Butterfly Asics vs Mizuno Wave Drive Sizing

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys,

I looked extensively for info on this, and had really mixed opinions which didn't help.

I have worn Butterfly Energyforce VIII for the past few years, and had stuck with Butterfly shoes before that.

I'd always ordered a UK11 (even though in 99% of all other trainers/sneakers I'm a UK12). Anyway, Butterfly UK11 were perfect.

Since Asics stopped making the Butterfly shoes, I figured I'd switch to the Mizuno Wave Drive, but couldn't get any info on sizing.

In the end, I went for a UK12/US13/JPN 31.0/EUR 47..... Well, these are MASSIVE - A good inch too long.

I've just ordered a pair of UK 11's and 10.5's to see which one's fit better - I'll report back afterwards.

For reference, this photo is a Butterfly Asics in a UK11, and Mizuno Wave Drive in a UK12 - It looks like there is much more than 1 size difference here, but I'll find out for definite tomorrow.

IMG_3998.jpg

******* UPDATE *******

Ok, so I now have all 3 pairs - A UK 10.5, 11 and 12 - Quite frankly, it's all a bit of an anti climax.

I don't think there is "1 rule" to follow, but I'd recommend you buy the same size as other brands of Table Tennis shoes - But 1 whole size DOWN from your typical trainer/sneaker.

So - For reference, my shoe sizes are:

Sneaker/Trainer (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour etc) - UK12
"Smart" Leather Shoe - UK11 (Typically)
Butterfly Asics TT Shoe - UK11
Mizuno Wave Drive 7 - UK11

The Mizuno Wave Drive 7 and Butterfly Asics are almost identical in sizing (the Mizuno is perhaps half a cm longer - But it's not obvious).

The below photo shoes (from left to right):

Wave Drive 7 UK 12
Wave Drive 7 UK 11
Wave Drive 7 UK 10.5
Butterfly EnergyForce XIII UK 11

The tape measure is to give a point of reference rather than a width measurement.

Hopefully this helps people down the line.

IMG_5120.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JHB and XO21

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I bought Wave Drive Seven, size UK 10.5 as I normally would in order to accommodate thick socks, and length-wise they are half to three-quarters of an inch too big (despite Bribar's advice to the contrary.) The width however is a different story, the fit there is perfect and I'm not sure a smaller shoe would work. In practice the extra length doesn't inconvenience me at all and I'm quite happy with what I've got. The shoes don't move around on my feet like they would if they were too wide.

BTW my normal shoe size is UK 10, but nowadays shoe sizing is a lottery at the best of times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I bought my Wave Drive's 1/2 a size smaller than my UK size as I read somewhere that Mizuno shoes are slightly larger in size. I'm usually a size 9 but bought 8.5 (27.5 Japn size) and they fit perfectly!! I hope that helps somewhat :)

NDH

says Spin to win!
I bought my Wave Drive's 1/2 a size smaller than my UK size as I read somewhere that Mizuno shoes are slightly larger in size. I'm usually a size 9 but bought 8.5 (27.5 Japn size) and they fit perfectly!! I hope that helps somewhat :)

Out of curiosity, are you normally a UK9 in TT shoes or general shoes?

I'm a UK12 in most trainers, but wore a UK11 in Butterfly TT shoes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Out of curiosity, are you normally a UK9 in TT shoes or general shoes?

I'm a UK12 in most trainers, but wore a UK11 in Butterfly TT shoes.

I'm UK 9 in general trainers (Cons, Adidas, etc...) The last TT shoes I owned were actually Adidas many years ago.

I think the rule of thumb with the Mizuno Wave Drives are to go 1/2 a size smaller. I do however have narrow feet, the 8.5 Wave Drive's I own fit my feet perfectly.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
It's the length which is the issue for me - It would annoy me having so much room at the end.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring the right size!

Hope it does, you seem to have all bases covered ! I also thought the length would be an issue and I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out not to be so. Mind you in MK Division 6 it probably doesn't matter that much anyway !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
the question is also: how much space is comfortable to you? someone might want only a bit of space, some want a thumb's width, it's all preference.