Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I saw a few minutes ... you need to work on the forehand loop , try to lead with the left hip and keep your forearm loose ... right now you are trying to use too much shoulder .. you might find the videos on this thread useful .. especially if you grasp what the coaches are trying to teach here ... https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-to-improve-Topspin-by-Chinese-Coach-s-lesson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e6NFA200ANU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Video from Wednesday at the club, I'm on the 2nd table - bigger guy in grey shirt playing the team #1/2. General observation is I need to learn to use and trust a 75% effort attack. My topspins are either done in slow motion or by tensing my whole body to my fullest ability. I also need to get back after I push and get ready to attack. My serves worked well when I didn't try to be too cute with them. And I think I actually need to stand a little taller, when I crouch that low I tense up and don't move my feet as well.

All feedback is welcome and very appreciated :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I saw a few minutes ... you need to work on the forehand loop , try to lead with the left hip and keep your forearm loose ... right now you are trying to use too much shoulder .. you might find the videos on this thread useful .. especially if you grasp what the coaches are trying to teach here ... https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-to-improve-Topspin-by-Chinese-Coach-s-lesson

Thanks! Are you talking about leading with my non-playing arm hip at the beginning of the stroke or initiating the forward portion with my playing arm hip? From the video you linked it looks like it could be both.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e6NFA200ANU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video from Wednesday at the club, I'm on the 2nd table - bigger guy in grey shirt playing the team #1/2. General observation is I need to learn to use and trust a 75% effort attack. My topspins are either done in slow motion or by tensing my whole body to my fullest ability. I also need to get back after I push and get ready to attack. My serves worked well when I didn't try to be too cute with them. And I think I actually need to stand a little taller, when I crouch that low I tense up and don't move my feet as well.

What I saw was honestly pretty good. You are swinging with your core not just your upper arm. The camera angle is terrible so I can't say much more. Get a better recording setup please! Over time try to engage the legs more.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There was also another match 6 months later at Lily Yip. I think I had stopped serving backspin then. How did that go?

The matches are online - what people can see is very straightforward - if people do not return William's serve badly, his level drops considerably. It has very little to do with pushing my serves.
From prior post, I dont struggle to loop a heavy return of my serve any moar.

From the lyttc Goon Squad meetup... that day NL had me playing 300 points below level easily. That is more than Der_Echte having a bad day. THAT is what a prepared player with a plan and watching the opponent will do to make opponent play lower level.

I dont know how I would approach NL serving this time. Would prolly be loop long serves, push short 40 percent of short serves, push long on 20 to 30 percent, and flip the other 20 to 30.

However it goes, It wouldn't resemble a push and dare to attack challenge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
What I saw was honestly pretty good. You are swinging with your core not just your upper arm. The camera angle is terrible so I can't say much more. Get a better recording setup please! Over time try to engage the legs more.

Thanks! Will definitely work on the legs and trying to relax the arm too. I'll be getting a new phone and will get a tripod with it for that exact reason.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Klfht,

Difficult to see much from that footage. A $12 tripod and $10 phone adapter will fit in your ruck and give you years of service.

I must repurchase mine... 4 moves.

German saying is 2 moves equals burning the entire house.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Next week we will be trouble making at Sacramento Winter Open ... haven't played competitively in singles in years and doubles ( my USATT membership expired in april 2016 ) ... but its going to be fun .. playing a couple of singles ( U2100 , U2000 ) and a couple of Doubles ( U4200, U3600 ) events. My doubles partner is my friend David and even though our collective rating is around 34-3500 .. we should get to win some of the doubles matches ...

expectations ... having a lot of fun meeting up my friends there ... and may be take some scalps in U3600 doubles ...

the reason I elected to play higher rated singles was simply to avoid too many junk players ... its not that I hate playing them .. its just it takes a lot of work to play them and I don't think I am fit enough to play 4 events in one day if I play a lot of them .. and anyways I am not expecting anything from my singles ...
ttmonster is gunna have such a blast coming up here with David... who is actually a ttd member. That is how I knew about David years ago in Korea.

