Search results

  1. Backhand topspin tutorials are useless

    But this is true for forehand as well? No one plays the same forehand stroke all the time either. Even Timo extends slightly more when playing kill shots. There is a coach on the internet who makes youtube shorts whose overall playing level I am suspicious of. But one video he made that I...
  2. Backhand topspin tutorials are useless

    Let me guess, you are a forehand player and your backhand is not so good? I think one feels comfortable with what one understands. There are as many different (and similar) backhands as there are forehands, but if you don't understand the stroke, then you see everything as different or...
  3. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Yes, this is what I mean when I say "engaging the upper arm" - upper arm should hardly move relarive to the core and most of what is happening should be in the lower arm and elbow.. Or engage the upper arm but stop sharply and let the lower arm whip into the ball,not lose the whip mechanics by...
  4. Video Footage Safe Thread

    So now I am at a computer, I can be a bit detailed. Take this in good faith, as I will point out one big thing, might be a bit curmudgeonly about it. The biggest mistake you make is that you engage the upper arm in your serve. So what you do well in some other contexts, you do a bad job of...
  5. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Your elbow is not properly positioned if you want sidespin. Google Brett Clarke pendulum serve. For backspin, you are twisting the racket too much, you can go straight underneath the ball with less curve to get good backspin.
  6. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Forehand is a lot about the legs, you have a good swing, but your foot usage is more backhand oriented as you don't move to set up your forehand and the way you stand at the table supports your backhand. Absolutely nothing wrong with this if this is how you want to play but since it isnt, you...
  7. Does the Dignics09C worth it?

    Rakza Z doesn't have blunt power like 09c, but the spin and control are very, very good. I suspect I might try Rakza Z EH on forehand and Rakza Z on backhand sometime in the future but I am currently okay with Rakza Z both sides.
  8. Receiving Windscreen Wiper Serve Tips

    In general, for sidespin - underspin, a lot of the difficulty is created when you don't contact the same side of the ball as the server did when pushing the ball and lifting upwards. If you start out with adjusting to that, you will have decent results.
  9. Video Footage Safe Thread

    1. Turn the shoulders and likely put some more spring in the legs. Imagine you had to throw a hammer really far or hit a punch really hard. How would you prepare to do it? Not saying one should jump in the air like someone throwing a discuss really far, but that you need to think about what...
  10. Video Footage Safe Thread

    A lot of good stuff, especially your ball touch in there. I was initially going to be a bit harsher but I have to remember, this is a massive improvement from where you were a few months ago. The main things I would continue to work on: 1) read the Der Echte commentary carefully, he is...
  11. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but over time, counterloop is something you practice and do, not so much something you think through. But if you want my opinion: The biggest thing about counterloop IMHO is *time*. You need time to see the ball so you can adequately prepare and follow...
  12. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    Their loss in doubles and the way they accepted it as matter of fact was telling.
  13. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    The Chinese already built it and I remember it being tested at a tournament once in China - it could provide stats like ball spin etc. as well. But after it faulted Ma Long fairly often, it was never heard from again. That's my explanation and I am sticking to it.
  14. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    I think Wang is in very good shape.
  15. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    Battle of the planets live now...
  16. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    You mean you don't notice the big head?
  17. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    This is hilarious. What is really happening is that some people are used to the table and the environment more than others and are taking advantage of it.
  18. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    The Hook makes serve trajectory control by bouncing the ball into the table easier to disguise than just about any other serve, so backspin can look more like topspin and vice versa.
  19. How to play against a long pips blocker as a two-wing looper?

    Learning to play against pips players is an experience. The main thing you have to overcome/improve is the automatic read of the ball off the inverted looking stroke and forcing yourself to override that read with a correct read when the inverted looking read is wrong. Also, to not back off...
  20. WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

    Am I the only one who finds it a bit deflating that after the great WTT Champions Frankfurt, Lin Yun Ju quietly loses to the Chinese #4 in round 1 of this tournament? I know we are used to this, but still... it should put the comments of notorious Harimoto critic, TensorBackhand, in context...
Top