Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... well whats the point of playing table tennis if you can't loop like 2500 .. and have consistency level of a 1200 .. its just too much fun to see the blockers face when those loops land ..

talking about landing loops and blocks , at this point going through a weird situation .. took a 3 weeks break to heal my niggles ( since before christmas ) ... does not seem to have helped .. only thing that has happened that most of the touch has gone .. can't loop or block consistently ... probably at a level around my 40% in practice ... but the playing level when playing doubles matches is around 70% ... never happened to me before .... so even though my practice partner will be gone most likely will play once a week for the next month to keep bringing the touch back and rest of the time work on my physicals...
You'll do fine. Our friend likes to loop like he is 2500, the rest of us just try to put the ball on the table.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Monster,

Middle of last year I got the house and since then, never played more than 3x a week, mostly 1-2 a week, sometimes once a week.

That is not enough to maintain command of the game and touch. The touch can start to get noticeably worse after even a week or two with no TT.

I certainly dropped in level in those months and that 6 week spurt you saw me play on your team in CRC league, I was playing 4x a week or more, so naturally my level went up. I was real lucky that the time period of 3 weeks before the "Alien took over the Host" vid that I was playing 3 levels better than I play right now.

Unfortunately, after wife returned from that long family visit, I was back to playing 1-2 times a week, and naturally my level took a quick nosedive. Double unfortunate, that this happened right before I did US Open. I had a week long training class in SoCal right before the tourney, so that one week time is all that saved me from performing like 1500 level.

So, the good news is... is that it can get better and it won't take forever if the break wasn't years.

Yes, i was thinking booster too. But the point is to find something close to H3 Neo without boosting. Maybe it s a lost cause. Its the same as finding a rubber close to Tenergy but there is only one Tenergy.

Ever tried Palio Thor? I used it on my RPB for a long while since recently, has properties of both worlds.

This user has no status.
Ever tried Palio Thor? I used it on my RPB for a long while since recently, has properties of both worlds.

I am in EJ mode for the next month or so. If nothing works out, i am fine playing with MXP on my forehand.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Went to hit last night... feeling out of it though... neglected to bring a banana ... i hit some, sat down, rested, ate some chocolate, went to hit again, still out of it... :(

"K" said to me, "You improved!"

I felt my strokes (right or wrong/good or bad) was always there, it was just a matter of me getting used to 1 racket after retiring my old racket from the 1980's.

However, reflecting on the past 2 yrs or so when i 'unretired', a few factors may have contributed to my 'improvement':

1. Getting used to the American Hinoki and tensor rubbers slowly but surely - gotten over my fear of missing the ball due to the smaller racket size

2. Hitting for 95% of the time instead of playing matches 65% of the time - it seems membership has thinned partly due to club downsizing from 9 to 6 tables and Robert Chen opening his club. This is somewhat significant IMO, as I still don't have 'game' yet especially with the current setup. I have difficulties in service with the tensor rubbers.

3. Although I hit with anyone who will hit with me, been fortunate recently being able to hit with partners at my level or above my level, they see I'm not like other older club players who hit to win the point despite it being practice. In practice I'm trying just to be steady and return the ball.

4. Also somewhat signifcant: I'm doing my best staying close to the table and shortening my FH loop stroke which makes me more consistent. This makes me a bit more consistent and not wild and 'swinging for the fences.'

I still have a lot to work on, i don't think i improved as much as "K" thinks I did.

"Consistency trumps intensity." Just keep doing the do!

------

Saw Mark Berg last night, because I wasn't feeling 100%, I didn't even try to play him a match. In the past, I would try to play him to see where I'm at in my unretirment. Using my matches with him as a barometer on the progress of my unretirment.

Saw PPH - looking good as always. Saw some of Dominican players also... you know they are in da house when you hear 100+ fast 'pocks pocks' lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
~2:10-2:15 are representative of my rallies vs him... that is if it goes past the 3rd ball.. however, I don't make the shots most of the times when it gets to the 5th-7th ... i cannot let him control the ball.

Digression:

Interesting to note the lefty PH on the table to your right is flat hitting with a very compact/short stroke. When I flat-hit, my stroke extends a tad further.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I was not chastising , I was just joking because your observation was counter intuitive to the avatar name you have given yourself ..
LOLOL

No worries, you have no idea how many times in chatting with 42andbackpains that he chastises me on the dinosaur stuff i still do!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
~2:10-2:15 are representative of my rallies vs him... that is if it goes past the 3rd ball.. however, I don't make the shots most of the times when it gets to the 5th-7th ... i cannot let him control the ball.

Digression:

Interesting to note the lefty PH on the table to your right is flat hitting with a very compact/short stroke. When I flat-hit, my stroke extends a tad further.

Since you digressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVtvnMijOY

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What if Nexy turned out to secretly work for the Brooklyn goon squad? [emoji3]

Or is it that the Brooklyn Goon Squad works for Nexy. Hahahaha.

There is a take in there somewhere.

So, my sister and daughter went to the Rec center. Okay, my sister dragged my daughter to the Rec center. I don’t think she will have to drag again. My daughter had fun.

Anyway, my sister was playing with this super cool blade that someone named USD gave her for XMas.

OhWell was there. He saw the blade. He heard Diana (my sister), saying the blade was an XMen....I mean XMas present.

OhWell went, “urm, uhm, uh, are you UpSideDownDiana?” And she said, “OMG, How’d you know?”

So my sister gives OhWell a lift back to the hood—it seems he lives around the corner and down the block from the entrance to the secret hideout. And during that harrowing ride through the roughest parts of Sunset Park and Park Slope, my sister turns on speaker phone and calls me, telling OhWell to be very quiet until the secret is out of the bag.

And they call, and I figure out OhWell has crashed the train wreck. And while my sister is laughing and my offspring is making fun of me I say: “see Alex, I told you I’m famous!”

Here is the proof. USDCarl with OhWell in safe house #13d....only 1,500 feet above my Subterranean Workshop.

31b24d788b8c1191a8de04b2cb8bae00.jpg

4c1fab56f63138ac835599f8f3c0827e.jpg

e03aec5170518568ddfc0a07be7de50a.jpg

cc434547cce0446ca413ced8572ef9ef.jpg

601b26a938403d0489f6a5b72fdde46b.jpg

I think we sufficiently proved that neither of us know how to take a selfie. And I am pretty sure that was the actual point of all this.

Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Watched this last night fully after i got home from TT. He is the same old MB! Although he was way more restrained at that club and/or that night. At my club, there's so much noise with the Olympic lifters dropping their weights, etc. MB is less restrained.

Again, not looking to beat him in a match just for the sake of notching one on my belt. Since our points generally don't get past 3 or 4 balls, if i beat him, it would show some overall improvement on my part. There were a few points in your match, he showed how he can control the ball with side to side placement. As I'm close to the table compared to you being a few steps away, if i let him control the point, i am behind in the OODA Loop, am reacting and not proacting (is this a word? meant proactive)

Thank you for the inspiring video Sir!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016