This Sacramento tourney... monster is gunna avoid a few lp players, but he is gunna run into the same crowd of ringer kids he sees at Almania, ICC, WCTTA, Swan, and all the other kid training centers...

Maybe he does the pregame hand shake, squeezes firmer than normal, and in a raspy, low voice expresses intent to crush said kid's puppy dog.

I offered the services of my house for shower, cappuccino, and rest after tourney and it is up to David and his lady. David has drank my cappuccino and heard my Francis Cabrel tracks before, so it may be favorable.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh... and there is semi-sponsored kid named Akul to cope with... he won u1900 at icc a week ago and may be in an event or two with monster.

Akul will team up with LP bumper George the Hammer (who was on monster's team last Chinese tourney)... in the same doubles division monster and David will play. U3600.

Der_Echte Signed up for U3600 doubles and will scoop up partner this Monday.

Speaking of Monday, that is when Akul picks up his uniforms... so moar pics to follow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes , thats what I meant ...
Thanks! Are you talking about leading with my non-playing arm hip at the beginning of the stroke or initiating the forward portion with my playing arm hip? From the video you linked it looks like it could be both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e6NFA200ANU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

You need to work on getting a proper camera angle and closer to the table. That way you can get much more help and feedback. Now i would almost guessing if i give you any advice and i do not want to do that.
Edit: I mean i can not just write something on a forum with good conscience if i am not pretty certain that i think what i am saying is correct. That would not be fair and nothing i can stand for.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Fruitloop,

On this thread, I have seen just about every regular poster hit the ball at one time or another with a few exceptions. Lula the most recent, but Boogar, Takkyu, myself, ttmonster, DerEchte, Richie, Carl when he used to post, thekleifheit13, JeffM, sud79, OldschoolPenholder, NDH etc. have all posted video of their play. It has helped me understand and fraternize with them. I consider them family in one way or another.

Love you too NL :) so when are you coming over? I think its my turn to treat you to a game :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Love you too NL :) so when are you coming over? I think its my turn to treat you to a game :)

Will think about it - it is a bit more difficult as a married man, but if I am in Europe on vacation, I will see whether we can make something work. May be next year but we will see.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I miss the days when someone took care of everything and I could play 5-6 days a week. :)

With my life now, even with Der sleeping over last time, I really only got to play one day while he was here since I had to work and take care of my teenager too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e6NFA200ANU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sir,

First, thank you for posting video of your gameplay!

2nd, hard for me to focus with the net and first table in the way.

Looks like you won the first game but lost the 2nd? And yet shook hands and ended the match. Your opponent won 2 straight?

I'm not qualified to talk technique. Will comment on your serves. IIRC you lost 2 points on missed serves in the first game. Seems like you didn't miss any serves in 2nd game.

There are some matches where I won't miss a serve. And then there are some matches where I'll miss 1 or 2 serves a game! In an 11 point game, I cannot afford to give out freebies. I'm working on cutting it down.

Be mindful and relaxed when serving please :)

Thank you again for sharing!

~osph

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I saw your video on my laptop at work and gave you my initial feedback ... I saw NL's comment and I was a little doubtful whether I did not see enough and then saw the others comment as well on the camera angle etc. ...

So just of curiosity , came home and casted your video to my 50" TV and checked out the whole video .. and here is what I saw , again as you know I am not a certified coach or have 0 experience in professional coaching .. but I am not an "arm chair critic" that I can assure you :) ...

1. The forehand movement is not co-ordinated enough to generate enough power at the proper time ... thats my feeling when I see you miss so many loops off high backspin balls ... my feeling from what I saw is that you are rotating your waist back alright but leading with your arm and shoulder ... the waist movement is more of a follow through .. .... meaning difference in the start of the uncoiling movement of the waist and the forearm snap is generally is very accentuated when you loop against long backspin the way you are attempting .. slow spinny version of the loop.. I simply could not see it ...

the way I see loop is ..

step 1 . you turn your waist back
step 2. you generate power from the waist uncoiling
step 3. midway through your waist uncoiling you almost trigger your forearm snap with the waist
step 4. then you release the power when you grab the ball .. the core releases just before it comes back to the rest position and the forearm snap continues through the ball ..

don't know if this the right way to represent it in terms coaching somebody but thats the way I feel when I loop .. and when I see you I see the core not generating the power .. rather the shoulder doing it and even though the start and end point looks like a proper loop , the waist almost follows the shoulder back to position .. again I might be wrong and you will do better to wait for a clear video of doing these strokes individually and having more people comment on it ..

the other things I feel might help you ...

