This user has no status.
Hey guys I recently played a tournament and lost in the round of 16 using a FZD ALC with T05H FH and D05 BH (I am intermediate level and play mostly powerful FH play but have recently started to be a two-wing looper). I didn’t play all that well and suffered very much with my receives as they bounced up quite high as well as spin reading. I think that my FZD ALC and rubber combo is too fast for my level of play, can anyone recommend some good combinations for an intermediate player where looping is good without sacrificing too much speed and is good at control in short game and less spin sensitive? I was thinking STIGA Clipper Wood with either D80 both sides or Vega X both sides, but would love to hear your guys’ opinions. Thanks!

This user has no status.
I don't think you need to change the entire setup, FZD ALC is fast but not super fast. Maybe hybrid rubbers or tacky rubbers? If you are sticking with Butterfly, perhaps Glayzer 09c is a good candidate.
I like tacky/hybrid rubbers but hate having to take care of them (dust prevention), but I have been thinking about the Glayzer or Rozena series but think that other brands offer better rubbers for same price, any recommendations?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
G09 and Rozena are the obvious choices if you like the feel of BTY sponge, I have this on an ALC blade. Short game will be miles better than your current combo.

Both have been on sale in the US for a while, G09 $48, Rozena $35. Double Rozena would also be fine if you don't like tacky rubbers like G09.

This user has no status.
G09 and Rozena are the obvious choices if you like the feel of BTY sponge, I have this on an ALC blade. Short game will be miles better than your current combo.

Both have been on sale in the US for a while, G09 $48, Rozena $35. Double Rozena would also be fine if you don't like tacky rubbers like G09.
Thanks for the recommendation, i actially have played double rozena before but Dan says that the Glayzer series is better, I am okay with tacky rubber it’s just annoying to take care of them. Would G09C and Glayzer work well, or is double G09C or double Glayzer better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
it’s for sure technique issues if your FH loops go off the table you need to close the racket more (adjust your angle) and in shot go rather forward than up. I have this setup on FH and is really good and not too fast. Of course with good footwork, hip rotation, weight transfer ball flies af 😉Now I’m playing different racket but FZD AlC still have in my bag on the training.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
You could keep your blade and use vega europe or rakza 7. I wouldn't recommend it though. Clipper is a well balanced offensive blade and pairs well with everything.

Keep in mind vega europe is soft and rakza 7 medium. The bounsiness of the blade is also a reason for bad control, it's blazing fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hey guys I recently played a tournament and lost in the round of 16 using a FZD ALC with T05H FH and D05 BH (I am intermediate level and play mostly powerful FH play but have recently started to be a two-wing looper). I didn’t play all that well and suffered very much with my receives as they bounced up quite high as well as spin reading. I think that my FZD ALC and rubber combo is too fast for my level of play, can anyone recommend some good combinations for an intermediate player where looping is good without sacrificing too much speed and is good at control in short game and less spin sensitive? I was thinking STIGA Clipper Wood with either D80 both sides or Vega X both sides, but would love to hear your guys’ opinions. Thanks!
Maybe an inner carbon blade if you are generally good enough to handle carbon?

NDH

says Spin to win!

My advice would differ slightly from some of the others here.

However, as always, I'll caveat this by saying that "intermediate level", as you call yourself is such a broad term when it comes to Table Tennis.

Your "intermediate" could be other peoples "beginner" and others "expert" - Unless we see video, it's hard to advise.

That being said, my gut instinct is to change everything (this is assuming that cost isn't an issue here).

The FZD ALC in my opinion is 100% a very fast blade. Yes there are technically faster blades, but it's essentially a Viscaria/TB ALC and it's darn quick.

Paired with T05H and D05...... it's a crazy fast set up, and you've demonstrated that by saying you hit the ball long a lot of the time.

One of the biggest mistakes intermediate players make is thinking they need to have something that will give them good speed.

Wrong - You need a set up that will allow you to play full strokes and generate maximum spin, whilst being consistent.

I would move down to an All Wood blade (Stiga Clipper is fine, but slower would also be OK).

The rubber question is harder without seeing you play (or your budget).

I actually think D09C is a good option here - But if you wanted something softer, perhaps Rozena would be OK (assuming you want to stick with Butterfly).

Outside of Butterfly, there are a billion different rubbers you could use, but I would stick to the *slow* offensive rubbers - These will build your confidence and win you matches.

It's important to remember that blasting one mega powerful forehand feel great for a very brief period of time - But if you then miss the next 5, it's pointless.

Spin to win - Always and forever......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
My advice would differ slightly from some of the others here.

However, as always, I'll caveat this by saying that "intermediate level", as you call yourself is such a broad term when it comes to Table Tennis.

Your "intermediate" could be other peoples "beginner" and others "expert" - Unless we see video, it's hard to advise.

That being said, my gut instinct is to change everything (this is assuming that cost isn't an issue here).

The FZD ALC in my opinion is 100% a very fast blade. Yes there are technically faster blades, but it's essentially a Viscaria/TB ALC and it's darn quick.

Paired with T05H and D05...... it's a crazy fast set up, and you've demonstrated that by saying you hit the ball long a lot of the time.

One of the biggest mistakes intermediate players make is thinking they need to have something that will give them good speed.

Wrong - You need a set up that will allow you to play full strokes and generate maximum spin, whilst being consistent.

I would move down to an All Wood blade (Stiga Clipper is fine, but slower would also be OK).

The rubber question is harder without seeing you play (or your budget).

I actually think D09C is a good option here - But if you wanted something softer, perhaps Rozena would be OK (assuming you want to stick with Butterfly).

Outside of Butterfly, there are a billion different rubbers you could use, but I would stick to the *slow* offensive rubbers - These will build your confidence and win you matches.

It's important to remember that blasting one mega powerful forehand feel great for a very brief period of time - But if you then miss the next 5, it's pointless.

Spin to win - Always and forever......
I would agree and suggest Nittaku acoustic wood FL to start with
Pair G1 on both or FH and Dig05 BH

it will give full confidence for your strokes, as it has amazing feel.

if you feel speed less, u can also go for T05H which u already hv .

Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Five months ago i switched from a carbon blade to Petr Korbel with T05 FH and T64 BH. It's the best setup i used so far. I know, it's only a 5 ply all wood blade, no cabon or ALC. But it offer tons of control, the short game is easy, and it offer great speed. Feeling is awesome. I don't think i will go back to carbon anytime soon.

You can put your actual rubber on an all wood, put tacky or slow rubbers on your FZD, and see which one you like better, or give you better results.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and find something that better suit our game style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I would try slower rubbers first if possible to see if that helps - something more linear and spin insensitive. could be chinese tacky or the more tamed tensor or butterfly route.

Personally I wouldnt bother with the Glayzer range - i think its expensive for what it is and not that great.

Its always best to change one thing at a time so you can work out the right direction. It certainly seems overall too quick - and I've been there its a hard one to admit after wanting/building a setup you would like that it isn't right.

But rather than starting all over i would either just change the rubbers or the blade first with the same rubbers you have to see where you are at. Changing everything you have no benchmark.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Thanks for the recommendation, i actially have played double rozena before but Dan says that the Glayzer series is better, I am okay with tacky rubber it’s just annoying to take care of them. Would G09C and Glayzer work well, or is double G09C or double Glayzer better
The reviews of Rozena vs Glayzer show a slight difference that is not going to matter much to a player who can't control T05H. Either one will be fine. Don't overthink it.

As far as double G09 goes, just get one sheet and try it both on FH and BH to see if it works for you. I have tried G09 on BH, it plays pretty good.