

Last edited:
Jan 2018
When you google Ina Bauer, the images do make sense as a description of how Hari celebrates. The Japanese can be so poetic...
I think he's said on TV once that he is not flexible enough to do it anymore. LOL For him to attempt that in G6 shows how much it means to him.

Jan 2018
it looks like

It's really interesting that in both the 6th and the 7th, Harimoto up his match/set points by pushing deep to Togami's BH, Liang JK did the same at Taiyuan to win.

On the side, I've notice moments when one was stretch on the wide FH by the other. Instead of using a cross step to move further from the table and do a FH loop, they opt for a side step and stretch their arms out in a kind of a half block/half counter-topspin, thus losing their balance in the process.
Was going to write about it. As Harimoto noted in the Butterfly interview after WTTC 2023, he made a mistake when LJK didn't and it shows he's learned from it.

Cross step is too slow nowadays (I still remember a former Div 1 club member told me to ditch it a decade ago). It takes too long to initiate and recover. Practically all young players don't do it anymore, even when they are close to 2 meters behind the table.

• Wow
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Hayata, Hirano, Ito, Miwa selected for WTTC by selection point rankings. Kihara selected by recommendation.

Question is, will Ito reject her spot?
Even if she goes , likely she gets benched most / all of the time I think

For men the third spot in Olympics belong to Shinozuka or Matsushima I think because they will choose a leftie. Shinozuka seems to be the better player and has played more often doubles with Harimoto but JNT likes to choose a young promising player which highly favors Matsushima (and Miwa)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Cross step is too slow nowadays (I still remember a former Div 1 club member told me to ditch it a decade ago). It takes too long to initiate and recover. Practically all young players don't do it anymore, even when they are close to 2 meters behind the table.
You're right, then I guess players have to practice predicting the wide FH to have a quicker side step. Harimoto exploited this weakness of Togami quite well, especially on that Hari-bauer point and the 9-10 in the 7th set

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
it looks like

After that point, Harimoto turned around and pointed at his coach. The coach pointed to his temple as if to say "good thinking." Seemed like a tactic the two were worked on together.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Even if she goes , likely she gets benched most / all of the time I think

For men the third spot in Olympics belong to Shinozuka or Matsushima I think because they will choose a leftie. Shinozuka seems to be the better player and has played more often doubles with Harimoto but JNT likes to choose a young promising player which highly favors Matsushima (and Miwa)
If she were to go, she could still play vs. any other country except China. There is precedent for Ito not going. I don't recall if it was coach's decision or her decision, but she did not go to the 2022/2023 Asian Games. If she's not going to the 2024 WTTTC, then Kihara would be the 4th person, and my guess would be Nagasaki for 5th spot.

I would be very surprised if Shinozuka was not chosen as 3rd player for this Olympics. He's only 20. He's also 2024 All Japan Mixed Doubles Champion with Kihara so he has credentials there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
[… If she's not going to the 2024 WTTTC, then Kihara would be the 4th person, and my guess would be Nagasaki for 5th spot.]

From all the interviews that zeio linked, Ito kept mentioning she wants to finish on a high note. There’s no better position to retire from than with a WTTC Team medal, which is quite feasible. Yet all her trash talks about not participating if not as a Single’s player is probably going to backfire. I for one would not include her in any team position for fear of affecting team cohesion. That said, Ito remains the most accomplished player amongst all, from her 10 yrs of international competition experience.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
My opinion is that Ito should go even if she's benched if she cares about any sort of future with JTTA. Clearly relationships are strained and she needs to mend them. There are many more milestones in TT besides Olympics which Zeio has also pointed out that Mima has yet to achieve. That said, Mima has appeared burnt out for a very long time and I think she needs some time away from the table after WTTC to reevaluate if 'training to death' for another four years is something that she wants or if she wishes to move on altogether. Whatever she chooses, she's already given us some of the most exciting table tennis this decade and has my blessing.

Jan 2018
A lot of catch-up to do...

Bjhj4hO.jpg

Hayata: Hello, Kinoshita's 4 Mi!
BnEKs8T.jpg

Could you get a shot of them, camera-san? They are over there!
dYNuFgU.jpg

Hirano/Kihara: How could we lose to Nissay? Ugh!
Eosz2Go.jpg

OttUxrd.jpg

s79EY23.jpg

gDvKmFL.jpg

Hayata: Chimu Hina!
iSvNz4k.jpg

Reactions: KiwiPong
Jan 2018
Spectator: I'm falling asleep...
Harimoto: Epic comeback mode activated!
qcShN5U.jpg