1. Like OSP said , I too feel that your arm and may be in general your body is not relaxed . Evidence majority long / half long serves except the side topspin serve on your backhand which too is not very short but is double bounce on the white line for the most part .... for now it might be helpful to try and relax your forearm and not try tightening it too much to generate power ... once your timing becomes more precise and you can work on using that technique ... I know Der feels otherwise .. but I am a proponent of relax first .. tighten later :) .. one of the things I picked up from watching youtube videos is to have a routine to almost shake the wrist loose before you receive serves .. kind of reminds me to relaxed when receiving serves

2. this one is a far stretch .. but I see you are trying to emulate the pro players in staying low before initiating your rountine of getting to receive the serve ... well this is extremely helpful when some have real quality serves and if its otherwise difficult to catch the spin variation .. but from experience what I have seen is that for the most part its better to avoid the up and down movement with the back .. instead if you remain at your optimal crouching position and just have a small reset movement before receiving the serve it should help .. what I do personally do is to copy the He Zhiwen's old man shuffle than the more fancy Yangyang young split step .. seems just easier for a heavier guy with bad knees and does the job for the most part .....

Now the part that impressed me most that you probably can read the length of the ball well .. I was most impressed your change from going into a push and not doing it and rather looping the half long ball .. that is not easy to do ... so I commend you on that ....

In case you had some lessons from a coach , it might be helpful to go back to him / her periodically to get feedback on your form ... nothing is better than that .... you have come to the next best place TTD Daily Chat thread anyways ...

well enough Friday night table tennis chatter for me .. take it all with a large dose of salt .. I am tired from all the table tennis tonight and almost sleepwalking now through the rest of the post ...

hopefully you will get better and more useful feedback from others .. at the end of the day you should be the sole judge of what seems right or wrong .. and which advice to adapt and which one should be helpful to you .. so good luck in your table tennis journey ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I found the following gem while trying to find some inspiration prior to tomorrows league match:
https://www.laola1.tv/partner/v4pla...t&hlsfirst=&menu1=&menu2=&menu3=&play=1482166

Jens Lundqvist actually beat Dima this past week. Really comforting to someone very close to his age. Old farts can indeed play TT at a very high level. Thinking of joining or starting a fan club for Jens. I love men who don't know when to quit.

Reactions: ttmonster and yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Truly inspiring .. thanks for sharing ... Lundqvist just showed there is still room for creativity and control in the game .. even against the powerful players ... at times it seemed like a waldner remix :)
I found the following gem while trying to find some inspiration prior to tomorrows league match:
https://www.laola1.tv/partner/v4pla...t&hlsfirst=&menu1=&menu2=&menu3=&play=1482166

Jens Lundqvist actually beat Dima this past week. Really comforting to someone very close to his age. Old farts can indeed play TT at a very high level. Thinking of joining or starting a fan club for Jens. I love men who don't know when to quit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Truly inspiring .. thanks for sharing ... Lundqvist just showed there is still room for creativity and control in the game .. even against the powerful players ... at times it seemed like a waldner remix :)

Lundqvist play very fast and hard i think. But i think his attitude seems so-so but maybe it is the heat of the moment. He is really good at leaning the body and loop the ball haha

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I agree he is pretty powerful himself .. but I am really amazed how he out thought Dima with control , anticipation and placement ...
Lundqvist play very fast and hard i think. But i think his attitude seems so-so but maybe it is the heat of the moment. He is really good at leaning the body and loop the ball haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews

What is wrong with his attitude? He sometimes may look a bit arrogant but I think that simply comes down to natural appearance / mimics. I think that he played extremely smart and maximised his "tool box". I'm sure that he will remember this match for a very long time.... what is his ranking 250? Amazing result.