Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH, if you were to ask me, I would say that you don't need to even try RPB.

Your punch is really strong. If you like it, there's no need to change in my opinion.

You are too kind Archo! Thank you. I cannot punch downspin though and in the back of my mind the RPB can alleviate any downspin to my bh side, without me playing the passive push, despite my attempts at angling it/placing where opponent is not.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
WOW at Zhou Xin Tong's twiddling ... so smooth AND fast! 5:18-5:23

Thanks for the video clip! It amazes me as she can use traditional backhand with LP so basically she can cover forehand and backhand side with LP, but also attack from backhand side with RPB (with inverted).

says what [IMG]
You are too kind Archo! Thank you. I cannot punch downspin though and in the back of my mind the RPB can alleviate any downspin to my bh side, without me playing the passive push, despite my attempts at angling it/placing where opponent is not.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from opening your mind to new possibilities. You can do whatever you feel like.

Perhaps switching to RPB would benefit you a lot in the long term. And I think you could do it too. Just don't lose sight of what you do have.

@Twiddling

I'm not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
A guy at the club who plays SH use H3 on fh and short pips on bh. On hes serves he toss the ball, swings hes blade back behind the body, spins the blade over, then does his serves.. you never know until the last blink of the eye what comes over the net. Is it loaded with the H3's spin? Is it short pips? Is it flat? Your second guessing yourself all the time! Wonderful to see! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Long pips Zhou XinTong makes opponent SO frustrated

Thanks for the video clip! It amazes me as she can use traditional backhand with LP so basically she can cover forehand and backhand side with LP, but also attack from backhand side with RPB (with inverted).

Not having heard of ZXT until Liten mentioned her today, I see she uses short pips on her black side! WOW, i thought she was using inverted. So sometimes she RPB with short pips! *MIND BLOWN* so much i have to learn about this game!!

TT long pips Study 2013, international competition in Japan. Mainly Zhou (China, red shirt) uses red side LP as forehand chop block, and push,/swipe, then black side Short pips for serving and RPB Reverse Penhold Backhand occasionally.

Reactions: Boogar and Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For Der_Echte's and TTD CCers' LOLZ :)

Finally had time to edit my 2nd match with Der from 10/2 Sunday. 10/1 Saturday I played him with my regular Avalox P700 DHS H3. Sunday, tried out the Nexy Amazon CPen with a MX-P. After ~30 mins drilling of side down serve and 3rd ball slow topspin loop, we played a match. Der did whatever he wanted and I only did the drill but under match conditions. I still sucked at serve receive. Lost pretty much all points on Der's serves.

One of the key points Der taught me was to reset to ready position ... on some points i was able to, and Der said something to the effect of "...magic happens." Regarding the 3rd ball slow topspin loop, many times he was saying something like: "see how easy it is?" Granted he was feeding it to me, but I kept smiling and shaking my head in disbelief at just how easy it was... I was in a relaxed frame of mind... able to loop more than i generally would because I reset and because I was relaxed.

0:25-0:28 - Der unleashes his loop ... of course it didn't help I misread his serve and I move like a pregnant yak, slow to stick my racket out

0:52-1:02 - I 3rd ball looped and 5th ball punch down the line ... Der reiterate how good things happen after I reset to ready position

1:07-1:11 - 5th ball punched into net LOL

1:17-1:23 - Der looped ball into net, CHECK OUT THE SPIN THOUGH!

1:24-1:30 - lucky pushing/angling

1:37-1-42 - wasn't reset properly for 5th ball, i'm flat footed on 7th ball LOLZ

1:58-2:02 - LET 'ER RIP! sad part, there was a hole in my paddle, i mean, i was there, racket was out LOL

2:03-2:05 - my only failed serve of the whole match! Generally i get 3-5 a match :(

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON NEXY AMAZON AND MX-P

Having played with an old Double Happiness 7-ply with old Friendship 729 rubber ages ago, I've played with various rubbers for the past year in my unretirement after 30 yrs absence from TT ... it wasn't until i played with a DHS H3 about 4 months ago, did i finally feel I got some semblance of my old game back

The Nexy Amazon/MX-P setup surprised me, it played very well for my close-to-the-table style. I expected the MX-P to be way more bouncier and I wouldn't be able to control my shots. The Amazon felt great to smash with as well as loop. THe MX-P was acting like H3 for me.

