New era with DHS D40+ 3 Star Balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've been using ABS balls since NP40 came out. I win and lose points just the same as with 40 mm. For me its just ping pong at this point. But cellulose acetate really took the fun out for me but I probably would have adjusted in time. ABS made adjustment to 40+ easier. Since I never adjusted to crappy 40+ I can't guess how hard it is to switch back to a good ball. But rounder and more consistent bounce is a good thing. I think pros will adjust really fast.

Yes. And more and better rallies. No silly mistakes in serve return or third ball or rallies because of deformed balls.

I think Timo's struggles with the NP40+ at competitions were really about declining form and good opponents. All those people who beat him have improved vs the field as well against Boll. Boll wqs an off the bounce looping master and monster and other than loss of form, there was absolutely no reason for his game to decline vs anyone else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I personally feel now it is not a good time to eliminate seamless ball by changing standard. At this moment DHS D 40+ are not distributed that much. It still takes time to check out their mass production quality. Seamless ball sold cheaper than Nittaku balls. If we only leave DHS and Nittaku on the market, what if DHS raise price again and what if availability is not good. My guts told me, something deeper is behind this launch of new DHS ball, and I highly doubt low-priced good products could be at low for very long. Maybe it's all just a politics show.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Who wins presidential is not really my interest. Which manufacturer laughs over the triumph is also not my business. What I want is simply, ball options, consistent quality, reasonable price. I don't like being forced with one certain type of ball.

Reactions: PierreAd
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Seamless ball makers have no intention of going away I am sure. I prefer the ABS balls but I hope the seamless ball makers continue to keep downward pressure on prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Indeed new DHS ball improves a lot compares to old crappy version, and I think that's good news for players. Yet it seems exaggerating to claim "new era" when an improvement happens. I didn't see anyone claiming it's a new era when Nittaku P was launched into the market. From what I heard, most balls in Japan are still Nittaku, and most used balls in China are the one named Yinhe seamless ball. I guess that's why DHS lowered price unbelievably cheap, trying to get some decent market share. In Korea, the most favorable ball is also not DHS ball nor its clones... strangely people had high expectation for Butterfly balls before they had German factory to produce for them, yet seems not so many people like their balls. Let's see what happens. Hope other decent balls wouldn't been a sacrifice of some political war! Good to have options.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Seamless ball makers have no intention of going away I am sure. I prefer the ABS balls but I hope the seamless ball makers continue to keep downward pressure on prices.

As much as constant switching between balls and adjusting from one week to the next drives me mad, things are slowly improving. The harder seamless balls are less floaty, bounce a bit lower, and are more round than earlier batches (Xiom are my favorite so far), and with the D40+ and NP40+ being so close in behaviour, the gaps are closing. Otherwise I'd say that the frustration of constant switching outweighs market forces.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think we are approaching the point where differences in tables outweigh differences in balls. Maybe we are not quite there yet, but getting close. (Assuming that the celllulose acetate balls pretty much disappear, and why would they persist since they are bad, fragile, and costly?)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Here's my review about dhs d40+

I was so anxious to test this new ball. When the ball come the roundness and lack of spin (or whatever you call ) was evident even when I spin the ball on my nail.

First day playing with it was horrible. I hated that ball it was something stranger in how it behaviour. D40+ lose spin easily in rallys (i cannot explain that even in Portuguese).

The second day was more or less the same.

But after lose all my hope in the ball I get used to it and I like it.

Now I'm in love with the ball too.

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TurboZ and Baal
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here's my review about dhs d40+

I was so anxious to test this new ball. When the ball come the roundness and lack of spin (or whatever you call ) was evident even when I spin the ball on my nail.

First day playing with it was horrible. I hated that ball it was something stranger in how it behaviour. D40+ lose spin easily in rallys (i cannot explain that even in Portuguese).

The second day was more or less the same.

But after lose all my hope in the ball I get used to it and I like it.

Now I'm in love with the ball too.

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

I suspect a lot of people who have not been mostly playing with NP40 will react exactly like this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hit with a buddy this morning and was my first hit with the new DHS ABS 40+ 3 star ball.

Our club currently plays with the Gambler 40+ 3 star seamless ball.

I did a spin wobble test. Perfectly round.

Honestly, we played and everything felt normal. I'm perfectly happy with the Gambler ball but if this ball ends up being extremely popular & is cheaper? Why not.

Honestly after hitting an hour with it this morning at no point did any bounce or hit feel off or weird. I play short pips so I'm not trying to spin it up all that often so maybe i'm not the best judge on the ball from that standpoint. I completely forgot we were hitting with a different ball until I was thinking about it just now. I would consider that a good thing that I didn't notice the ball.

It will most likely become our standard club ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hit with a buddy this morning and was my first hit with the new DHS ABS 40+ 3 star ball.

Our club currently plays with the Gambler 40+ 3 star seamless ball.

I did a spin wobble test. Perfectly round.

Honestly, we played and everything felt normal. I'm perfectly happy with the Gambler ball but if this ball ends up being extremely popular & is cheaper? Why not.

Honestly after hitting an hour with it this morning at no point did any bounce or hit feel off or weird. I play short pips so I'm not trying to spin it up all that often so maybe i'm not the best judge on the ball from that standpoint. I completely forgot we were hitting with a different ball until I was thinking about it just now. I would consider that a good thing that I didn't notice the ball.

It will most likely become our standard club ball.

I was very hesitant to try the new D40+ ball after my experience with the previous generation DHS ball. It seems to be exactly what the sport has been waiting for ever since the switch to 40+, a reasonably priced pro quality plastic ball. Now my only concern is how well DHS can handle batch consistency over the long term.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Price per ball from ttnpp is less than half comparing to tt11 so that is a no-brainer, but the catch is that you have to buy 72 to get their free shipping. That is probably enough to last a life time for many unless you are sharing it. BTW I just suffer my first lost after two months....by someone stepping on it. :(