Am i allowed to manipulate my hand like this during the serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
When serving, i always have the ball on my open palm hand that is 180 degrees. During the motion of which i am tossing the ball, my hand is 180 and slowly angles itself to a 135 degree angle so the ball sort of is thrown to me so i can serve. Am i allowed to do this? or must my hand by 180 degrees open the whole time i toss the ball. Or does it not matter how my hand is after it rests in my 180 degrees palm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
When serving, i always have the ball on my open palm hand that is 180 degrees. During the motion of which i am tossing the ball, my hand is 180 and slowly angles itself to a 135 degree angle so the ball sort of is thrown to me so i can serve. Am i allowed to do this? or must my hand by 180 degrees open the whole time i toss the ball. Or does it not matter how my hand is after it rests in my 180 degrees palm.

If we go strictly by the rules your hand needs to be completly flat the moment the ball leaves your palm.
Plus the toss needs to be almost vertical. So throwing into you is a fault.
However i think almost nobody will call you out on that if you throw the ball just a little bit towards you.

says Aging is a killer

We will need to see a video.
But any twisting of the hand during the throwing action will raise suspicion in the umpire's mind that you are spinning the ball. So by your description; a hand twist plus non-vertical ("thrown to me") toss sounds like 2 counts against that serve.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Ok. I understand this leads to suspicion as the rule does state that the serve must be vertical, but i see many professionals like par garrel and marcos freitas that are able to throw the ball to themselves, but not get faulted. This has always made me think and i am not sure right now.

Serves get faulted far too little. Better learn a correct serve from the start.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That sounds intelligent. But Tinykin is correct, a video would help us see if this is not a problem or if it is. With words it is hard to describe something like this. I have at least 20 images in my head of what you could mean. And some of them are fine and some of them are definitely not okay.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Many pro players throw ball towards their body in serves and not be called. I believe perfect vertical throw is not enforced and a consensus is that if the distance travel in height is greater than the distance travel towards you then it is fine. Also if you do not spin the ball obviously in your throw with an open palm then it is fine too. Anyway it is physically not possible to throw a ball high and keep your palm 180 at all time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Many pro players throw ball towards their body in serves and not be called. I believe perfect vertical throw is not enforced and a consensus is that if the distance travel in height is greater than the distance travel towards you then it is fine. Also if you do not spin the ball obviously in your throw with an open palm then it is fine too. Anyway it is physically not possible to throw a ball high and keep your palm 180 at all time.

Okay thank you for your comment. I always had this idea in mind.