Search results

  1. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    My point is that your attitude makes it sound like I think I know everything and therefore you need to pretend to do so to compete and now I have pointed out explicitly how such an attitude is making you say things that you really don't need to. In any case, all is well. My playing level is...
  2. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    The point is not that we know how the youngest tour event winner, WJTTC champ and WTTC quarter finalist will turn out. The point is that his achievements and results speak for themselves. And that he has qualified for his status and that he wins matches. Technique is not going to keep you off...
  3. Tactics

    I actually took the USATT club umpire exam. I passed but some of the questions I got wrong were related to Paralympic play. It is hard to be intuitive about what one doesn't regularly experience.
  4. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    My biggest mentor as a coach (and a good friend) told me that good coaches disagree all the time. Everyone knows the fundamentals but there are opinions as well. Pretending to know everything just ends up making you look like an idiot over time. My solution is simple - everyone knows my...
  5. Tactics

    Makes sense. I have a lot to learn about the rules for disabled play.
  6. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    Yeah I have heard such things before and the CNT was not going to accept Deng Yaping either but look at how that turned out. The bottom line is that if a player is beating everyone, he or she is beating everyone. There may be things you will not accept but you can't argue with results. When...
  7. Tactics

    I don't believe the rules allow you to serve short to a disabled player.
  8. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    He had his forehand issues before he got on the JNT and I have explained that it is not clearly a decision because while the stroke uses too much arm, it protects your back. You get on national teams because of your results not because of your technique. The coaches will fix technique if you...
  9. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    He already said that Harimoto was a JNT product and then said that Harimoto doesn't have a JNT forehand. That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is saying but he can drop the pretentiousness whenever he wants to.
  10. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    I agree with all of this, but you miss the point that the back has to be used to hit the ball if you want to loop and fix your elbow. He has too much arm because he is trying to avoid using his back.
  11. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    It is an attempt to protect the lower back and use the legs more. I don't think it is viable but we will see.
  12. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    Most of his coaching has come from his parents who are Chinese so your logic is weird. I suspect Harimoto's forehand has a different purpose from what most forehands do which is why it doesn't get the job done. Whether it will work out is an open question for me, but I can see why people...
  13. Tactics

    So if I am weak at returning short topspin serves, you wouldn't serve short topspin serves because there is a better way to win? You would prefer to serve long topspin and get into a beautiful rally? My point is that proper table tennis is just proper table tennis and people should be careful...
  14. Tactics

    So the reason I answered the question the way I did is because I have a running debate with a national level coach on the benefits and costs of tactical play, where we agree that playing to the weaknesses of an opponent can cap your game if they are not done using a style that accounts for the...
  15. Tactics

    Yes, but of course, this is context dependent. Even top players don't always open up against defenders, for example. You have to fear the opponent's attack to be forced to open as easy as possible. With the plastic ball, countering and rallying is easier because spin is not as overwhelming...
  16. Tactics

    Is pushing short playing negatively? What would you consider playing negatively?
  17. Chiquita-What Happened?

    Exactly - I have told people many times that the chiquita is now easier to execute, but it is also now easier to counter. Well, unless you are Lin Yun Ju...
  18. Tactics

    Both are equally important to practice, but the truth is that they are all only relevant in the context of ball quality and when they occur in a point sequence. If you are at a certain level, it is more important to continue to work on bringing all the shots in your game to a competent level...
  19. T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

    Actually, he would be higher ranked in the old system because the strength of who he had beaten (plenty of CNT members, Dima multiple times) would be driving his ranking, not where he has placed in events.
  20. Stiga Mantra - possibly the best priced tensor

    I usually call them "speed glue effect rubbers" and I get the whole debate and believe the rudeness drove it.
Top