I would reco the combo setup as well as individually the Nexy Amazon Cpen and MX-P to any players close-to-the-table players.
The big pay off I was trying to get wired into OSPH'S behavior was to do a power slide or power hop to his FH, make a spinny loop, then bounce back not even a foot, but pivot open to be in an open FH stance with knees bent some.

That allows him to step around to bh side, move in on a soft shot, or handle anything to his body or FH.

You handle those balls so easy when you are open with hitting foot back and knees bent... the follow up shots land like magic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The big pay off I was trying to get wired into OSPH'S behavior was to do a power slide or power hop to his FH, make a spinny loop, then bounce back not even a foot, but pivot open to be in an open FH stance with knees bent some.

That allows him to step around to bh side, move in on a soft shot, or handle anything to his body or FH.

You handle those balls so easy when you are open with hitting foot back and knees bent... the follow up shots land like magic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LOL at my old man memory... THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Footwork problem I have to fix: realizing I don't have to move as far to the right as I think I do. Or really as far in most directions. If I can do that I will be lighter on feet.

Was doing 2 2 drill. Thats 2 to bh, 2 to the forehand. After the bh I kept overreacting to forehand side and taking ball too close to my body. And because I was overreacting was getting too tired and just being heavy on my feet.

Need to do those conditioning drills Ryu is doing. In the second half of that video. Incredible how much space he can cover.

That is a secret to footwork. Those micro steps. How one little step gets you all the way from BH to FH.

I actually really like that 2-2 drill. There are a few things about it that are really useful aside from that experience of feeling the spacing from BH corner to FH corner. For me, this drill really helped me with handling when someone likes to go down the line with their BH.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH, you remembered what you needed to, after a one hour brief a mind can only remember a few things. That is why in person, I select outrageous words like magic and so easy.

Some say that NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) is woo woo/quackery/fake/unscientific/etc.

Some instructors/coaches understanding parts of NLP in teaching their students ... understanding that people can be predominately Visual, Auditory or Kinestic ... they use 3 all modes to instruct ... your use of choice words were great - hitting me on the Auditory front as well as Visual and in a way Kinestic!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Footwork problem I have to fix: realizing I don't have to move as far to the right as I think I do. Or really as far in most directions. If I can do that I will be lighter on feet.

Was doing 2 2 drill. Thats 2 to bh, 2 to the forehand. After the bh I kept overreacting to forehand side and taking ball too close to my body. And because I was overreacting was getting too tired and just being heavy on my feet.

Need to do those conditioning drills Ryu is doing. In the second half of that video. Incredible how much space he can cover.

You work with Good coaches and you are older than most of us and I have never seen video of your play so I won't ask for it. All of that caveated, the usual culprit is not athleticism or moving too much but that one is not moving in response to the ball. Usually people are moving too early in rote fashion and overstepping in anticipation of where they think the ball will be hit to. This is often the case on fast drills.

Practical footwork requires you to respond after the ball is hit and very often the feet are the last things to move. You can watch top players. They are often swinging at the ball with their feet in the air.

Of course, as we get older, such footwork might be impractical for a variety of reasons. But I am just pointing this out because I used to think I was over or under stepping. I later realized that even if I had the footwork right, your footwork never practical if you are moving before you know where the ball is going to in a manner similar to to match situations. I can pivot and cross to just about any easy ball despite having terrible knees. It's when I pivot or cross in response to a fast push or topspin that I know that I am doing the real thing.