Search results

  1. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    If we are taking these arguments clearly made in jest seriously, the Matsushima losses are all clearly to much older players, it is a bit weird to normalize them with arguments. Matsushima had competed favorably with Lebrun at the U15 level. Of course he might not meet the ridiculous standard...
  2. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    Uda is not the answer either, they just have to un-retire Mizutani and invest in Matsushima.
  3. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It's a standard table tennis tactic, you need to both learn to implement it and defend against it. In fact, when I am clear thinking and down to a lower rated player, it is my first go to, short forehand, long backhand. The second is wide backhand, down the line to forehand or wide forehand...
  4. The best revolutionary strokes recently adopted in the game.

    I can believe these guys knew how to strawberry or would have gotten there regardless. I still find it an open question whether inverted and the extra spin it produced was a net positive for table tennis.
  5. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    Get Mizutani to unretire!
  6. Major League Table Tennis (MLTT)

    At this point, think of it as a business experiment first and foremost and a philanthropic activity secondarily. The person who can answer these questions is Flint Lane. There are many ways to make money doing something if you know the right people and the right laws. Even some of the ITTF...
  7. Advice to improve my game.

    Think about adjusting to sidespin (which involves somewhat the same thing). Look at how it is taught in English and you will see what I mean. For the longest time, I would ask "If I know how to passively return a serve, how does that translate to aggressive spin return?" I never got an answer...
  8. Advice to improve my game.

    That's the concept the use to teach it in English - didn't say they adequately covered the point. I don't think it captures the concept adequately but I'm struggling to remember someone talk about shaping the ball in an English spin tutorial. But I won't pretend to be widely coached, it was...
  9. Advice to improve my game.

    It's usually called "racket angle" or "contact point" in English. Not that I think those ideas get the full concept across, but everyone learns it a bit differently.
  10. Advice to improve my game.

    Not necessarily. It can come with experience of just being told to loop balls with multiple spins and let the student read and adapt to them. Like I said earlier, if you have coached people or have worked with people who learn differently from you, you become more open to figuring out what...
  11. Advice to improve my game.

    Let's not get stuck on language here...
  12. Advice to improve my game.

    That's probably because changing the swing plane doesn't mean spin neutralizing contract to you, but it can to someone else. In general, spin neutralizing contact is built into all table tennis technique, especially with inverted. Good luck to anyone trying to counterloop heavy topspin by...
  13. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I see the alien, you made me see the rackets today lol!
  14. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    I agree, Hayata was a mixed bag in the Asian Cup in 2022, but she was still pretty strong and Batra had the best tournament of her life. I haven't watched the teams match, but Batra must have given a good fight and I suspect the Japanese ordered their lineup to get Hayata to play Batra as they...
  15. Why does Butterfly make sponges in 2.1 and 1.9mm?

    It's a good question, and I think the answer is likely both: there is more rubber in the topsheet and the Japanese are generally concerned with staying within the limit. Even their ESN offerings like Fastarc label 2.0mm as super thick.
  16. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    I was going to bring that up in my response, but honestly, Hayata did not look like Hayata in that event.
  17. 26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

    This is level-relative for long-pips, but it is largely true. The pips player's variation is dependent on the inverted player's production. Otherwise, long-pips players would use pips on both sides - they need one side to be spinnier to be able to force the opponent to produce some of the...
  18. Why does Butterfly make sponges in 2.1 and 1.9mm?

    Overall thickness given the topsheet and then the gluing and potential boosting processes that can push players over the limit. For competition, thickness of the overall setup is what is measured.
  19. Please recommend long pips rubber for me!

    Not sure whether you are going for hitting or disruption. I've been impressed with the people I've played recently using Dawei Saviga V.
  20. Cheap alternative to D05?

    Yeah, destroying the racket is possible, but it is not a common thing. I suspect if you asked that friend whether he had done that to a racket before, he would have said no (he could be lying of course, but I suspect he would be telling the truth). Dinging a racket is usually far more common...
Top