Handles sizes (DHS/Stiga etc)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I started posting this on another thread where someone was asking about the handle on the DHS 301 v the Fang Bo 2. But I got a bit carried away, so thought I should start a separate thread. This is very simple, but could get very complicated.

Just for interest:

Most of my blades have flared handles. I have 2 x H301s, 1 x FB2 and 1 x PG5.

The FB2 has a handle (measured from the bottom) of 35mmx23mm.
The 301s are very similar in width (maybe 34 -35), but about 25 -26mm in depth.
The PG5 is 34x25.

I prefer the depth to be greater than the 23mm FB2, but I suspect that they may vary across examples. The actual playing parts seem to be identical between the 2 H301s, which is quite impressive as I bought them from different sources at different times. The FB2 and the PG5 seem to have identical plies as well; although they have limba rather than the koto faces on the H301s, the thicknesses of all corresponding plies are very similar. Please allow a .5mm error factor, as I am just using a simple retractable measure. I fitted grip tape on the FB2 to improve the feel (personal preference), so it is hard to measure with anything more accurate.

Of course, can't stop at one, so measured the HL3, which is my favourite handle, at 35x27.
BTY Primorac 34x24.
Stiga AC Master 34x26,
Stiga Maplewood NCT VII 30x25. This last feels fine to me, so the width is, to me, much less important.
The Stiga Legend on my antique is 35x25, but much more square, and I like that too.

Cluttering up the whole thing is variation in taper towards the wings, in both planes. Most of the handles curve in, but the NCT VII has straighter sides, which may account for its ok feel, although the finish especially around the lens is bad, necessitating tape. Obviously the feel in the hand of the blades may be influenced by weight, and relative balance as well. Most of my DHS blades have similar naked weights, 90g +/- 1g. The weight with rubbers varies by about 5g. But to me, it appears that the handle size and shape is at least as important.

I may need to try all of these with a digital vernier caliper, so that I can accurately measure the handles where the thumb and forefinger sit, which may have a lot of correspondence with my preferences. And then I do have some ST handles and at least one AN...

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
i will add some more info tomorrow but definitely good thread ..... as i`m aa blade creator ... many people have special preferences in handle. So i think is really important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi when you write the measurements 35x23 for instance (FB2), you mean the measurements on the "bottom oval"? Wouldn't it be easier to measure the circumference? My DHS W968 is 9,8cm around the base (bottom). My Viscaria L-series is 10cm. Since one never grips the handle that close to the bottom an even more important measurement is around the handle just where the "wings" end, this thickness is always too thin for my taste and I haven't found a handle that feels perfect.

Viscaria L-series "wings end" - 8,5 cm
DHS W968 201601 "wings end" - 8 cm

I started posting this on another thread where someone was asking about the handle on the DHS 301 v the Fang Bo 2. But I got a bit carried away, so thought I should start a separate thread. This is very simple, but could get very complicated.

Just for interest:

Most of my blades have flared handles. I have 2 x H301s, 1 x FB2 and 1 x PG5.

The FB2 has a handle (measured from the bottom) of 35mmx23mm.
The 301s are very similar in width (maybe 34 -35), but about 25 -26mm in depth.
The PG5 is 34x25.

I prefer the depth to be greater than the 23mm FB2, but I suspect that they may vary across examples. The actual playing parts seem to be identical between the 2 H301s, which is quite impressive as I bought them from different sources at different times. The FB2 and the PG5 seem to have identical plies as well; although they have limba rather than the koto faces on the H301s, the thicknesses of all corresponding plies are very similar. Please allow a .5mm error factor, as I am just using a simple retractable measure. I fitted grip tape on the FB2 to improve the feel (personal preference), so it is hard to measure with anything more accurate.

Of course, can't stop at one, so measured the HL3, which is my favourite handle, at 35x27.
BTY Primorac 34x24.
Stiga AC Master 34x26,
Stiga Maplewood NCT VII 30x25. This last feels fine to me, so the width is, to me, much less important.
The Stiga Legend on my antique is 35x25, but much more square, and I like that too.

