DHS W968 (Hurricane Long V Non Commercial / Pro) Ideal Weight / Thickness?

This user has no status.
I’m looking to buy a DHS W968 blade. The blades are the newer version with smaller face, 158 mm X 150 mm. The two I’m looking at are of the following weight / thickness:

1. 92.5 g / 6.04 mm
2. 90 g / 6.1 mm

The seller recommended the heavier one. Is there a difference really? I mean how closely am I gonna feel 2 grams, or for that matter, 3, 4 grams once rubbers are glued on? I rationalize that the first one feels better in a sense, because it’s heavier, yet thinner, so all else equal the plies are more closely glued, so the ball hits through the blade’s plies easier? Or am I completely overthinking this?

The commercial / cheaper version on DHS's Chinese website is said to be 92+3(g) and 5.9+0.1(mm), so I'm interpreting that to be 92-95 g and 5.9-6 mm, so the first one is closer to specs?

Please let me know, I have issues choosing when faced with options lol…

I know there’s always a risk buying unless you’re getting it directly from “the source”, but please focus on the question asked if you kindly respond. Thank you!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
You are indeed overthinking this. Unless you have a very specific demand and are sensitive with blade thickness or weight from previous setups, what i assume you havent since you are asking, there is no way to tell which one suits you better. The heavier one could be less headheavy when paired with heavy rubbers.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
The seller recommends you heavier one because it is assumed that heavier setup gives more solid feel while striking the ball. This solid feeling becomes more prominent as you play from further back. However, every individual has different needs and different strengths. I would prefer something not too heavy as it restricts the movement of my wrist which I prefer to keep relaxed and loose during match play. If you tend to have a heavier setup it becomes difficult to swing it repeatedly without tensing your arm which I feel is counter productive as I think that table tennis is not a muscular game.
You are right, that 2 grams would hardly mean anything in terms of weight, but when paired with heavier rubbers the weight of the entire setup might go up by 5-10 grams which might be noticeable and becomes a botheration.
If you have a chance, then I would suggest try out a heavy setup from your clubmates or friends and see if you like it. Also try doing shadow drills on forehand and backhand. Employ your wrist and see how long you can hold it loose and relaxed. This would be enough to give you a correct understand on the optimum weight of your next setup. Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
You are right, that 2 grams would hardly mean anything in terms of weight, but when paired with heavier rubbers the weight of the entire setup might go up by 5-10 grams which might be noticeable and becomes a botheration.

I agree with your statements but the entire setup will get exactly 2.5 grams heavier than his other option.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Do you have any experience choosing blades of their specification?
If you look closer to the specs the lighter blade is the thickest one and the heavy blade is the thinnest one.
so the factors that can influence on this is either glue between the layers or the handle size.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I would agree on most things written so far.
But i seem to have some logical issues with this sentence here:

You are right, that 2 grams would hardly mean anything in terms of weight, but when paired with heavier rubbers the weight of the entire setup might go up by 5-10 grams which might be noticeable and becomes a botheration!

Been trying to visualize this in my imagination. But just can't get it. Maybe somebody can help out here.
How is this supposed to happen?

Does the blade somehow magically come to life and says to itself:
Geez, some heavy-azz tensors. I'll better add up 10 grams, so i won't be too head-heavy??
[Emoji6]
Or does through some strange unknown force the gravity just Iinstantly increase whenever heavy rubbers get glued on so it will be 10 grams heavier?
I'm really struggling a bit right here. Someone please help.
[Emoji23]

Jokes aside:
Good posts so far. Everything else is pretty much on point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Do you have any experience choosing blades of their specification?
If you look closer to the specs the lighter blade is the thickest one and the heavy blade is the thinnest one.
so the factors that can influence on this is either glue between the layers or the handle size.

On the thinner but heavier one, there could also be a denser type of wood used.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would agree on most things written so far.
But i seem to have some logical issues with this sentence here:

Been trying to visualize this in my imagination. But just can't get it. Maybe somebody can help out here.
How is this supposed to happen?

Does the blade somehow magically come to life and says to itself:
Geez, some heavy-azz tensors. I'll better add up 10 grams, so i won't be too head-heavy??
[Emoji6]
Or does through some strange unknown force the gravity just Iinstantly increase whenever heavy rubbers get glued on so it will be 10 grams heavier?
I'm really struggling a bit right here. Someone please help.
[Emoji23]

Jokes aside:
Good posts so far. Everything else is pretty much on point.

