All about dwell time, maybe, but only if there are enough people interested.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
All you ass holes can remain ignorant. All you have tried to do is de-rail the thread. You don't ask or contribute, you just say I am wrong without pointing out why.
Can you see why I think you all are are idiots?
Really your TT ability plus $1.50 may buy you a cup of coffee. I have something that is worth a lot, knowledge. I get out of TT what I need which is exercise.

Lets see how well and for how long you can play when you are over 60 if you make it that far.

All of you go back to discussing what kind of rubber or blade someone should buy.
I am done with this thread. There is too much noise to make it worth continuing. Maybe Grandpa will set you all straight but I doubt it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
All you ass holes can remain ignorant. All you have tried to do is de-rail the thread. You don't ask or contribute, you just say I am wrong without pointing out why.
Can you see why I think you all are are idiots?
Really your TT ability plus $1.50 may buy you a cup of coffee. I have something that is worth a lot, knowledge. I get out of TT what I need which is exercise.

Lets see how well and for how long you can play when you are over 60 if you make it that far.

All of you go back to discussing what kind of rubber or blade someone should buy.
I am done with this thread. There is too much noise to make it worth continuing. Maybe Grandpa will set you all straight but I doubt it.

Actually i dont disagree. u are stating out the obvious. well done sherlock. the whole dwell time analysis literally blew my mind

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In particular, there was nothing in his posts in this particular thread that justified the response from Carl I referred to above.

You are a very nice guy, vvk1, but in the famous words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious!

As in, what threads have you ever seen OP post related to physics that don't end up like this on every forum he has ever joined? And you want pretend that this one was intended to be any different?

It's just a different kind of trolling.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are a very nice guy, vvk1, but in the famous words of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious!

As in, what threads have you ever seen OP post related to physics that don't end up like this on every forum he has ever joined? And you want pretend that this one was intended to be any different?

I don't know. Maybe there really was no reason for this post right at the beginning of the thread:

This thread could be interesting, but all I see here is name calling and insecurity.

I could make this interesting by commenting on the terribly dualistic, western idea of "right and wrong" and "only one optimal solution" and why it's faulty in the real world, but that'd be even more off topic. :rolleyes:

:) Well, when I saw the first few comments in the thread I did think, "Oh, no, here we go again." And decided to just turn it into a joke and try and make people laugh while warning newer members that there is really no arguing with the OP. And I am guessing he still can't understand how Der_Echte's posts on hand pressure actually do have something to do with the subject of dwell time and so do different kinds of wood used in blades.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Having the word "assholes" in your post explaining why you're doing right and we're doing wrong is not very convincing.

I don't even understand why it has to be about who is right and who is wrong, when an off-topic but more interesting discussion on grip pressure was possible to be continued. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
Can someone explain it in simpler terms haha :D

pnacht was about to tell all of us that we have no idea what dwell time actually is and he was about to reveal the scientific truth to us... but when people started making fun of him instead of trembling in anticipation he got pissed and called everyone an asshole.

it's a shame, i am actually interested in his take on things for better or for worse. carl i think your post was uncalled for and that's coming from someone who knows what pnacht is like.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
pnacht was about to tell all of us that we have no idea what dwell time actually is and he was about to reveal the scientific truth to us... but when people started making fun of him instead of trembling in anticipation he got pissed and called everyone an asshole.

it's a shame, i am actually interested in his take on things for better or for worse. carl i think your post was uncalled for and that's coming from someone who knows what pnacht is like.

I am not so sure:

How does one argue with that? ...

You have wasted my time and bandwidth. I should have added to the title to this thread to "and they aren't idiots"

Be smart guys and back up you claims with facts. Grandpa is at least trying.

I got zero problem with Pnchy trying to explain the different aspects of impact dynamics.

....This is derailing the thread.

If 16 years old could understand then why hasn't this issue been resolved long ago? From above it is obvious there are some concept you don't understand.

USDC, you post is off topic and adds nothing to the debate.

To me it looks like he was more interested in arguing and more annoyed at the hand pressure stuff as derailing the thread. He left one small comment on my silly post and truthfully, that may have been all it was worth.

I know, my joking around was not nice. I am sorry if I insulted Pnachtwey. I do think I already explained that. But, I actually think, if you read the whole thread, Pnachtwey had something else going on that caused him to start this thread, argue with Grandpa and then claim Grandpa was the only person on here that was at least trying. And the stuff he had said to Grandpa wasn't that nice even though Grandpa didn't need anyone to help him out.

