Search results

  1. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    I think it is best to balance out arguments rather than to make them in one-sided fashion. I think it is hard to make a statistical case against Ma Long being the greatest player of all time. Borderline impossible. But when you look at the quality of the competition he face on the way to his...
  2. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    So let's get this straight - journalists and statisticians have little respect and sportsmanship an I supposedly do because I can say that in my view that the players right now as not as great as prior players? Not sure why you need to personalize this issue but it is your prerogative. The...
  3. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    I agree with RidTheKid that you can't blame Ma Long for being healthier than his teammates, but I agree that we don't seem to have players of the quality of Zhang Jike and Wang Hao out there right now, other than Ma Long and Fan Zhendong. I still think Fan Zhendong and Harimoto have a lot to...
  4. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    I am not sure why you find it offensive. One of the discussions that surrounds the greatness of a player is the quality of the competition he faced. Look at tennis for example. The way you know players are great is that they are consistently performing well in multiple events. Federer...
  5. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    Fan Zhendong is matching up better to be honest. The other CNT teammates lack the right level of experience other than XX, who lacks the balance.
  6. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    Going strictly by modern numbers, there is no doubt that Ma Long wins. The sticking points are the changes in equipment, especially the change to the plastic ball and the banning of speed glue, and the other changes through the eras. I also never saw Guo Yenhua play ;). But seriously it is not...
  7. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    To summarise, for optimal control and minimal training, flexy blades with thinner sponge. For max power and maximal training: Stiff blades with thicker sponge.
  8. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Since I have enabled EJs to invade the thread, here is an EJ technical must (hat tip to ttmonster): https://butterflyonline.com/ask-the-experts-stefan-feth-no-193/amp/
  9. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Take my limiter limited opinion for what it is worth. The biggest benefit of softer sponge for me is the weight savings. For a head heavy blade like Korbel.and since I can use my body consistently, I would be forced to go slower if I didn't have a rubber like C-1. I also think thickness and...
  10. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    Sure. We all have our views. Recency bias is also a big deal as well as downplaying the issues that were rife in prior times. I agree Ma Long is the greatest player but I defer to the experts who have seen such things more closely as well as broader statistics. And I think Ma Long's choking...
  11. Is ma long the GOAT ?

    You do realize that Waldner was in his early 30s when those.guys were getting good?
  12. Spin is better than Speed - I am a believer now.

    No one cares about the kicking effect per se. What people care about is that all of a sudden, they need to play more shots to win a point. And they need to put in much more effort to get people to block their topspins long.
  13. Spin is better than Speed - I am a believer now.

    For the Nittaku Premium ball, it is a reasonable conclusion.
  14. Spin is better than Speed - I am a believer now.

    The Nittaku premium ball might be a smaller 40+ ball but it is still a 40+ ball. I think the article didn't really investigate what people really complain about.
  15. Spin is better than Speed - I am a believer now.

    People aren't really talking about spin, they are talking about spin effect. And I think there are things that celluloid balls did when they contacted the racket with spin, either because of size or material deformation, that plastic balls don't do and that is what people interpret as having...
  16. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It was a tough day - went to the tournament at a club about an hour away and played only one event. Just like last time, I lost to an underrated B player. Unlike last time, I was up 2-1, 10-8 and 2-2, 10-6. Lost 15-17 in the fifth. Then I advance to the round of 16 and I play a guy, penholder...
  17. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I have finally accepted who I am. I am one of those players who likes blades that vibrate. Under 6mm in thickness, no need for carbon or arylate to reduce the vibration or enhance the speed. Going to end up getting embarrassed by the younger and faster players but that is entirely okay...
  18. World Table Tennis Championships 2019

    The big money is for 2020 and he accelerated the time table with his growth. There is likely no other way to do this but focus on 2020.
  19. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Those drop shots are tempting Boogar but they are bad habits and will get you into trouble since you take the ball high and the ball bounces high and slow for the opponent. Quick opponents will get there in time to punish you. Just keep.it in mind. Better to keep smashing and moving your feet...
  20. World Table Tennis Championships 2019

    Ma Long is a shake hand enhanced version of Ma Lin with most of the advantages and few of the disadvantages.
Top