This made me laugh. Thanks. Joking around can be fun.

I gave Der_Echte my blade for 30 min one time. I guarantee that afterwards it weight 5-10 grams more in bear sweat. It played better for months as a result of the good vibes from that big bear with the Rambo loop skillz.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This made me laugh. Thanks. Joking around can be fun.

I gave Der_Echte my blade for 30 min one time. I guarantee that afterwards it weight 5-10 grams more in bear sweat. It played better for months as a result of the good vibes from that big bear with the Rambo loop skillz.

Hahaha.

Glad it made you laugh. I wasn't sure if it was completely off.

But you're really getting me interested. Maybe i should also try one of Der_Echte's old blades. It really must be some kind of secret ingredient or there must be some involved magic in his sweat.
It cleans rubbers.... makes blades stiff as a brick become soft as jelly...

Man, what's next?

Maybe i could also spread some of it on an old H3 sponge instead of that expensive Haifu Oil.

Der_ really needs to put that stuff in cans and sell it via ProTT.
[Emoji12]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thank you guys, so the heavier one is what we'd choose then? I'd like to develop into a two - wing looper. I'm not gonna use this blade till I'm more advanced. In the meantime, I'll stick with the commercial HL5.

I don't know how long you have been playing already, but both blades are definitely NO BEGINNER blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I assume he knows what he is walking in to with his current blade being the Hurricane Long V.

You're probably right, but i was just makin' sure, since OP wrote
young dude said:
...I'm not gonna use this blade till I'm more advanced. In the meantime, I'll stick with the commercial HL5.
which isn't makin' a lot of sense to me, since the similatiries of both blades outweigh the differences by far.
But certainly my assumption could be wrong.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Appreciate the inputs. I just graduated from Yasaka Sweden Extra and Mark Vs, since I can't consistently kill anything with it from distance, as long as the opponent is good... Honestly the Hurricane Long 5 setup might be a bit much (it's shipped, I haven't gotten it yet). However, I'm going to get a coach, and didn't wanna waste time / money adapting to further equipments before my dream blade (HL5 and W968). If I find the setup too much to handle even with a coach, I don't mind "downgrading". I don't wanna EJ too much though, ironic right?

But back to topic at hand... between the 2 weights, assuming I can handle the setup, the heavier one is what we're recommending right?

Thank you again!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You're probably right, but i was just makin' sure, since OP wrote

which isn't makin' a lot of sense to me, since the similatiries of both blades outweigh the differences by far.
But certainly my assumption could be wrong.

Yep. I saw the same thing. This phrasing is what got me:

I'd like to develop into a two - wing looper.

If you want to develop into a two winged looper. The best thing to aid in that development would be a simple, 5 ply, ALL Wood blade and rubbers you can develop with.

The ML5 is a great blade. If you want to spend the money and collect the 968 for the future when you ARE a two winged looper. That is fine.

But if what you want to do is develop your skillz, then a 5 ply all wood blade and rubbers that are good for learning to spin is what you want.

Reactions: Suga D
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
I’m looking to buy a DHS W968 blade. The blades are the newer version with smaller face, 158 mm X 150 mm. The two I’m looking at are of the following weight / thickness:

1. 92.5 g / 6.04 mm
2. 90 g / 6.1 mm

The seller recommended the heavier one. Is there a difference really? I mean how closely am I gonna feel 2 grams, or for that matter, 3, 4 grams once rubbers are glued on? I rationalize that the first one feels better in a sense, because it’s heavier, yet thinner, so all else equal the plies are more closely glued, so the ball hits through the blade’s plies easier? Or am I completely overthinking this?

The commercial / cheaper version on DHS's Chinese website is said to be 92+3(g) and 5.9+0.1(mm), so I'm interpreting that to be 92-95 g and 5.9-6 mm, so the first one is closer to specs?

Please let me know, I have issues choosing when faced with options lol…

I know there’s always a risk buying unless you’re getting it directly from “the source”, but please focus on the question asked if you kindly respond. Thank you!

Hi there, you are looking for old version with 2016xxxx serial number or the new version. Ideally, 90 g and 6 mm is the good recombination for W968. There is no need to looking for specific weight and thickness, you won't notice the difference. Long 5 and W968 basically are the same composition blade, just W968 is much better quality though and the difference is not that difficult to tell between two of them. How long have you been using Long 5? How do you get on with it? What set up are you using at the moment? What's the total weight of bat do you prefer?