So, if you read the thread, I think Pnachtwey was already on his way to the post where he called everyone assholes. And he certainly was trying to decide what subjects were and were not allowed on his thread.

But if Pnachtwey comes on here and gets angry at me, I am okay with it. Even if I was joking around, what I said wasn't so nice. So, sorry if I offended anyone. But, I really don't think that is what caused Pnachtwey's meltdown.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I just seem to have an intuitive grasp of how things work. Not just in TT but in industry. I have made a lot of money there. I realize that not everyone can grasp what is obvious to me but those that disagree should do some studying first.

It really would be best if you looked up who I am before calling me a smartass. A lot of people have paid me a lot of money for my "smartass" calculations in all sorts of industries and fields. This makes you look pretty stupid for not doing some research before being so critical.

Translation - don't you know who I am? Also, I am rich and always right.

Nope - we don't know, since you don't sign with your real identity. Doing some googling, some boy diver from Ohio and CFO of Legg Mason show up a lot, but that's not you, I presume. I think in the end it's possible to deduce that you are a president of Delta Computer Systems, but is that supposed to end all discussion on the subject?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Pretty much every single one on the following list from the earliest up until the "TT-Myth-Busters" thread:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=2066053

The "TT Myth Busters" thread was a pretty civilized discussion until someone had to bring their feud with the OP over to this forum:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...T-Myth-Busters&p=113404&viewfull=1#post113404

And then followed it up with this (read the first sentence of the second paragraph):
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...T-Myth-Busters&p=113426&viewfull=1#post113426

And then it went downhill.

Again, I am fully aware of the history and the associated name calling on mytt, so the above was not a surprise at all.

However, the OP joined this forum and all he did was try to discuss the physics of TT using - well, lets call it, the language of science. There were plenty of people on this forum who were willing to continue these discussions in a reasonable fashion. And they did continue in a reasonable fashion without any name calling for a while (until an anonymous post on mytt expressed outrage at OP's posts on this forum).

What I am against is rubbishing everything a person says just because they are not as good a player as someone else is, and thus provoking them.

Just imagine if Dan or one of the verified pros on this forums made comments on this forum that began with "the real problem with vvk'1 review of H8 is that he does not play at a high enough level" ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Having the word "assholes" in your post explaining why you're doing right and we're doing wrong is not very convincing.

I don't even understand why it has to be about who is right and who is wrong, when an off-topic but more interesting discussion on grip pressure was possible to be continued. :rolleyes:

I don't think grip pressure was even off-topic: I believe an argument was being made that this is something that impacts dwell time and skilled players use it to manipulate spin/speed. Sounds relevant to me, we'll see where it goes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Pretty much every single one on the following list from the earliest up until the "TT-Myth-Busters" thread:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=2066053

The "TT Myth Busters" thread was a pretty civilized discussion until someone had to bring their feud with the OP over to this forum:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...T-Myth-Busters&p=113404&viewfull=1#post113404

And then followed it up with this (read the first sentence of the second paragraph):
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...T-Myth-Busters&p=113426&viewfull=1#post113426

And then it went downhill.

Again, I am fully aware of the history and the associated name calling on mytt, so the above was not a surprise at all.

However, the OP joined this forum and all he did was try to discuss the physics of TT using - well, lets call it, the language of science. There were plenty of people on this forum who were willing to continue these discussions in a reasonable fashion. And they did continue in a reasonable fashion without any name calling for a while (until an anonymous post on mytt expressed outrage at OP's posts on this forum).

What I am against is rubbishing everything a person says just because they are not as good a player as someone else is, and thus provoking them.

Just imagine if Dan or one of the verified pros on this forums made comments on this forum that began with "the real problem with vvk'1 review of H8 is that he does not play at a high enough level" ...

Pnatchwey made this comment on the very first page of the civilized thread you referenced - there are other comments but I think this makes the point:

"This forum seems to be smarter than the other ones."

But in your view, the discussion is civilized just because you think it is.