Harimoto: Wocao! (99% sure he said it)
cZuW8rh.jpg

Harimoto: OTZ!
e3ocgHL.jpg

g27nFhP.jpg

Harimoto: This the result of losing 5kg of weight!
GjzuPuk.jpg

Harimoto: Go read my Butterfly interview after WTTC 2023.
RzI3t3h.jpg

Harimoto: OTZ x2!
hiNgt6Y.jpg

dItMWfF.jpg

LZQsDBA.jpg

rksBOto.jpg

X1NRL4z.jpg

2i3dolY.jpg

Harimoto: I am also Harimoto. Where's the difference? Let me search the internet...
t878Amo.jpg

KC0GDAi.jpg

YaDadwc.jpg

Nj77TA3.jpg

lNFAdwo.jpg

yxDC4I0.jpg

GbdLGZv.jpg

IMnwD6J.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Harimoto: Write better of me, Takurepo-san (中川学/NAKAGAWA Gaku)!
Takurepo-san: Money talks, son!
wkSKBE4.jpg

QpfstRQ.jpg

Ice1ksX.jpg

Jan 2018
Miyazaki "announced" the 3rd member for WT in Going! Sports & News that aired on 2024/01/27.

Full album - https://imgur.com/a/EUs71Zr
eamNnR1.jpg

Miyzaki: Now that Japan has Hayata and Hirano, anyone else can be picked and the silver medal will be secured, we will reach the final...
YTtbIxx.jpg

kvMn5Hg.jpg

If the goal is to defeat China in the final, who should we choose to win against China?
nrzI2ls.jpg

xKroijB.jpg

I think it's Harimoto Miwa-san
T8t28wm.jpg

(What kind of result at Zennihon Takkyu to represent at Paris Olympics?)
UHVqqOg.jpg

Reaching the SF at a minimum, fighting in a way that rivals Olympic representatives, that kind of appeal is necessary...
dUmriR3.jpg

TWfczCK.jpg

Q9FuoUp.jpg

Table Tennis Paris Olympics Japan Representative Confirmed
WS Hirano Miu Hayata Hina (notice the order...)
OqimHVc.jpg

CcyxHWW.jpg

5Ch5jb4.jpg

JKvzVsH.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KiwiPong
Jan 2018
Daily Shincho quotes the opinion of a table tennis watcher, criticizing Ito's comment on the WT.

女子卓球“団体3枠目”は15歳「張本美和」に決まるのか? 大魔王「伊藤美誠」が勝てなくなった根本的な理由
https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2024/01301700/?all=1
https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2024/01301700/?all=1&page=2
特徴を見失ってしまった

ただし、こんな意見もある。指摘するのはある卓球ウオッチャー。

「東京五輪やリオ五輪の際、同学年で伊藤のよきライバルであった平野や早田は代表になれず悔しい思いをしたものの、サポートメンバーとしてチームに帯同、練習相手や球拾いなどで貢献してきた。いくらシングルスの優勝が目標で、そのシングルスに出られないからと言って、団体戦に選ばれても出るかどうかわからない、というのは、他の選手に対し礼を失し、ワガママと受け取られかねません。もちろん、そのくらいの気持ちで戦ってきたという覚悟のほどはよくわかるのですが、選手として口にしてはいけないことのように思えてしまい、残念です」

いずれにせよ、伊藤にとって正念場なのは間違いない。それにしても、日本のエース・伊藤はなぜ勢いがなくなったのか。卓球担当記者はこう分析する。

「伊藤の卓球は、ラリーを長引かせ徐々に良い展開にしていくタイプではない。一撃必殺のスマッシュ“みまパンチ”に代表されるように、なるべく短いラリーで勝負するのが得意。ただ、3年前の全日本で石川佳純に粘られて負けたことや、その後、中国選手に敗戦が続いたことなどから、ラリーでも勝てる方向にモデルチェンジを試みました。ところが、元々ラリーの力はそう高くなかったことや、相手から研究されたことも相俟って自分のプレイスタイルの特徴を見失ってしまったのです」

伊藤か張本か

こうなると、団体戦要員としての推薦枠の選出は非常に難しくなる。伊藤に代わる有力候補に浮上しているのは、男子のエース・張本智和の妹で、全日本準優勝と躍進した15歳の張本美和だ。

張本は昨年後半からメキメキと力をつけ、中国のトップ選手と互角に渡り合ってきた。いま卓球王国・中国が最も警戒する選手だ。全日本の決勝では、日本の不動のエースとなった早田にはおよばなかったものの、昨年の五輪選考会では早田や伊藤、平野にも勝利している。半年後のパリ五輪開催時には、日本のエースにのし上がっているかもしれない。そのくらいの安定度やポテンシャルの高さなのだ。今年、全日本での「きょうだいV」はならなかったが、きょうだいでの五輪代表は現実味を帯びてきた。一方、それでも伊藤を団体戦枠に選出すべきとの声もある。それは、五輪メダリストとしての実績、他国にはあまりないプレイスタイルが効果的だと指摘されることによる。

伊藤か張本か――。2月5日、日本卓球協会はパリ五輪代表候補3枠目も含め五輪代表選手を発表する。
Losing sight of her characteristics

However, there are also other opinions such as the following, a table tennis watcher points out.

