Search results

  1. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It's embarrassing to say this but out of nowhere while messing around, I realized I hold the Cybershape way too strongly when I block and when I return serve. I realized for some reason that it helps me with aggressive serve return on some shots, but in general it is something I need to keep...
  2. Advice to improve my game.

    You can swing *forwards* and *upwards* and get good spin, don't think of it as an either-or proposition, though if you practice controlling the quality of the ball, you should be able to create a variety of swings that you can use to give the ball different effects in response to incoming balls...
  3. Nittaku Fastarc Series

    Actually, they are very close to being the same topsheet. The sponge is not softer, but there is no reason to believe the MX-P topsheet might not feel that way to someone, especially if the MX-P is fresh and boosted. But as you point out, such subjective tests are not precise measures of anything.
  4. Chinese National Team Warm Up Matches for Asian Championship

    Not just a WTTC semi-finalist, but a *3-time* WTTC semi-finalist, making him easily one of the greatest players in TT history to never win the WTTC singles. Honestly, the first team tried as hard as they reasonably could, they just faced good opposition and I feel Wang Chuqin struggled to get...
  5. I wanna play with the big boys!

    I had similar experiences even when I knew how to play pips (somewhat). I was maybe around 1700, and I would play someone who came off the street with his dead racket, and because I was so used to hitting topspin and blocking, I would struggle a lot against such players in rallies, didn't know...
  6. Chinese National Team Warm Up Matches for Asian Championship

    Wang Chuqin was a letdown, but these are pretty high level opponents.
  7. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Yes, you are right, a 1500-1700 rating in Belgium may be the same *level* as a 2000-2200 level in the USA. But that says nothing about whether players are stronger in the USA or in Belgium, because the same percentage of players may be at the 1500-1700 level in Belgium as the 2000-2200 level in...
  8. Post your latest EJ purchase

    Finally put in for a Mizutani SZLC... will post the pics when it arrives...
  9. I wanna play with the big boys!

    It is the same with German TTR - USATT is usually TTR+ 300/400. In Ukraine you can get players with around Ukrainian rating 60 which is like 2400-2500. But if you go to Canada, there are players with 3000+ rating who would be around 2500 in the USA. In the end, you need to understand how the...
  10. I wanna play with the big boys!

    For people who have never seen Rich play, this is with the old ball... not his prime but typical.
  11. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Ratings are usually normalized, so you have to know how to translate the playing level, so the absolute number doesnt matter as long as the scale is being normalized. So even if you think that Belgium has a higher playing level, looking at numbers like the rating without translating is like...
  12. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Chen Weixeng is an over the hill 45+ year old (not sure when the match was played). Same with He Zhi Wen. Dima was world #1. Maybe you should consider that in your analysis (but I get it, pro is pro and rank amateur is rank amateur). But all we hear is about the long pips... and still...
  13. I wanna play with the big boys!

    But he is a "rank amateur" - your not knowing similar things about other people and focusing on their use of LP makes my point. You have no clue what their background is, but just want to focus on their amateur status.
  14. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Yes, definitely not the same, without those things, it is one of the most popular sports in the world. Food for thought.
  15. I wanna play with the big boys!

    For the record, here is another Chinese "rank amateur".
  16. I wanna play with the big boys!

    It is all because of the long pips!
  17. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Hardbat is a sport that when you play it, long pips has hardly any advantage when introduced into the mix of hardbat. A lot of people enjoy hard bat table tennis. There is definitely spin, it just isn't extreme. Give that some thought.
  18. I wanna play with the big boys!

    It has very little to do with LP per se, and like I said, you never stated what his training hours were or what his tournament victories were. Similar things happen in sports like golf, chess etc. all the time - there are players who play lot of hours but never were professionals for one reason...
  19. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Wait, you mean those 2600+ players supposedly struggling with LP are not making blahness's points? I thought the limit was 2200.... So you mean Chen Weixing and He Zhiwen are not 2200+ players? And Chen doesn't use LP himself? More seriously, everyone struggles with things they haven't...
  20. I wanna play with the big boys!

    Wang Xi losing to a Nigerian amateur :D.
Top