Search results

  1. I wanna play with the big boys!

    This is becoming like ERT calling Idesawa an amateur - immediately we don't know someone's TT background or hours of play, we call them an "amateur" or a "nobody". Of course, despite He Zhuoja being a national team member, we are completely sure that these guys are mainly doing what they do...
  2. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    If you are being caught with balls directly to your middle, then you are probably serving/looping to easy points on the table and not using sidespin to your advantage. It is extremely hard for a good sidespin serve (whether side or side back) to be returned with precision to your middle, same...
  3. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I have been a fan of that series for a while. It has been a struggle to find the playlist for the videos so I appreciate that link.
  4. Fast blade

    Butterfly Sardius as well.
  5. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Yes. Everything has its time and place. If your point is that OP needs to play third ball against any return from his coach without knowing the return and that is the irregular drill, I agree with you. The push or flick or loop can go anywhere and OP has to play the point out. But usually...
  6. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Playing significantly better players is never a good say to gauge improvement. Some of them are working on improving too. You need better targeted goals. And to be honest, irregular drills are largely a waste of time too, you need to do things that improve your play within the structure of...
  7. I wanna play with the big boys!

    That is what it mesns to produce a dead ball. Don't generate spin of your own, mostly reflect the incoming spin and usually, pips you can hit with kill the spin on the ball. So it largely produces a dead ball. Sure you can chop with long pips but you aren't going to get much spin unlike doing...
  8. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Long pips create deadvalls, otherwise most players would not use inverted on the other side. They can produce other spins largely in response to incoming spin but their primary effect is to add or subtract slightly from the incoming spin. They don't generate spin like inverted does, they...
  9. I wanna play with the big boys!

    The thing is that players who say this never want to switch to pips. The main thing that makes pips hard to play against is their ability to produce a dead ball in rallies and that most people who enjoy playing high spin table tennis don't want to read and hit the dead ball. But hitting the...
  10. I wanna play with the big boys!

    The advantages long pips offer require a lot of practice to make work, especially for someone who is in tune with inverted timing. Consistently hitting heavy spin balls is a difficult skill. Looping is definitely a more physically taxing skill in terms of pure athleticism, but hitting balls...
  11. Stiga Cybershape, is it good?

    Cybershape Carbon is based on the Stiga Inspira CCF. Unless you have used an Inspira (and I haven't), it is hard to tell what the CC brings that is special vs the Inspira CCF (some in my club have said that they prefer the Inspira in casual conversation but no one uses it regularly). I play...
  12. I wanna play with the big boys!

    On the topic of serve return: People underestimate how bad their return is when they know what is on the ball. I sometimes make a terrible hash of sidespin when I know it is sidespin, especially to the short forehand. And I have pushed heavy backspin into the net even when I know it is heavy...
  13. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Its clear that TB has what it takes to beat pips players, he just doesn't want the hassles.
  14. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Lots of things to work on but it will be interesting. I got to use the rental car to apply heat to my lower back after playing I might do that on a regular basis if I feel good over the next few days. Any tips are welcome. I struggled to return serve obviously but that will require me to go...
  15. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Got late to CCTTA. They were kind enough to waive the fee. I got to practice a bit and then played some matches with a guy I met on YouTube who posts a lot of TT videos. When he posts our matches I will share links. Got killed pretty much, he is around 2200 so it was hard to survive...
  16. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Damien Provost says that you need relaxed shoulders to return serves. Not the same as the tight grips that govern rallies.
  17. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Reading spin is something that gets better as you play more and learn to serve better, you even get better in matches but the problem is that you need the right strokes as well. And sometimes even a decent return still gets attacked powerfully so you are back to square one . But take comfort...
  18. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    I think Federer's problems in the GOAT argument are significant - Djokovic and Nadal have serious head to head advantages and also more slams and also more broad to head victories at critical moments. I don't understand the robotic comment as much as I understand that Fed can have a pretty...
  19. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    Yes, my point is that people who use statistics (and as someone whose jobs are primarily actuarial and analytic, I can discuss this intelligently) are limited in their ability to handle changes in environment. Does a statistician know that Seles got stabbed? Can a statistician adjust for the...
  20. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    The depth argument is reasonable but the issue that had made it easier for Novak, Roger and Rafa and to a lesser degree Murray to coexist is the equipment changes that have brought in Luxillon strings, the standardization of bounces across many different surfaces, especially the changes to...
Top