Search results

  1. Playing against chaotic players

    A lot of stuff depends on your playing level and ball quality (spin, speed, power, location/placement, deception). There was a time such players used to give me fits. Now, I can sometimes serve to them a whole game and they won't return one serve. Or they can return some but they will be...
  2. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    You know you were my inspiration lol!
  3. Major League TT

    The draft is more ceremonial than objective. Seeing Kou Lei picked in the second round convinced me of that. Just think of it as a made for TV spectacle, something other than how you usually think of as a draft actually created the teams.
  4. I wanna play with the big boys!

    I didnt give the burden of judgment to the LP players because like lefties, the lp players are the minority so they don't have to adjust to the majority the same way the majority has to adjust to the minority. How does that support your argument again? And since their effectiveness is entirely...
  5. I wanna play with the big boys!

    No, my logic isn't, and no your conclusion gives too much credit to players who are adapting to players they play repeatedly and not going out of their way to compete and challenge themselves. I have seen many 1200 players beat pips players of equivalent level. If the return was as devastating...
  6. I wanna play with the big boys!

    The difficulty of the chiquita is built into the level, risk and reward. The most effective short serve returners are not pips players, maybe in your world they are, but in reality, none of the pips players are considered threatening because of their pips. You can put the ball on the table...
  7. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Yes, but you also have to balance that with how likely the return is to win the point when it lands. Since you went there, finish the analysis. Anyone who lives in a world where Lp returns serves 100% of the time is playing at a really low level.
  8. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So we played the African TT Dallas league today with 7 players. The one player who would have been clear favorite was out of the country (not that he is unbeatable strictly speaking but I haven't beaten him yet and he would have been seeded #1 by rating). As organizer and top seed, I got a...
  9. I wanna play with the big boys!

    So the supposed stability of the receive makes it more devastating? It's almost like you believe your arguments to the point you really believe a long pips return puts more pressure on a server than a Chiquita.
  10. I wanna play with the big boys!

    You seem to think most skill is athletic. Do you really believe a long pips push is more devastating than a banana flick or a short push?
  11. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Maybe you have this perspective because of who you play with but that is not my perspective at all. LPs cant produce much variation on serve return and if you lock into the ball, you can attack it almost every time. Of course the inordinate amount of practice against inverted makes this feel...
  12. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Not at the initial stages (long pips won't work on a beginner), but at the stage when you start finding the spin on the ball that inverted produces to be an expectation and your spin to be significant. This usually begins at somewhere around the level Gozo is, which is why learning to play...
  13. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Blade is also too slow, you need a Fan Zhendong Super ALC or Super ZLC to enter the conversation.
  14. I wanna play with the big boys!

    It's no more difficult than getting better at playing good inverted players.
  15. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Not at the "initial stages" but at the lower intermediate levels. But that is because everyone usually tries to use inverted conventionally. I know because when I didn't, I used to cause my fair share of trouble to players as well. Like I said, the pips are just the convenient excuse ball...
  16. I wanna play with the big boys!

    If you practice and play against pips players, you will change your mind about this. But you are currently at a stage of this issue which many players do not progress beyond, often not because they cannot, but because they do not want to. It would have been interesting to watch the match, but...
  17. I wanna play with the big boys!

    All of these things are true but level relative. If she was a higher level player than Gozo, then the pips were just the convenient explanation for how he felt. But if she was a lower level player or the same level, the issue is that Gozo just needed to adopting a mindset where he stopped...
  18. I wanna play with the big boys!

    actually I would argue you can serve off and power loop through these players if their level is lower than yours. But you have experience from eras where spin was a bigger factor than it is today, so you are probably used to just reading thr ball, rallying with them and comfortably getting...
  19. I wanna play with the big boys!

    So on Friday, I saw a guy who I have played a few times in practice and who has a good up and coming game about to play an older lefty long pips player I had played before. I expected the guy to lose badly and I watched the first game and he did the typical thing of acting like long pips are...
  20. Post your latest EJ purchase

    Here is the weapon!
Top