New era with DHS D40+ 3 Star Balls

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It wears its outer surface much better than a Nittaku plus. This is a great and durable ball. I hit the net post in a third ball drive and it survived and played quite a few games I don't like how it takes my spin but I will accept that because of the consistency of the quality.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Play alternatively with D40+ 3 stars, 1 star and Nittaku Premium for a few hours today. The outcome is positive as expected. In a drop test both NP and 1 star bounce more. But in play the 1 star will not go forward as much. Still I would say 1 star is about 80% similar and I can happily play with it all day. 1 star has a higher pitch ping noise than 3 stars, until after playing with NP that the ping noise of 3 stars became noticeable.

I remember a 1 star last me a few days. Can't say much about the durability of 3 stars after just 1 day of play but it is still in one piece after lots of hard banging so I won't doubt it. The rough surface is still rough but scared with table paint.

Butterfly released an Easy Ball before but I would say this D40+ is truly easy to play. Balls kept coming back even with kill shot that is not expected to be returned. My friend said that he can return my spiny loops now which he had trouble before. Does that mean it has less spin or slower speed? Possibly both. But it still kicks after making top and side spin loops so the fun is not loss.

The trajectory is predictable, even more so than seamless. Considering the price and all the positive aspects I sure will not waste more money on other balls again. I am happy DHS finally done something right. :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
TT11 says they will be selling the D40+ balls in about a month.

Reactions: TurboZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Couple of years of blatant obviousness knocking on their heads, but good
news nonetheless...

http://www.ittf.com/2017/03/17/ittf-president-thomas-weikert-ensures-work-improve-quality-balls/

Glad that they have finally pay attention to how different balls are played and try to level it. But I guess seamed and seamless balls will never play similar and any change of action will favor the new DHS and gradually fade out seamless if they really aim to support only one standard.

My D40+ ball survived another day of hard banging so it is all good. This time I mix in the old 40+ and the first few loops did block long and curve in the air seems more prominent. But anything can adapt fast and difference became less noticeable after a few minutes.

The surface of old ball is very smooth and new ball very rough. It seems logical to think that the rough surface will give more friction so higher spin and reaction to spin is expected. So why the opposite? The rough surface of new ball is so rough that it just kills off spin in the air perhaps? Nevertheless I already find myself hitting harder trying to compensate for it.

I wonder how much TT11 will priced their new balls in the future as I see them drop ridiculously fast in taobao. The old 40+ can be bought even cheaper now. I believe they will fade it out very soon.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Still haven't broken one! Not for lack of trying. I now agree with whoever said the outer surface holds up better than Nittaku. This surprises me but it is pretty clear to me now.

So at this point all my questions about this ball are pretty much answered. Good play, good price, good durability. All good. Now, if they can just maintain this quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
My order of 2 x 72 balls from TTNPP arrived today. It is placed on 20th March, shipped 23rd and arrived 28th. Not bad for shipping from HK. I am surprised to see 15 boxes of 10 instead of pack of 6 so I received 6 bonus balls for free. :rolleyes: Only problem is that many boxes are badly crushed at the corners. The Double Fish V40+ has much better package by comparison.

dhs 10.jpg

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
After watching the Korea Open which is the first international tournament to use the new D40+ balls, it kind of surprised me to see Timo Boll came up winning Men's Single with his spiny game play. Glad to see it is not just about winning with power after all and spin is still there if you have the technique. But I have to say the game play in the China Trials earlier was much faster and intense with the same ball. Would have to see what the top Chinese can do with it next and how much the new ball will affect the balance.

BTW I have yet to break one after more than a month, what am I suppose to do with hundreds of them? :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
BTW I have yet to break one after more than a month, what am I suppose to do with hundreds of them? :p

Break 2 of them, put them in the heels of your shoes and then do footwork multiball with the rest.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Last time I wrote here to say I haven't broken one yet was March 17.

I still haven't broken one (although I alternate the D40+ with my Nittaku Premiums, which I will do until I have used up my stash of Nittakus).

As for the whole "no spin" issue (non-issue), I for one am not in the least bit surprised that Timo Boll won a tournament with this ball.

Here is my prediction for the upcoming year: 12 months from now, the world's top two players will be Ma Long and FZD in some order or another, and there will be some other CNT players at the top. Ovtcharov will be in the top 10. So will Mitzutani. With Timo it will depend on whether he stays healthy, and he and Vladi are not young.

In other words, nothing much will change. Of course it is possible that someone young may emerge from somewhere (because someone often does and that would happen with any of the balls), and somebody we are used to seeing at the top will suffer injuries that cause their level to drop (which pretty much everywhere outside of China is how elite careers end).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I got the D40+ balls as soon as TTNPP had them, so far I have had only one broken (big foot stepped on it), these balls to me play as good if not better than the NP40+ 3 star balls. I like how they stay rougher longer than the NP40+ 3 star balls and they are a whole lot cheaper. Now if the QC of future balls don't go bad, that is the worry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
After watching the Korea Open which is the first international tournament to use the new D40+ balls, it kind of surprised me to see Timo Boll came up winning Men's Single with his spiny game play. Glad to see it is not just about winning with power after all and spin is still there if you have the technique. But I have to say the game play in the China Trials earlier was much faster and intense with the same ball. Would have to see what the top Chinese can do with it next and how much the new ball will affect the balance.

I don't mind admitting that I thought Timo would struggle with these balls. But that was based on the D40+ being very similar to the NP40+, and also my understanding of how he plays and the conditions his style performs best in. Two things I may be really wrong about. He had a great tournament (with some timely luck against Kenta) and looked very at ease. It was heartening to see.

Quite apart from Timo, I still think that rock-hard balls like NP40+ and D40+ need a different approach in certain circumstances and some players will feel more comfortable than others. Franziska's direct power style looks more effective than I've seen before, but it's probably just a short-term wibble.

Reactions: TurboZ
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
but it's probably just a short-term wibble.
For all these players. Very soon now everybody will have adjusted to ABS balls and table variation will matter more than ball variation. Some DHS tables have a very glassy surface. People don't talk about that so much. I think the world rankings won't change much because of balls per se. (I don't think Ma Long's greatness depends on crappy balls).

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I've been using ABS balls since NP40 came out. I win and lose points just the same as with 40 mm. For me its just ping pong at this point. But cellulose acetate really took the fun out for me but I probably would have adjusted in time. ABS made adjustment to 40+ easier. Since I never adjusted to crappy 40+ I can't guess how hard it is to switch back to a good ball. But rounder and more consistent bounce is a good thing. I think pros will adjust really fast.

Last edited: