Advice on new racket

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Hello everyone,

I am seeking for advice regarding an equipment upgrade. I am currently using the below setup :
- Primorac Japan 91g
- FH : T05 Max
- BH : D05 Max

I am an attacking player and ranked B2/B3 in Lux, which is equivalent to the below in other European countries (from a table I found):
- ENG : 1200-1300
- NED : 1600
- FRA : 1400
- GER : Kreisliga
- BEL : C2

I feel like my current blade is a bit slow and that I could benefit from a faster blade. My balls are often too short on the table and my shots sometimes lack power. I was tempted by the famous Viscaria and all its variants, since it is used by many players of my level and above and I heard good things about it.
I was leaning toward the classic Viscaria and the Fan Zhendong ALC, since from what I understood they tend to be more controlled and softer than the BOLL ALC.

I also have Large hands, and I find my Primorac JP handle to be too thin, I feel like I have to "press" my hand a lot to have a good handling, which always tend to hurt my fingers during long sessions. From my understanding FZD ALC and Viscaria have thicker handle, is that correct and is there any any difference between the two in that regard ?

Overall do you think it would be a good upgrade for me and not too fast considering my level ? (Obviously I know that it will be way different from my Primorac and that I will have to adapt)
Which outer ALC blade from BTY would you recommend me the most ? My current pick is the FZD ALC but it is still a bit unclear what the differences are compared to Viscaria, ZJK ALC or even the Boll ALC. Also I would ask my blade to be 90g to keep the same weight.

Regarding the rubbers, I planned to stick with D05 on BH but I was questioning the Forehand side. I am afraid that with a faster blade T05 would be too bouncy and hard to use in the shorter game, especially for serve return (which is already one my weaknesses at the moment I would say), hence was considering either T05H or D09C. What are your thoughts on it ? Would T05H or D09C help me transitioning to a faster ALC blade or should I stick with the normal T05 I've been using for 3 years now ?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I also have Large hands, and I find my Primorac JP handle to be too thin, I feel like I have to "press" my hand a lot to have a good handling, which always tend to hurt my fingers during long sessions. From my understanding FZD ALC and Viscaria have thicker handle, is that correct and is there any any difference between the two in that regard ?

Viscaria, imo, doesn't have thicker handle. I don't have large hands and Viscaria handle feels comfortable. E.g. the usual Vodak handle is thicker, I sanded mine down. If you search for Viscaria like composition, there is Vodak Vision. I generally prefer inner-carbon though, there are choices as well. I didn't try FZD ALC. Anyway, just want to prevent disappointment from Viscaria handle...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
My son played with Dignics 05 1.9mm on backhand before, but have changed to Joola Dynaryz Inferno 2.0mm since over a year back. He feels that it has better control, superb spin and enough power when needed. Backhand top spins are easier to land on the table as well.

I have another player in my club that have a Timo Boll Spirit and a Fan Zhendong ALC blade and he's a fast two winged looper. The last year he has used Rakza 7, Rakza X, Tenergy 05, DNA Pro M, DNA Platinum M and now in January tried Joola Dynaryz ACC and feel much more control and get more spin than before and has much better feeling in the blocking game as well, landing a lot more balls on the table.

You could check out the Joola rubbers. It might be something for you as well.

Reactions: JfaTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Have you every tried the D05 for FH?
I did but not for a long time and only during training. I would say I didn't really like it, I felt like it lacks dynamism and the low throw angle with no curve was a bit weird for my forehand. This could be linked to my blade being slow and also me not being used to it. And overall I don't see a lot of people using D05 on forehand, it seems to be mostly preferred for BH side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Viscaria, imo, doesn't have thicker handle. I don't have large hands and Viscaria handle feels comfortable. E.g. the usual Vodak handle is thicker, I sanded mine down. If you search for Viscaria like composition, there is Vodak Vision. I generally prefer inner-carbon though, there are choices as well. I didn't try FZD ALC. Anyway, just want to prevent disappointment from Viscaria handle...
I already took a viscaria in my hand and it definitely felt fuller in my palm than my Primorac. Was wondering about the handle differences between Boll ALC, Viscaria and FZD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
You play with T05 and D05 and You don't get enough power 😲
Even with a Primorac You should get more than enough power....

Cheers
L-zr
Your setup is already really fast and fast enough to put good players under pressure. Don't fall for the trap that you need a faster setup. What you need is training to generate power if you find the setup too slow.
I surely can improve my technique, and my current setup is also not bad at all and already fast indeed. I do also perform well with it and getting consistent results with a fast ranking progression at the moment. But since I will have to change my rubbers soon anyway, I was considering a blade upgrade as well, to get the best of my technique and improve my game, and since I'm not fully satisfied with my current Primorac (handle not confortable for my grip, small sweetspot, more on the slower side,..).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Have you every tried the D05 for FH?

I posted that more to get people to comment but....I am not sure about the D05 as BH rubber thing.

Does anyone out there use D05 on FH? How about D09c on BH?

I surely can improve my technique, and my current setup is also not bad at all and already fast indeed. I do also perform well with it and getting consistent results with a fast ranking progression at the moment. But since I will have to change my rubbers soon anyway, I was considering a blade upgrade as well, to get the best of my technique and improve my game, and since I'm not fully satisfied with my current Primorac (handle not confortable for my grip, small sweetspot, more on the slower side,..).

Upgraded blade may be fine for you. May not be. Only way to tell is for people to see you playing.

Any chance you can upload footage of you playing?

FYI: if the handle on your current blade is too thin for you, you can always add a grip like the stuff they put on a tennis racket but for a TT racket on. A lot of people I know with big hands do that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I did but not for a long time and only during training. I would say I didn't really like it, I felt like it lacks dynamism and the low throw angle with no curve was a bit weird for my forehand. This could be linked to my blade being slow and also me not being used to it. And overall I don't see a lot of people using D05 on forehand, it seems to be mostly preferred for BH side.
All such things are personal, to me H3 is a backhand rubber :p.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
- ENG : 1200-1300
- NED : 1600
- FRA : 1400
- GER : Kreisliga
- BEL : C2

Dutch 1600 level; you must be very very good already. I am somewhere around Dutch 1100 range and I have played with Viscaria, but it was too fast for me (I had it paired, with Tenergy's and Dignics). I'm currently trying out Stiga Carbonado 45 (I haven't tried it yet for competition). This is also a fast blade but i like it lot more than Viscaria. I don't dare to pair it with Tenergy rubbers yet (I might try the Glayzer soon though). Carbonado 45 has more woody feel than Viscaria; I think it is has more flex too which helps generate more spin. It has great sweet spot, is head heavier than Viscaria (at least the one that I have seem to suggest). The handle is definitely thinner than Viscaria so, maybe you will not like it (i like it because, my hands are smaller than average male i think), and the flared version of the handle is more curved than Viscaria as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Thanks all for the comments, I think I made my mind on the FZD ALC, it seems to be the most controlled BTY outer ALC with the thickest handle from what I've read.

My only remaining question is on the forehand rubber. I'm hesitating between T05 Hard and regular T05. Would T05H be easier to use and better paired with a FZD ALC or should I stick with T05 ? I do not think considering Dignics on forehand now is a good idea as it would be too much of a change (I've been using regular T05 for more than 3 years now).