There was an increasing level of "civilized" frustration from people who did not understand why Pnatchwey did not see TT the way they did. And the only way to show them that was to show them the kind of player who they were arguing with. I remember reading a Pnatchwey post on Mytt and thinking Pnatchwey understood what he was talking about. But then I couldn't apply it in my actual matches and I figured out something was wrong. It was when I had a better idea why it was wrong that I started realizing that it was important to know the level of player one was listening to when people were making certain comments. The issue I believe was the importance of follow through in TT. Follow through is not only about recovery, it is also about swing trajectory. But Pnatchwey argued quite logically and coherently that all that mattered was what happened at the point of contact - yes, but what happens at the point of contact is influenced by what happens before and after the point of contact.

My position is always the same - comments made about equipment etc. should always be placed in the context of the experience of the person speaking about them. I have made similar criticisms of many people including friends and if I knew you better, I would say the same about you. Some people don't agree and that is fine. But others do. I remember when a player reviewed a rubber on Mytt and attached video. People immediately discounted his comments because he didn't have a real forehand and they couldn't appreciate what the rubber could do looking at his forehand. I thought his forehand then was fine with my limited understanding of TT. But now I have a much better understanding of why they discounted his comments.

So I am not so much into "rubbishing" as I am into context. I have no problem with someone looking at my game and going "he is a low level player, he has limited understanding of the sport." It happens more often than I would care to admit - my strokes are often arm strokes, my forehand is flawed and often too large, and I can't bend my knees. What I have experience with is largely managing the experiences and expectations of adult players who put significant time into the sport and wonder why they don't get better rapidly. And that's because I went through that process.

If more people put video of themselves or of their students next to their comments, or even placed their USATT rating on their posts, they would be far more humble. And what often happens on the internet is that the person with good gift of gab ends to prevail not the person with actual insight or knowledge. All I am doing is using one method out of many to force people to demonstrate expertise. Because as an improving adult, I thought people like Pnatchwey were better players than I was when I initially saw them post. And I thought I could learn something from them. And I found I can learn something from everyone. Unfortunately, it's not always what I thought I should have learned.

Going forward, just as I have gotten better at ignoring Pnatchwey, I guess Carl under your influence will get better at it too. And you can then enjoy his discussions. But as long as people know that video is out there showing people the level of TT expertise that his purported understanding of physics will get you, then they can then understand whether it is worth their time to listen to this stuff if getting better at TT is their priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
"This forum seems to be smarter than the other ones."
I was wrong. My first impressions were very wrong.

You really are better off ignoring me or not commenting. I will never let you forget your stupid comment about not knowing anything about tension. You still haven't told us what keeps a rubber in tension. Neither have any of the other so self proclaimed good TT players.

Everyone, go back a read the thread. I can see that only izra seems to be interested knowing the details about dwell time. At least Grandpa thought he was contributing. The rest of you are just noise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I am done with this thread.

I guess this was a lie... Don't let your anger issues cause you to keep attacking people.

Ok, we can agree that public opinion is often wrong. It's debatebly easy to sway crowds. As they say, a person is smart, people are stupid. Mob mentality. Etc.
That being said, it's also not rational to hold onto an opinion and push for it if the rest of the world thinks it's wrong. Now, reality is reality. The sky's blue (usually). You drop a ball, it will fall to the ground. But it gets harder to identify fact from fiction when the issues get more complex, and I just want to know, is there any good, general techniques to ensure that, even if everyone in the room is telling you that you're wrong, you can be assured you're right? Simply having an unpopular opinion doesn't make it incorrect.

Pnachtwey, hold onto your beliefs with confidence when you know you're right. But please don't push them on others and then attack them for disagreeing with you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I guess this was a lie... Don't let your anger issues cause you to keep attacking people.

Ok, we can agree that public opinion is often wrong. It's debatebly easy to sway crowds. As they say, a person is smart, people are stupid. Mob mentality. Etc.
That being said, it's also not rational to hold onto an opinion and push for it if the rest of the world thinks it's wrong. Now, reality is reality. The sky's blue (usually). You drop a ball, it will fall to the ground. But it gets harder to identify fact from fiction when the issues get more complex, and I just want to know, is there any good, general techniques to ensure that, even if everyone in the room is telling you that you're wrong, you can be assured you're right? Simply having an unpopular opinion doesn't make it incorrect.

Pnachtwey, hold onto your beliefs with confidence when you know you're right. But please don't push them on others and then attack them for disagreeing with you.

On the internet, people don't demonstrate, they debate. When you ask for demonstration, you get more debate. That's when a smart man like yourself realizes that it is more about intimidation and persuasion, and less about truth and verification.