"Back at the Rio Olympics and Tokyo Olympics, Hirano and Hayata, who were in the same grade and good rivals of Ito, were disappointed not to be able to make the team, but they accompanied the team as support members and contributed by playing as practice partners and picking up balls. No matter how much your goal is to win the singles championship, even if you can't compete in the singles, if you say you don't know whether you'll be able to participate even if you're selected for the team event, it's disrespectful to other players and can be seen as selfish. Of course, I understand how determined she was to fight with such feelings, but I feel like this is something that a player should not be allowed to say, which is unfortunate."

In any case, there is no doubt that this is a critical moment for Ito. In any case, why has Japan's ace Ito lost her momentum? A table tennis reporter analyzes as follows.

"Ito's table tennis is not the type where she prolongs rallies and gradually improves them. She is good at playing in rallies as short as possible, as exemplified by her one-hit smash "Mima Punch." After losing to Ishikawa at the Zennihon Takkyu 3 years ago, and losing to China's players after that, she tried to change her game (TL's note: "model change" in the original article) in a direction that would allow her to win in rallies. However, her rallying ability was not that high to begin with. Combined with the fact of being studied by her opponents, she lost sight of the characteristics of her own play style."

Ito or Harimoto

As such, it is very difficult to select the 3rd team member which is by recomendation. One player who has emerged as a strong candidate to replace Ito is Harimoto Miwa, the 15-year-old younger sister of the men's ace Harimoto Tomokazu, who made the leap to become runner-up at the Zennihon Takkyu.

Harimoto has been rapidly gaining strength since the 2nd half of last year and has competed on equal terms with China's top players. She is currently the player that the table tennis kingdom of China is most concerned about. Although she was unable to match Hayata, who has become Japan's undisputed ace, in the Zennihon final, she also defeated Hayata, Ito, and Hirano at last year's Olympic selection trials. By the time the Paris Olympics are held in 6 months, she may have become Japan's ace. That's how stable (TL's note: consistent) and high the potential is. Although "Siblings V" did not take place in Japan this year, it has become a reality for the siblings to represent in the Olympics. On the other hand, some say that Ito should still be selected for the team event. This is due to her track record as Olympic medalists and the fact that her play style, which is not found in other countries, is said to be effective.

Ito or Harimoto? On February 5th, the JTTA will announce the Olympic players, including the 3rd member for the Paris Olympics.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Im really not a hater. I was a fan of his and hoping for his achievements. I was living in Japan when he first brokeout. Every week i watched the endless documentaries and tv specials about his life and training and how he was the "chosen one"

But his performance is not up to his hype. Now im more a fan of his sister.

I will never feel about his sister the same way because she was never overhyped like he was.
Miyazaki: Hold my beer.
Harimoto's dad: Ditto.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-be-revamped-for-paris-2024.24977/post-441799
Miyazaki: I think it's Harimoto Miwa-san
T8t28wm.jpg

Smart
2C2qhak.jpg

Table tennis is about connecting what you're good at with what your opponent is not
UijFPha.jpg

It's like playing shogi on a table tennis table
JQ1RQ1x.jpg

(In terms of shogi world,) I think she is on the level of FUJII Sota
5oLe7c3.jpg

There are no junior high students like that
DaTe65d.jpg

Tactics that are difficult to carry out unless you are a smart player
M8WNubi.jpg

That's amazing
CCypMMn.jpg

Smartness to toy with the opponents (ZYL: I strongly advise against it. See how I ended up.)
b5a1H3L.jpg

There aren't many junior high students who can do that
GYAzSMz.jpg

So smart I want to cut her into slices and take a look
EN5s4CC.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/2024012...ennoh-cup-osaka-11-2526_topic91479_page2.html
Dug up an episode of "Birthday" that aired on 2019/4/7.

Sense of table tennis exceeding that of Tomokazu Harimoto
zHMhhO3.jpg

The father who raised her brother acknowledges that quality
kktAJbz.jpg

Yu Harimoto: Her training quality is higher than Tomokazu's
26YSac3.jpg

Surpassing her great brother
WwNQ4st.jpg

Miwa Harimoto: I will surpass onii-chan and get everyone to call me by my name
c2qX9f5.jpg