Why are there so many choppers using short pimples?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
That's basically rubbish. Of course it has a spin reversal...

Antis have less spin reversal than frictionless pips, because of their sponge. They usually create dead balls. But this doesn't mean that the playing style is not the same close to table blocking. [EDIT: I meant this for phillypong --->] I thought you have a problem of these players style, not with the rubbers effect as you can deal with them, :) You still have to think differently when playing against anti, because they still doesn't spin the ball.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In an offline discussion with NextLevel he made some excellent points about how playing against LP and Anti can be very frustrating, especially when you don't get to practice against them enough. And how, there are many players who use LP or Anti to get around a weakness in their game without learning how to improve and work on the weakness.

And yes, sometimes you have a player using LP or Anti just bumping the ball back and not necessarily using any particular skill and relying on the other player to misread the ball and mess up.

It is true that there are those players. But once you play enough against LP and Anti, you stop losing to those players and learn how to use their crutch against them.

Just like smooth, LP can be played at a low level or a high level. It also, as has been pointed out, allows older players who may not be able to do much otherwise to play at a decent level.

I have had a few basement players complain to me that using my racket is cheating because I can generate so much spin with it. But I am not willing to go back to the hardbat days or decide that everyone should be using the same generic racket.

Pips are what they are. Some people look great using them. Many do not. But you can still have great matches against a good or a bad pips player.

And look at Tareq, he probably would still be complaining about not being able to receive serves with his BH if he hadn't found and started using LP. My money says that LP rubber on his BH probably caused his ability to play against higher level players to jump dramatically without him learning anything.

I say that is ultimately good for the sport as long as you understand what LP do.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are at DIV 1 city / regional level many female players with SP on BH who can block or chop and really manipulate the spin. Hard to tell from the top players and they can all play SO fast, it is a skilled brand of tt, maybe that is why it is so.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yoo Se Hyuk is probably the most spectacular long pimple player in the world. Taking him as a reference to defend the use of long pimples is ridiculous.

For example a relatively well rated player like Olivier Mader (see video against Schlager) illustrates more how ugly and weird this kind of equipment is looking. Its mind boggling how Mader can have a rating of 2215 USATT really, considering his horrible technical skills. I know it is not that easy to play with long pimples , I just want to show how ugly and weird the pimples make most non elite players play.

And just to let you guys know, I personally win almost all matches when I play against long pimples in my low league, so it is nothing personal. If you dont think this equipment makes table tennis weird looking for most people then i have nothing more to say.

Madler does look quite "ugly" with his style of play, but do NOT make the mistake of thinking there is no technical skill. Oliver knows touch, how to get to the ball, how to play angles, how to play percentages, and how to adapt tactics.

Go ahead and fly to Florida and challenge him to a high stakes game if you think he is so terrible technically... you would be out of a car, cash, and girlfriend very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Go ahead and fly to Florida and challenge him to a high stakes game if you think he is so terrible technically... you would be out of a car, cash, and girlfriend very quickly.

PHEW! That means he didn't get the good stuff (the only stuff that matters) from me ... CHICKEN AND BEER!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look. Here is the thing, in tennis, there is no way someone could dink the ball back over and over without ever being able to blast the ball. So many of the things that work well in table tennis would just not work in a sport like tennis.

Now, in tennis they do know how to have soft hands and execute things like drop shots. But, you need ground stroke fundamentals.

In table tennis, a whole bunch of things work, like, the traditional penhold BH, that just wouldn't fly in tennis. In tennis, punch shots would work at the net but not from the baseline. Think about trying to hit any shot while holding a tennis racket delicately the way a penholder holds a TT racket. You just couldn't. It is too delicate. The touch of table tennis's short game, there is no equivalent in tennis.

Table tennis is MUCH more about spin and deception, touch and control, about subtle technical details like whether you made deep contact or thin brushing contact. Because it can be about hard to fathom skillz of touch and contact far more than it needs to be about power and athleticism (even though the top players have it all) it is the only sport I know of where the women can be that close to the men.

The top women in TT are way closer to the top men in level than in tennis or any other sport I can think of.

I also don't think there is any other sport where a handicapped player can play as well as the top handicapped players can play.

Think about that guy who has no arms and plays with the racket in his mouth. He is actually pretty good. In what other sport could that actually happen?

Now you can look at this in more than one way. Some people are going to look and think, something like this "that sucks. TT iz lame. Malder looks pathetic! How could he beat that guy who looks so much better than him?"

Or you could think: "TT is amazing! Look at what these guys are doing with spin and how that old clumsy guy can still play so well because of his eye and his touch even though he is not very coordinated and probably wasn't good at many other sports."

I choose to look at it the second way. And I think a guy like Rich Dewitt or Tahl Leibovitz is an artist with his racket. To me that has its own inherent beauty.

When SPiN had Timo Bill do a demonstration/tournament in NYC a few years ago, my friend Edmund, joking around, said, "let's show Timo what real NYC table tennis is all about. Let's have him play, Rich Dewitt, JP Kadzinski and Tahl Leibovitz."

It was a pretty entertaining comment. But there is something amazing about how these larger than life characters can play at such a high level in this sport.

I personally wouldn't want to change that.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi, just wondering that why so many choppers recently are using short pimples instead of long pimples? I understand that the short pimples is able to control the spin variation a bit better compared to the long pimples. But short pimples are harder for spin reversal and hence chops will be left with little to no spin. Also short pimples are mostly for the attacking game why use it to play as a defensive chopper?

Can I challenge the basic premise of this post - do you have any data to back up the claim that "recently so many choppers are using SP"? SP choppers were always around - but, are we talking about 10% or 40%?. And did it really change recently?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Yoo Se Hyuk is probably the most spectacular long pimple player in the world. Taking him as a reference to defend the use of long pimples is ridiculous.

For example a relatively well rated player like Olivier Mader (see video against Schlager) illustrates more how ugly and weird this kind of equipment is looking. Its mind boggling how Mader can have a rating of 2215 USATT really, considering his horrible technical skills. I know it is not that easy to play with long pimples , I just want to show how ugly and weird the pimples make most non elite players play.

And just to let you guys know, I personally win almost all matches when I play against long pimples in my low league, so it is nothing personal. If you dont think this equipment makes table tennis weird looking for most people then i have nothing more to say.

Don't forget Fabian Ankerstrom(sp?) Of Sweden if you want a weird long pips player or Amelie Solija, Petrissa's sister... however I think she uses anti.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Don't forget Fabian Ankerstrom(sp?) Of Sweden if you want a weird long pips player or Amelie Solija, Petrissa's sister... however I think she uses anti.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Solja did use LP back then. ;)

Sent from my S5E using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Getting back to what the OP asked, I really can't see that "so many" players are defending with short pips. There may be a small handful, but the bast majority of professional level defenders still use LP on BH, for a whole bunch of reasons. If you ever play much with SP you can see why they are not real well suited, at least with sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Most choppers using the short pimples have sponge and not ox. It is amazing that they are able to get so much control with the short pimples. I chopped with the lp and sp before and lp does the better job but the sp is more deceptive and opens up the attacking possilities. Still sticking to the long pimples;)

Reactions: BeGo