Cluttering up the whole thing is variation in taper towards the wings, in both planes. Most of the handles curve in, but the NCT VII has straighter sides, which may account for its ok feel, although the finish especially around the lens is bad, necessitating tape. Obviously the feel in the hand of the blades may be influenced by weight, and relative balance as well. Most of my DHS blades have similar naked weights, 90g +/- 1g. The weight with rubbers varies by about 5g. But to me, it appears that the handle size and shape is at least as important.

I may need to try all of these with a digital vernier caliper, so that I can accurately measure the handles where the thumb and forefinger sit, which may have a lot of correspondence with my preferences. And then I do have some ST handles and at least one AN...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I considered measuring the circumference, but frankly, for me, that is less important than the apparent thickness of the handle. So that the Stiga NCT above, which has a much smaller circumference than others, is still very comfortable to me with the 25mm thickness. More so than the FB2, which has bigger circumference, but is thinner. It's to do with the way if fits in the hand. I am not claiming that this is the ultimate factor for everyone, but I do notice a lot of complaints about the thinness of some handles.

I am quite surprised by the difference 2 mm can make. Especially when I only really grip the handle by thumb and forefinger. Perhaps something to do with the pressure needed at that point being greater if the handle is thinner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The circumference is the thickness in other words :) The shape is also important but as I write above the measurement where the wings end is the most relevant since here is where you actually grip the handle. If this spot is too thin it requires the hand to grip the handle too firmly resulting in a tense grip and far from optimal feeling.

It would be great if people who own Stiga blades with Legend and Master flared handles could provide measurement for above.

I considered measuring the circumference, but frankly, for me, that is less important than the apparent thickness of the handle. So that the Stiga NCT above, which has a much smaller circumference than others, is still very comfortable to me with the 25mm thickness. More so than the FB2, which has bigger circumference, but is thinner. It's to do with the way if fits in the hand. I am not claiming that this is the ultimate factor for everyone, but I do notice a lot of complaints about the thinness of some handles.

I am quite surprised by the difference 2 mm can make. Especially when I only really grip the handle by thumb and forefinger. Perhaps something to do with the pressure needed at that point being greater if the handle is thinner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
Nittaku Barwell Fleet Flared - 9,7 cm circumference, 8,3 cm at wings end.
l agree that the best way to measure handle size is circumference with a cloth tape .. really needs to measure at 3 points at the butt middle of handle and throat .......Lawn tennis handles with flats are in 1to 5 sizes [lplayed tennis for 35 years before table tennis ] l had trouble with all handle grips flare straight and anatomic all too thin at the throat l play with a built up anatomic GEWO force arc sizes 11.0 cms 10.5cms and 10.2 cms at the throat [built up with thin veneers on four sides glued with super glue .. no problem except l can never sell the blade ..!! in time l will make the handle thinner with sandpaper [l expect] friends handles l measured are Timo boll ALC straight is 9.7 cms the best and biggest l have seen is the tibhar carbon light squarish at 10cms straight handle .. Victas look like they are squarish and may be 10cms straight [l wish] all flares l saw appear to be 8.5 cms or smaller at the throat ? much to thin ..so have to stick with what l have got ...also l have filed down two opposite flats so my backhand loop is fitted inside my palm.. no edges . fits like a kid glove ... it added 7 grams to blade weight now weighs 92 gms ..fine for me ..

This user has no status.
Stiga Legend handle measurements on my Stiga Infinity VPS V:

width: 36mm
depth: 26mm
circumference (thicker end): 106mm
circumference (thinnest point): 86mm
total length: 100mm
mailan kahva.jpg
mailan kahva 2.jpg
I hope these were of any use!:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
The Legend handles of both my Infinity's are identical but they are " fatter" than the handles of my hardwood serie blades ( Rosewood 5, Ebenholz 5).
I think i like the Legend Clipper the most.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Stiga Inspira CCF master:
length 101.3mm; width 26 - 25.8 - 35; height 23 - 26.3
Wings ends length: 25mm