You really are better off ignoring me or not commenting. I will never let you forget your stupid comment about not knowing anything about tension. You still haven't told us what keeps a rubber in tension. Neither have any of the other so self proclaimed good TT players.

Everyone, go back a read the thread. I can see that only izra seems to be interested knowing the details about dwell time. At least Grandpa thought he was contributing. The rest of you are just noise.

I bowed out of this conversation some time ago but you continue to rubbish my contribution. I will make very clear my case and then I will leave again, because it would be foolish to maintain an argument with a fool, but I feel compelled to make a comment against your insults.

1) Do not listen to this guy. He is presenting you with nonsense physics and using some credentials to make them seem valid. He claims to know what he is talking about, but in fact does not. I will expand on this in a moment.
2) I also found Carl's posting of his playing ability to be in bad taste, though I agree about the point that playing ability is of importance. There are physical scenarios that only better players find themselves in, like making contact at certain angles and certain speeds and in certain body positions, and they're also generally more attentive to the play and what they're doing. However, Carl has thoroughly apologised for a small incident. Where is our friend's apology for his far more brutish and inexcusable behaviour?
3) If you want to figure out a few things about what's going on behind dwell time, I have a potential framework/model in mind with which to try and work through the problem, but this forum isn't the place for that kind of thing. If anyone is interested in trying some experiments (only school level background in science and interest is necessary) send me a PM. Could be a fun project. I have acces to all the lab equipment that we may need.
4) I agree with the comments that the details of the physics are of little use to a player, of any level, as far as improving their game goes. Subjective ideas along the lines of "touch" and grip pressure are of more value to anyone looking to improve their game.
5) If we want to crunch numbers and be able to describe the significant aspects contributing towards dwell time, the situation is somewhat complex and I suspect it is quite dependent on the nature of the rubber. We would probably have to produce a number of categories which have differing results. Things like tacky and not tacky; porous and not, and how each of these categories responds to various speeds and spins of incoming balls. For sure, using equilibrium ideas and equations you could find in the first chapter of an introductory mechanics textbook (as our friend has been using) will not solve the problem.

Our friend said "The force of acceleration is only the force due to gravity in my example above. The upwards force is due to the rubber pushing up. Since they are equal the ball stays on the rubber. In all cases the force of the rubber on the ball must be roughly equal to the force of acceleration if the ball is going to stay in contact with the rubber"

Let's take the simple case where a ball with no spin is coming towards the bat face in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the face. When a ball is incoming with speed towards a rubber, it makes contact at speed, starts deforming the rubber and burying itself into it, all the while coming to a gradual stop on the surface of the rubber, and then accelerating roughly back the direction it came in and leaving with a speed not more than the incoming speed for a stationary bat, or with a speed higher than this minimal case of a stationary bat if the player moves the bat towards the ball at impact.
This process of the ball coming in with speed, losing speed, coming to a stop, then accelerating away from the bat, implies a net force on the ball, else its velocity relative to the bat would not change. From the moment the ball contacts the rubber surface to when it leaves the surface, the ball and rubber are in contact, and yet there is no equality between the force of the ball on the bat, and the bat on the ball. This is in direct opposition to our friend's claims. And this simple model is also more representative of the situation of gameplay than the ball idly sitting on the surface of the bat with "infinite dwell" as in our friend's example.

All the best

This user has no status.

i gave you an option for tension although i doubt it is what it is.
a rubber stretched with a laterally compressed sponge allowing the sponge to keep the top sheet stretched. i mean its pretty simple and not impossible concive. as said though i reckon its a marketing term rather than a description of the physical properties like GEOSPIN i dont really think it has anything to do with the earth.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i gave you an option for tension although i doubt it is what it is.
a rubber stretched with a laterally compressed sponge allowing the sponge to keep the top sheet stretched. i mean its pretty simple and not impossible concive. as said though i reckon its a marketing term rather than a description of the physical properties like GEOSPIN i dont really think it has anything to do with the earth.

Your option is similar to mine. It's no different from how language evolves and gets adapted.

This user has no status.
i really don't understand why you all can't acknowledge that pnacht speaks a language very different to you. he takes things literally and his table tennis skill is at a low level but his knowledge of physics is actually very real. no, the rubbers aren't actually under tension, it's just an expression because they feel bouncy. from a physics stand point the back swing and the follow through are not important but from a bio-mechanical stand point they are very much because NOBODY is so precise to consistently and powerfully hit the ball without a good back swing and follow through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi